Author Topic: False information on the internet is hiding the truth about onions  (Read 1820 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Tom Scocca has made it his personal mission to bring truth to the internet when it comes to caramelizing onions. Frustrated by recipes grossly understating the amount of time necessary for onions to turn brown and soft in a pan, he wrote a blog post for Slate in 2012 to correct the record. But recent developments prompted him to revisit the issue in a piece for Gizmodo headlined “Google's algorithm is lying to you about onions and blaming me for it.” He talked with Marketplace host Kai Ryssdal about what happened. Below is an edited transcript of their conversation.

<snip>

So, I read these articles that were coming out in the last week or two about how Google has this new feature that's supposed to give you the one true answer to a question you type in. Instead of just feeding you a list of things, it pops out in a big box and tells you what the one true answer is. And the problem is that people discovered that if you ask it if Barack Obama is planning a coup d'etat against the U.S. government, it says “Yes, he is.” If you ask it, “Is MSG poisonous,” it says, “It certainly is.” Because bad information that people passionately believe has a way of rising to the top. So, when I saw this, I thought about the onions again, and I thought about how this was a false thing that there was a lot of information about. So, I typed in “How long does it take to caramelize onions?” and I was shocked by what I got. Not only did it have the wrong information, but it had the wrong information because it was citing my piece.

http://www.marketplace.org/2017/03/14/tech/internet-falsehoods-are-hiding-truth-about-onions

The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

geronl

Re: False information on the internet is hiding the truth about onions
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 10:33:01 pm »
Talk about his own personal jihad. lol

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 10:10:44 pm »
So, a piece that was meant to debunk bad information ended up bunking it instead.

Get out the vote!  We can help make upbunking  the hot new buzz word!

Put it at the top of the food chain!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 10:11:20 pm by bigheadfred »
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 02:16:02 pm »
So, a piece that was meant to debunk bad information ended up bunking it instead.

Get out the vote!  We can help make upbunking  the hot new buzz word!

Put it at the top of the food chain!

Google is the premier and expert bunk purveyor.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 02:17:43 pm »
Talk about his own personal jihad. lol

Mustard is the only true condiment.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 02:35:56 pm »
Mustard is the only true condiment.

Now I'm thinking of the two British actors acting for Gray Poupon.

G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 02:38:19 pm »
I have issues with onions, I almost always ask for food without them. The problem with onions is they often overpower the food they are prepared with, and only very rarely are they used with appropriate restraint so that this isn't the case. I only order onions with salads, and hamburgers and I like them raw in both cases.