Author Topic: Should Residents of Baltimore and Chicago "Fleeing Violence" be Given Asylum in Canada?  (Read 274 times)

rangerrebew

Should Residents of Baltimore and Chicago "Fleeing Violence" be Given Asylum in Canada?

By David Seminara, March 23, 2017

Is it just me or are all Democrats and pro-immigration Republicans reading from the same scripts these days? How many times have you heard variations on this hackneyed sentiment?

We're a nation of immigrants, so we need to bring hard-working, tax paying immigrants who are fleeing violence out of the shadows and give them a path to citizenship.

The talking point I find most offensive is the "fleeing violence" bit. I have no problem with this characterization to describe a migrant who is coming here from an active war zone, like Syria, even if they have already spent time in other safe countries on their way here. But when I hear politicians from some of America's most dangerous cities making blanket statements about migrants from Latin America settling in their cities to escape violence, it makes me want to throw heavy objects at the television set.

Take, for example, Zeke Cohen, a Baltimore city councilman, who recently likened ICE agents to Nazis. Cohen doubled down on this offensive characterization in an appearance on the Tucker Carlson show on Tuesday night. He compared (illegal) Central American immigrants, whom he claimed were "fleeing violence", to his great-grandmother, whom he said fled Austria to escape the Holocaust.

http://cis.org/seminara/should-residents-baltimore-and-chicago-fleeing-violence-be-given-asylum-canada
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 12:53:28 pm by rangerrebew »