Author Topic: Trump Kids’ Aspen Ski Trip Will Require 100 Secret Service Agents: Report  (Read 1546 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I agree with Restored above (reply 4).

Yes, some SS protection is required.
But... 100 of 'em?

Surely, the Trumps have their own security as well (bodyguards, etc.).

Aside:
Then again, there's probably a lot of TDS on the expensive ski slopes of Colorado...
My impression of Aspen was that the former silver mining town went pretty hard left when it became trendy.
When security has to cover everything from the kitchen to any vantage points that could provide a line of fire they have a lot to keep an eye on, while any 'bad guy' only has to get it right once.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
If you are comparing to the previous management, http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2866299/President-Obama-charges-taxpayers-1-7-MILLION-one-night-hotel-stay-G20-summit-Australia.html

$1.7 million (one night in Brisbane)
2.9 million one night in Brussels (just hotels and rental cars, not full cost)

Consider vehicles are flown in or stripped down and inspected, rooms are stripped down and inspected, swept for bugs, etc. There is a lot more to this than a couple of guys with 18 inch necks and earwigs in dark suits, and the most serious aspects will not end up on TV, especially if they are effective.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online DB

They're not the President. They're not even government officials. The Secret Service has no business giving them personal protection, free or otherwise.

This is the reality of the job. There are any number of people that would like to take out Trump and/or his family as a result of Trump's service to the country. Securing people traveling outside of fixed secured locations is very difficult and only getting more so with modern communications, drones, etc.

My only issue is that those being protected need to understand that they cannot go wherever they like and they need to limit their travels to what is practical and not outrageously expensive to secure. There are limits. They also need to limit how often they take these sort of trips. This compromise comes with the job their father sought and won and that should be understood as one of the consequences of it.

So thinking about it, what should really happen is an overall 4 year budget should be setup by congress for this purpose and the people being secured need to live within it when used for recreational purposes. If they want to travel more than the budget allows then they can kick in what goes over the budget.