Author Topic: Here we go: Trump now ready to work with Democrats on health-care fix  (Read 42129 times)

Silver Pines

Here we go: Trump now ready to work with Democrats on health-care fix

By Allahpundit
March 24, 2017

Worth watching the whole clip below just to see how many times he circles back to the idea of a bipartisan health-care deal with Democrats. He told WaPo the same thing in an interview this afternoon: “As you know, I’ve been saying for years that the best thing is to let Obamacare explode and then go make a deal with the Democrats and have one unified deal. And they will come to us, we won’t have to come to them.” The 2019 public option is going to be really, really terrific, that I can tell you. So terrific you won’t believe how terrific!

Read more at:

http://hotair.com/archives/2017/03/24/here-we-go-trump-now-ready-to-work-with-democrats-on-health-care-fix/

Offline Mesaclone

Re: Here we go: Trump now ready to work with Democrats on health-care fix
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 03:27:42 pm »
Here we go: Trump now ready to work with Democrats on health-care fix

By Allahpundit
March 24, 2017

Worth watching the whole clip below just to see how many times he circles back to the idea of a bipartisan health-care deal with Democrats. He told WaPo the same thing in an interview this afternoon: “As you know, I’ve been saying for years that the best thing is to let Obamacare explode and then go make a deal with the Democrats and have one unified deal. And they will come to us, we won’t have to come to them.” The 2019 public option is going to be really, really terrific, that I can tell you. So terrific you won’t believe how terrific!

Read more at:

http://hotair.com/archives/2017/03/24/here-we-go-trump-now-ready-to-work-with-democrats-on-health-care-fix/

Well, he certainly tried working with Republicans...who had a once in a generation shot to end Obamacare...but they dropped the ball. At least, some of them...Ryan failed to garner any consensus, and the Freedom Caucus were too stubborn to make some compromises (and yes, politics IS the art of compromise....within the bounds of reasonable principle). The Great Ronaldus Magnus understood this, the Freedom Caucus doesn't. Thus we get failure and humiliation.

Obamacare is imploding, no doubt about it, so as president he has little choice but to work with Dems to prevent disaster. A president can't just let a major chunk of the economy go into total free fall...politically beneficial as that might be in the short term. This choice of letting the economy collapse around Obamacare or working with the Dems is what the Freedom Caucus has wrought...and I say that as someone who agreed with most of their ideas on Health Care. They have let the perfect be the enemy of the good...or even the mediocre...and now we are left with the utter train wreck of Obamacare. Not a wise choice.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 03:30:00 pm »
Well, he certainly tried working with Republicans...who had a once in a generation shot to end Obamacare...but they dropped the ball. At least, some of them...Ryan failed to garner any consensus, and the Freedom Caucus were too stubborn to make some compromises (and yes, politics IS the art of compromise....within the bounds of reasonable principle). The Great Ronaldus Magnus understood this, the Freedom Caucus doesn't. Thus we get failure and humiliation.

Obamacare is imploding, no doubt about it, so as president he has little choice but to work with Dems to prevent disaster. A president can't just let a major chunk of the economy go into total free fall...politically beneficial as that might be in the short term. This choice of letting the economy collapse around Obamacare or working with the Dems is what the Freedom Caucus has wrought...and I say that as someone who agreed with most of their ideas on Health Care. They have let the perfect be the enemy of the good...or even the mediocre...and now we are left with the utter train wreck of Obamacare. Not a wise choice.

Why blame the Freedom Caucus only? I understand the 'moderates' were at least as obstinate.

As far as I can tell the Freedom Caucus' position on this was the same Trump staked out during the campaign, right? Repeal, not tweak.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 03:30:50 pm by skeeter »

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 03:31:19 pm »
Ivanka moved into the white house a few days ago so what did anyone expect?

The Schwarzenegger-ification of the Trump Presidency has begun. In 3 years Trump will be a bigger green economy advocate than Obama was.

Just watch.

Offline anubias

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 04:01:47 pm »
This article is by Allahpundit after all.  He went by the wayside long ago.

I watched the clip and did not take away the same thoughts as you.  He stated that the Democrats own Obamacare.  They did not support the bill and now 0care will fail.  I took it that they Dems will have to crawl to the Republicans to get a Healthcare bill in future.  Trump went to great pains not to blame any Rs, but placing blame squarely on the Ds.  Trump didn't seem overly disappointed that he would have to let 0care fall on its ass as he is no longer required to do something about it as he "tried."  Good politics imo.  Granted, I would have prefer to hear they are going to repeal it, but letting it fail is better than the travesty Ryan tried to ram down our throats imo.  To say or do so would have placed blame on the Conservatives at this point.  I do wish Trump would have had the guts from the beginning to just repeal it and be done with it, but I assume he did not due to his Democrat daughter and the fear of losing voters. 

Now we need to get Ryan out of the speakership and replace him with a Conservative if it is at all possible so that we can get other Conservative policy passed.

Silver Pines

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 04:09:09 pm »

@Mesaclone

Right, the Freedom Caucus...those guys who actually were fighting to keep seven years' worth of promises. 

And the two dozen or so moderates who jumped ship to side with them.  Don't forget them, now.

There was nothing good about that mess Trump and Ryan tried to push off on the American people.  But you go right ahead and side with the Democrats.

Silver Pines

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 04:11:47 pm »

I watched the clip and did not take away the same thoughts as you.  He stated that the Democrats own Obamacare.  They did not support the bill and now 0care will fail.  I took it that they Dems will have to crawl to the Republicans to get a Healthcare bill in future.  Trump went to great pains not to blame any Rs, but placing blame squarely on the Ds.  Trump didn't seem overly disappointed that he would have to let 0care fall on its ass as he is no longer required to do something about it as he "tried."  Good politics imo.  Granted, I would have prefer to hear they are going to repeal it, but letting it fail is better than the travesty Ryan tried to ram down our throats imo.  To say or do so would have placed blame on the Conservatives at this point.  I do wish Trump would have had the guts from the beginning to just repeal it and be done with it, but I assume he did not due to his Democrat daughter and the fear of losing voters. 

Now we need to get Ryan out of the speakership and replace him with a Conservative if it is at all possible so that we can get other Conservative policy passed.

@anubias

Whoops, my bad, I should have posted something from Infowars or Gateway Pundit for more journalistic credibility.

What about the president who wrapped himself around Ryan and this bill, said he was behind it 100%, and threatened those who refused to support it?  You can't separate him out of this.  He's as establishment as Ryan.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 04:12:02 pm »
Yeah I'm sure the democrats are going to be all about making deals in favor of American freedom.  :silly:

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2017, 04:18:37 pm »
...who had a once in a generation shot to end Obamacare...

FALSE premise

The Trump/Ryan bill would NOT have ended Obamacare.  The way to end Obamacare has already passed Congress on at least two separate occasions.  The same repeal bill should be sent to President Trump.

Offline endicom

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2017, 04:23:07 pm »
...politics IS the art of compromise...

Politics is the art of the possible, said a mustachioed German fella.

Offline LonestarDream

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2017, 04:52:53 pm »
+1000

(?) Trump Realist    (*) Trump believer   (?) Never Trump,   Which are you ?

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2017, 05:12:19 pm »
I have a feeling that this is just the 1st chapter of "oops we have been duped". from the gullible orange hoard here.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2017, 05:25:12 pm »
I have a feeling that this is just the 1st chapter of "oops we have been duped". from the gullible orange hoard here.

Candidate Trump would be calling out GOP moderates, who insisted on Obamacare Lite instead of the promised repeal and caused this fiasco, by name. Instead he's named the 'democrats' as the guilty party.

This is discouraging because it means we're back to the same ol' two card monte scam - 'gee we can't do this because we have no support from the democrats'.

If Trump and Ryan were serious they'd be pinching GOP moderates' nuts right now. Those flakes have to be brought in line by hook or crook. Take away committee assignments. Promise to sabotage pet legislation. In other words do what the democrats do to get everyone in line and deliver to the voters who put you where you are.

But sadly it does not look like its in the cards.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 05:25:38 pm by skeeter »

Offline anubias

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2017, 05:26:11 pm »

If we get a Conservative speaker that actually cares about America and not his elitist pals, then it won't matter what Trump truly wants.  He will have to sign what he gets.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2017, 05:26:25 pm »

@Mesaclone

Truth...
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2017, 05:27:33 pm »
Why blame the Freedom Caucus only? I understand the 'moderates' were at least as obstinate.

Because the Freedom Caucus' argument looks like "no loaf is better than half a loaf".  They weren't willing to settle for only a partial repeal of ObamaCare, and the result is that we may get stuck with the entire thing.  Or worse.

The moderates are in a different position because they don't hate ObamaCare as much as does the Freedom Caucus.  So if the deal falls apart...they can live with that.

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2017, 05:29:38 pm »

@Mesaclone

Truth...

No, it starts from a FALSE premise so it can't be truth.
The GOP has ALREADY passed (more than once) a repeal of Obamacare and sent it to President Obama.  They should do the same again for President Trump

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2017, 05:33:41 pm »
@Mesaclone

Obamacare is imploding, no doubt about it, so as president he has little choice but to work with Dems to prevent disaster.

Only certain parts of ObamaCare are imploding.  The best thing about Ryan's plan was shifting the federal Medicaid expansion funds to a block grant, which would then be reduced over time.  This deal falling apart likely means we're going to be stuck with federally-funded Medicaid expansion forever.  That part will stay even if the individual exchanges fall apart because the Medicaid expansion will not implode.

The death spiral that would otherwise implode can be fixed by additional federal money and the re-institution of the insurance pool subsidies that were eliminated by the Rubio Amendment.

The Freedom Caucus is proceeding on the fundamentally flawed assumption that they can just let the individual exchanges fail, and then people will be forced to accept conservative solutions.  The see the deal falling apart as increasing their long-term leverage.  It doesn't.  And their leverage will vanish completely if/when the Dems retake the House in 2018.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2017, 05:33:41 pm »

As far as I can tell the Freedom Caucus' position on this was the same Trump staked out during the campaign, right? Repeal, not tweak.

I don't blame the Freedom Caucus only.  They were just part of the problem, and were publicly vocal about their opposition, but I have no sense that they took part in actually crafting or affecting the bill. 

The 'moderates' were opposed to "repeal," and that was the politically sound position.  They were also against some of the measures that happened also to be the ones that the usual suspects on the left were able to use to good effect. 

The entire bill was a mistake -- why make it all one bill in the first place?  Were there no options for dealing with it in pieces?  It's harder to generate media hysteria that way, and it's easier to adjust as things progress.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2017, 05:42:26 pm »
@Mesaclone

Only certain parts of ObamaCare are imploding.  The best thing about Ryan's plan was shifting the federal Medicaid expansion funds to a block grant, which would then be reduced over time.  This deal falling apart likely means we're going to be stuck with federally-funded Medicaid expansion forever.  That part will stay even if the individual exchanges fall apart because the Medicaid expansion will not implode.

So.... as a standalone bill, how would that part play out?  Is there a way to do just that, in a manner that avoids the hysteria?

The death spiral that would otherwise implode can be fixed by additional federal money and the re-institution of the insurance pool subsidies that were eliminated by the Rubio Amendment.

Is that good or bad?  The death spiral is in part due to the fact that costs are rising so quickly for the insurance companies that they're pulling out.  Federal money could perhaps draw the companies back, but it does nothing about the rising costs.  This is where Larry Kudlow's idea -- to deal with the expensive 5% separately from the relatively healthy 95% -- gets its traction.  Is there a way to implement that in a reasonable manner?  IF the insurance companies don't have to deal with the 5%, does the general death spiral stop?

The Freedom Caucus is proceeding on the fundamentally flawed assumption that they can just let the individual exchanges fail, and then people will be forced to accept conservative solutions.  The see the deal falling apart as increasing their long-term leverage.  It doesn't.  And their leverage will vanish completely if/when the Dems retake the House in 2018.

Precisely.  If the individual exchanges fail, it will be a "Hoover's fault" windfall for the Democrats.  As un-conservative as it sounds, the Republicans' best chance seems to be based in fixing or replacing the worst parts of Obamacare.  Failure to address the current problems -- the "let it fail" gambit -- will only help the Democrats.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2017, 05:45:59 pm »
I don't blame the Freedom Caucus only.  They were just part of the problem, and were publicly vocal about their opposition, but I have no sense that they took part in actually crafting or affecting the bill. 

The 'moderates' were opposed to "repeal," and that was the politically sound position.  They were also against some of the measures that happened also to be the ones that the usual suspects on the left were able to use to good effect. 

The entire bill was a mistake -- why make it all one bill in the first place?  Were there no options for dealing with it in pieces?  It's harder to generate media hysteria that way, and it's easier to adjust as things progress.

Agree. My understanding is the leadership did not allow individual amendments, it was a take it or leave it deal. They left it.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2017, 05:50:00 pm »
@r9etb

So.... as a standalone bill, how would that part play out?  Is there a way to do just that, in a manner that avoids the hysteria?

I wish there was, but no.   That specific provision of the bill was something that 5 GOP Senators have said they don't like because they want to keep it a federal entitlement.  So, you'd have to give them some other concessions to win their votes on that.  That's kind of the problem with the whole thing -- you have to make it a package deal to get enough votes, but you also lose votes when you add things on to the package.

I don't think it is a matter of flawed strategy on the part of Ryan.  I just don't think it is possible to get majority GOP support on a bill, period.  The Freedom Caucus won't accept anything that isn't close to a full repeal, and the moderates won't accept anything that is.  That's just where we arel.

IF the insurance companies don't have to deal with the 5%, does the general death spiral stop?

Yes.

Precisely.  If the individual exchanges fail, it will be a "Hoover's fault" windfall for the Democrats.  As un-conservative as it sounds, the Republicans' best chance seems to be based in fixing or replacing the worst parts of Obamacare.  Failure to address the current problems -- the "let it fail" gambit -- will only help the Democrats.

I wish we didn't agree on that.  I personally would take a deal that only got rid of 20% of ObamaCare, but kept 80%.  Maybe there's a chance to knock of additional 20% chunks in the future.  But the Freedom Caucus and a lot of folks just aren't willing to do that, and so we're going to end up getting rid of very little, if any, of it.  In fact, if Trump couldn't cobble together a "fix" bill with a GOP majority, then he may just work with Democrats and some of the moderate GOP types who don't want to see it implode.  In other words, rather than keeping 80% of Obamacare, we may end up with 120% or more of it.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 05:53:22 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline r9etb

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2017, 06:05:28 pm »
I wish there was, but no.   That specific provision of the bill was something that 5 GOP Senators have said they don't like because they want to keep it a federal entitlement.  So, you'd have to give them some other concessions to win their votes on that.  That's kind of the problem with the whole thing -- you have to make it a package deal to get enough votes, but you also lose votes when you add things on to the package.

I don't think it is a matter of flawed strategy on the part of Ryan.  I just don't think it is possible to get majority GOP support on a bill, period.  The Freedom Caucus won't accept anything that isn't close to a full repeal, and the moderates won't accept anything that is.  That's just where we arel.

So if I read it correctly, your sense of the politics is that a bigger bill was necessary just to enable the deal-making.  Which seems logical.  And understanding that Ryan or any Speaker has to live in that universe allows me to cut him more slack that some would.

Still: it seems to me that it is at least possible to find some sort of common ground relative to Medicaid funding, and perhaps an effort could be made to find and pass such a compromise.  But if you're correct that it would never fly, then a different broken piece can be attacked first -- the death spiral being an obvious place to look (even if solutions are probably not simple).

Offline endicom

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2017, 06:09:46 pm »
Instead he's named the 'democrats' as the guilty party.

This is discouraging...

It's not discouraging to me. He took the focus off of the Republicans in putting the onus where it belongs, on the Democrats.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2017, 07:00:16 pm »
No, it starts from a FALSE premise so it can't be truth.
The GOP has ALREADY passed (more than once) a repeal of Obamacare and sent it to President Obama.  They should do the same again for President Trump

Looks like Ryan proved what both conservative critics and Dems have been saying about him for years:  the attempts to repeal Obastardcare were just a cynical ploy.  Ryan never had any intention of repealing, and Chinless McConnell hasn't yet had the chance to prove he doesn't want to repeal it either.

At this point the only game in town is waiting for O'care to collapse under its own weight, and since the GOPe has been fighting any kind of reform, the masses of asses will be screaming for UK/Canadian style government health care.  We're screwed.

Meanwhile, Trump squandered a lot of his "outsider" cred by trying to force down this shit sandwich of a bill.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: