Author Topic: Freedom Is Eating Steak Well Done with Ketchup: In Trump’s Washington even eating is politicized.  (Read 824 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Matthew Continetti
National Review
March 18, 2017

... In Washington under Trump even so rudimentary an activity as eating has become politicized, weighted with aesthetic and class significance, put under the jurisdiction of social arbiters who declare what is woke and what is haram. “Actually, How Donald Trump Eats His Steak Matters,” proclaims a contributor to Eater.com. “The president of the United States insists that his steaks be cooked well-done. Unfortunately, that’s a big problem.” But why is it a problem, Eater.com? Why should so trivial a detail impress itself on the average person’s consciousness for even a microsecond? Aren’t there far more important subjects that warrant reflection and criticism and debate: health care, trade and tax policy, missile threats, the men and women dropping dead from heroin? ...
Full article

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Aren’t there far more important subjects that warrant reflection and criticism and debate

Dude's never been on a forum, has he? Very few topics are more virulently debated than food.  :shrug:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Dude's never been on a forum, has he? Very few topics are more virulently debated than food.  :shrug:

There isn't a stick or a stone the left won't pick up to hurl at Trump.  I've never seen anything like it.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
There isn't a stick or a stone the left won't pick up to hurl at Trump.  I've never seen anything like it.

True, they do grab everything in range to chuck at him.

Still - a man that puts ketchup on a ruined steak? Deliberately, not making the best of a bad day in the kitchen?

There are limits.  :tongue2:

Offline anubias

I'm with you EC.  Ketchup might be the only thing that could save that steak.  Medium rare with horseradish for me, please.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
 :beer:

Medium rare in a restaurant - for some reason they always do that really well, whereas the rare can be erratic. At home, a little to the rare side of medium rare, depending on the cut.

Horseradish unless I'm having chips (fries) - then I have either béarnaise or peppercorn sauce.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 05:54:27 pm by EC »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
True, they do grab everything in range to chuck at him.

Still - a man that puts ketchup on a ruined steak? Deliberately, not making the best of a bad day in the kitchen?

There are limits.  :tongue2:

In her Yout, Mrs Liberty was a waitress in a nice steak house.  She took an order back for a steak well-done, and the Chef threw her out of the kitchen for the rest of the night.  I can't even begin to get my mind around the Ketchup.  Reminds me of a Red Dwarf episode.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist

They do it with every Republican president.

Offline endicom

"Eat _____!" is not really about food, you know. ;-)

Offline endicom

Matthew Continetti
National Review
March 18, 2017
Full article

Good article. The lefties go from absurd to ludicrous in snatching at anything to demean the opposition.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
They do it with every Republican president.

I know, but I haven't seen it be done so thoroughly.  I don't even know how GWB had his steak cooked.  Never wanted to know dittos the next guy.
I will NOT comply.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Fair disclosure: I couldn't care less how Donaldus Minimus or anyone else likes their
steak.

But if mine isn't rare, I send it right back.

A left-wing nutjob, of course, would demand to know where I acquired my taste
for a) blood, and b) murdered or murdering animals. Not necessarily in that
order.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Fair disclosure: I couldn't care less how Donaldus Minimus or anyone else likes their
steak.

But if mine isn't rare, I send it right back.

A left-wing nutjob, of course, would demand to know where I acquired my taste
for a) blood, and b) murdered or murdering animals. Not necessarily in that
order.

Sometimes left-wing nutcases need to be kicked in their left nutcases.  Just sayin'.
I will NOT comply.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Sometimes left-wing nutcases need to be kicked in their left nutcases.  Just sayin'.

Assuming they have nuts in their cases . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I will NOT comply.