Author Topic: One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind: China grows world's first 'space mangoes'  (Read 1076 times)

Offline Suppressed

One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind: China grows world's first 'space mangoes'
BY ALEX LINDER IN NEWS   ON MAR 23, 2017 7:55 PM
http://shanghaiist.com/2017/03/23/space_mangoes.php

Apparently, China's Shenzhou-11 mission last year is already starting to bear fruit with the successful breeding of the world's first "space mangoes."

Peng Longrong, the leader of the project, recently showed off the new green buds of this out of this world fruit to CCTV cameras at a research lab in Hainan. The buds were spawned from embryonic cells of a mango that was taken to space for experimental tests last November.

While in space, astronauts performed a series of "space breeding" experiments on mangoes, subjecting the fruits to unusual conditions in order to quickly allow them to adapt new and advantageous genetic traits.

Excerpt.  Read more at http://shanghaiist.com/2017/03/23/space_mangoes.php
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Joe Wooten

So, sounds like the Chicoms are experimenting with Lysenkoism. Stalin did not do enough to discredit that idiot theory of biology.......

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
These are plants. Where is the fruit?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

geronl

Space Mangoes

good name for a rock band

geronl

These are plants. Where is the fruit?

those plants are nowhere near mature enough to grow fruit

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
those plants are nowhere near mature enough to grow fruit
My point precisely. Nothing to eat there, move along please...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis