Author Topic: Trump’s Weary Defenders Face Fresh Worries  (Read 2062 times)

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Trump’s Weary Defenders Face Fresh Worries
« on: March 21, 2017, 02:25:09 am »
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/20/us/trump-obama-wiretap-comey.html?smprod=nytcore-iphone&smid=nytcore-iphone-share&mtrref=t.co&gwh=DAA7958968599D94B15F05E6A8D2AE64&gwt=pay&_r=0

WASHINGTON — President Trump began Monday as he has started so many other presidential mornings — by unleashing a blistering Twitter attack on critics who suggested his 2016 campaign colluded with the Russians.

By the afternoon the director of the F.B.I., James B. Comey, had systematically demolished his arguments in a remarkable public takedown of a sitting president.

Even a close ally of Mr. Trump, Representative Devin Nunes, Republican of California and the House Intelligence Committee chairman, conceded that “a gray cloud” of suspicion now hung over the White House by the end of the day’s hearings.

The testimony of Mr. Comey and that of Adm. Michael S. Rogers, his National Security Agency counterpart, will most likely enervate and distract Mr. Trump’s administration for weeks, if not longer, overshadowing good news, like the impressive debut of Judge Neil M. Gorsuch, his Supreme Court nominee, on the first day of his confirmation hearings on Monday.

Continue reading the main story
But it’s the obsessiveness and ferocity of Mr. Trump’s pushback against the Russian allegations, often untethered from fact or tact, that is making an uncertain situation worse.

Offline Victoria33

Re: Trump’s Weary Defenders Face Fresh Worries
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 02:39:23 am »
"...will most likely enervate and distract Mr. Trump’s administration for weeks, if not longer,..."

It won't die because Trump himself won't let it die.  Maybe now he realizes he should stop lying because this is serious stuff, but it will be the first time he has shut up in his lifetime, if he does it.  He had a rally tonight and said nothing about it.  Let's see if the twitter lies/attacks stop.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 06:00:31 am »
"...will most likely enervate and distract Mr. Trump’s administration for weeks, if not longer,..."

It won't die because Trump himself won't let it die.  Maybe now he realizes he should stop lying because this is serious stuff, but it will be the first time he has shut up in his lifetime, if he does it.  He had a rally tonight and said nothing about it.  Let's see if the twitter lies/attacks stop.

Are we making too much of this or will it actually be self-destruction?
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline DB

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 06:15:59 am »
Are we making too much of this or will it actually be self-destruction?

I don't see how this particular event will be his self-destruction or even close. It might be death by thousand cuts if he can't get his behavior under control. It is a given the opposition will take every opportunity Trump provides to attack him. A major rule of war, don't arm your enemy - he should know better.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 06:17:37 am »
I don't see how this particular event will be his self-destruction or even close. It might be death by thousand cuts if he can't get his behavior under control. It is a given the opposition will take every opportunity Trump provides to attack him. A major rule of war, don't arm your enemy - he should know better.

I know he should but he won't.  But will we eventually get tired of over-reacting and end of the world stuff .... I can live with him tweeting every day if he will get the job done.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline DB

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 06:23:50 am »
I know he should but he won't.  But will we eventually get tired of over-reacting and end of the world stuff .... I can live with him tweeting every day if he will get the job done.

It is hard if not impossible to "get the job done" if no one believes you. In a free society leaders can only lead when people trust them.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 06:36:18 am »
It is hard if not impossible to "get the job done" if no one believes you. In a free society leaders can only lead when people trust them.
It affects foreign relations, too. Credibility is important.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 06:47:52 am »

No one believed Obama and he went for 8 years. Same with Bush and Slick Willie. Their called politicians for a reason.

Offline DB

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 07:09:49 am »
No one believed Obama and he went for 8 years. Same with Bush and Slick Willie. Their called politicians for a reason.

The party faithful did.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 07:22:01 am »
The party faithful did.
Yeah, he was going to pay their rent and fill their gas tank out of his 'stash'....

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 09:26:32 am »
If only someone had warned them.  :whistle:

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 09:30:10 am »
Yeah, he was going to pay their rent and fill their gas tank out of his 'stash'....

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 11:21:17 am »

Well, there are those of us who suspected that mentality, but we were repeatedly told how wrong we were... :nometalk:
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 11:21:55 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

• Technical
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 11:33:36 am »

I wonder if we will see the ideologies flip parties. The GOP is now the party for white, geriatric "gibsmedat" voters.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 11:43:43 am »
I wonder if we will see the ideologies flip parties. The GOP is now the party for white, geriatric "gibsmedat" voters.
Geriatric "gibsmedats"? When people pay for a car over years, they don't expect to get a broken down bicycle. I have paid into programs for  over 75% of my life, and have years to go before I can consider filing for any benefit. I will have paid for those in advance if I get to collect.
I have a friend out of the service on a medical discharge for injuries received in the service. I figure he earned those benefits.
I didn't get unemployment when my job left (I was self employed and would not have been eligible anyway), I had no college loans, got no medicaid when I had zero income for 18 months, etc. some gibsmedat.

Maybe you're dealing with a younger set?

C S Lewis

• Technical
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2017, 11:47:18 am »
Geriatric "gibsmedats"? When people pay for a car over years, they don't expect to get a broken down bicycle. I have paid into programs for  over 75% of my life, and have years to go before I can consider filing for any benefit. I will have paid for those in advance if I get to collect.
I have a friend out of the service on a medical discharge for injuries received in the service. I figure he earned those benefits.
I didn't get unemployment when my job left (I was self employed and would not have been eligible anyway), I had no college loans, got no medicaid when I had zero income for 18 months, etc. some gibsmedat.

Trump represents a group who want the government to intervene in the market to give them freebies. They also want him to preserve their own version of welfare benefits.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2017, 12:02:31 pm »
Trump represents a group who want the government to intervene in the market to give them freebies. They also want him to preserve their own version of welfare benefits.
Kindly explain what group, what freebies?

C S Lewis

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2017, 12:05:28 pm »

There's a big difference between those who take what they've paid for, the truly needy, and the alt right "nationalists" who just want to make welfare white again.

I want to see things like social security ended but know it can't happen overnight. We've got to figure out how to pay those who paid into for their whole lives while eliminating it at the bottom end where new workers entering the workforce pay into it.

• Technical
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2017, 12:06:43 pm »
Kindly explain what group, what freebies?

They want gubment protection from competition for one.

How much attention did Trump give to making sure that people's SS and medicare and SSDI, and even Obamacare were not touched? He specifically said that, repeatedly.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 12:07:02 pm by Weird Tolkienish Figure »

• Technical
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2017, 12:08:09 pm »
There's a big difference between those who take what they've paid for, the truly needy, and the alt right "nationalists" who just want to make welfare white again.

I want to see things like social security ended but know it can't happen overnight. We've got to figure out how to pay those who paid into for their whole lives while eliminating it at the bottom end where new workers entering the workforce pay into it.

SS and medicare can be solved with a "cash out option". Give people a lump sum when they retire and that's it.

• Technical
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2017, 12:11:04 pm »
I've been paying for food stamps, SSDI, Medicaid, and God knows what else all my life. Clearly I deserve a few years on the dole. I've paid into the system all my life and never taken a dime out.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2017, 12:17:21 pm »

Where I grew up, in the Tidewater of MD, white folks didn't take welfare. They'd be humiliated beyond belief to be on "Relief". When I was out in the Appalachians as a young man, no one out there would take welfare, they provided their own, and looked out for their own, it was a point of pride. When I got to North Dakota, well, welfare, again wasn't for white men who were supposed to work hard or they were just 'bums'. Even unemployment had a stigma, except that when the late 70s oil boom crashed so many were on it.
But 'welfare'? No.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2017, 12:25:40 pm »
I've been paying for food stamps, SSDI, Medicaid, and God knows what else all my life. Clearly I deserve a few years on the dole. I've paid into the system all my life and never taken a dime out.
So have most of us. I had five years I paid over $400K in taxes. I could use that money now, and invest it well for my retirement. It's gone. So it goes.
I figure some went to pay for Bighead Fred's meds, a lady I know who got a blood clot in her spine and will never walk again, to pay for some GWOT veteran who is missing parts to get  some new ones, and some other odds and ends.
It shouldn't be any surprise to you that it is what it is. We've been watching this develop our whole lives. If your SS card, like mine, says "not for identification" on it, you have been paying in a while. When I get to the current age for me to retire I will have been paying in for 53 1/2 years. Probably won't be anything left by then. I'm not counting on getting it back, but I'd love to. I could do things with it.

C S Lewis

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2017, 12:42:25 pm »
Headline: Trump Supporters Last To Discover That He Is A Bombastic Loudmouth
Countdown to Resignation

• Technical
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2017, 12:48:03 pm »
So have most of us. I had five years I paid over $400K in taxes. I could use that money now, and invest it well for my retirement. It's gone. So it goes.
I figure some went to pay for Bighead Fred's meds, a lady I know who got a blood clot in her spine and will never walk again, to pay for some GWOT veteran who is missing parts to get  some new ones, and some other odds and ends.
It shouldn't be any surprise to you that it is what it is. We've been watching this develop our whole lives. If your SS card, like mine, says "not for identification" on it, you have been paying in a while. When I get to the current age for me to retire I will have been paying in for 53 1/2 years. Probably won't be anything left by then. I'm not counting on getting it back, but I'd love to. I could do things with it.

Yes. I don't know the solution. I don't want to see the truly deserving and needy left to die on the street. Replacing all welfare with "universal basic income" is an interesting idea IMO.

I think we can all agree that we need to stop new entitlements at the very least.

And we all know people who are wasting their lives and the government's money collecting SSDI checks and doing nothing.