Author Topic: Time to thank the Freedom Caucus for stopping Obamacarelite  (Read 2842 times)

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
Time to thank the Freedom Caucus for stopping Obamacarelite
« on: March 25, 2017, 06:56:07 pm »
Folks,

I am going to contact all of the members of the Freedom Caucus (Ken Buck is from my state) and personally THANK them for stopping the bill to tinker with Obamacare.  I will also strongly encourage them to dust off one of the Obamacare repeal bills that was sent to President Obama and remind the other Republican members of the House of their prior voting record.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_Caucus#Membership

I encourage the membership to do the same.

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
Re: Time to thank the Freedom Caucus for stopping Obamacarelite
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 07:37:09 am »
I agree completely.

Tinkering around the edges of a nightmare still leaves you with a nightmare.  What I hear from the majority of Republicans is, "pass something, anything".  You'd think we'd have learned our lessons from the past but we're apparently not as smart as we think we are as a nation.

Offline Hondo69

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 08:02:04 am »
Outside The Box

Here's a few ideas that really aren't that far outside the box.

[1] Parallel Universe
Just let ObamaCare wallow in it's own filth until it collapses.  But at the same time pass a bill allowing for Free Market health insurance.  Let the two systems compete side by side.  We already know the outcome of such a strategy and one would have to think it would have the support of all the Republicans.  The Liberal Republicans can have their Socialized medicine they seem to love so much and free Americans can go on about their lives in a somewhat decent fashion.  As a rider to the bill, change the name of ObamaCare to ObamaCaid since most new members who signed up got stuck with Medicaid anyway.  Changing the name of ObamaCare will help to clarify minds.

[2] Medical Marijuana Approach
Follow Colorado's lead and tell the Federal Government they can kiss my ass.  A state such as Texas can pass their own law for Free Market healthcare and if the president determines he doesn't like that approach he can choose to sic the Justice Department on the case.  Otherwise, it's a don't ask don't tell situation.  Congress will squawk for a few minutes, but secretly they'll be happy we cut out the middleman.

[3] Coop Creation
We have in existence today real live working examples of coops that actually work really well.  They provide the template for others to follow.  About 1,000 patients are served by a handful of doctors and their support staff.  They are structured to keep costs low and negotiate with drug companies for the best prices on prescriptions.  Win/Win is not a formula we are used to in America but we could learn to adapt.

Online DB

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 08:20:40 am »
Outside The Box

Here's a few ideas that really aren't that far outside the box.

[1] Parallel Universe
Just let ObamaCare wallow in it's own filth until it collapses.  But at the same time pass a bill allowing for Free Market health insurance.  Let the two systems compete side by side.  We already know the outcome of such a strategy and one would have to think it would have the support of all the Republicans.  The Liberal Republicans can have their Socialized medicine they seem to love so much and free Americans can go on about their lives in a somewhat decent fashion.  As a rider to the bill, change the name of ObamaCare to ObamaCaid since most new members who signed up got stuck with Medicaid anyway.  Changing the name of ObamaCare will help to clarify minds.

[2] Medical Marijuana Approach
Follow Colorado's lead and tell the Federal Government they can kiss my ass.  A state such as Texas can pass their own law for Free Market healthcare and if the president determines he doesn't like that approach he can choose to sic the Justice Department on the case.  Otherwise, it's a don't ask don't tell situation.  Congress will squawk for a few minutes, but secretly they'll be happy we cut out the middleman.

[3] Coop Creation
We have in existence today real live working examples of coops that actually work really well.  They provide the template for others to follow.  About 1,000 patients are served by a handful of doctors and their support staff.  They are structured to keep costs low and negotiate with drug companies for the best prices on prescriptions.  Win/Win is not a formula we are used to in America but we could learn to adapt.

That doesn't work if the federal government is taxing people in those states to fund those federal programs that they are not otherwise participating in.

Offline Hondo69

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 01:19:44 pm »
That doesn't work if the federal government is taxing people in those states to fund those federal programs that they are not otherwise participating in.

Yes, some snarly issues would remain.  These are the same old problems people have been arguing for years about taxes.

Take Medicare for example.  If you get a paycheck you pay for Medicare and odds are you don't use it at all.  Plus, your employer matches the amount you pay and the employer doesn't use Medicare either.

If you own a home but have no kids you still pay a ton of taxes for your local school system.

I could go on and on, the examples are endless.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 01:00:25 am »
Yes, some snarly issues would remain.  These are the same old problems people have been arguing for years about taxes.

Take Medicare for example.  If you get a paycheck you pay for Medicare and odds are you don't use it at all.  Plus, your employer matches the amount you pay and the employer doesn't use Medicare either.

If you own a home but have no kids you still pay a ton of taxes for your local school system.

I could go on and on, the examples are endless.
eh, eventually you will use Medicare. That is how it was designed.  Are you thinking of 'opting out'?  Not easy and why would you anyway?

School districts are supported by real estate taxes everywhere.  Since you were a kid at some point, they did support you too, unless you were in private school, and that is where a voucher system comes in.

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Hondo69

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 11:10:20 am »
School districts are supported by real estate taxes everywhere.  Since you were a kid at some point, they did support you too, unless you were in private school, and that is where a voucher system comes in.

When I was a kid the unions didn't run a nationalized school system.  Now they do.

The premise in 1965 was simple - pay your real estate taxes and we'll build schools.  No one brought up the topics of brainwashing, money laundering, or education by Cliff Notes.  While some of that may have occurred in 1965 it was more in the form of localized graft.  Quite a bit different than what we have today - a nationalized plot derived straight out of Rules For Radicals.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 11:59:59 am »
And thank them for outing Trump as a fraudster liberal.