Author Topic: Federal cyanide trap injures eastern Idaho boy, kills dog  (Read 728 times)

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Federal cyanide trap injures eastern Idaho boy, kills dog
« on: March 18, 2017, 01:28:16 pm »
 Federal authorities have confirmed that a cyanide trap intended to kill coyotes in eastern Idaho instead killed a dog in an incident that local law enforcement officials say also injured a 14-year-old boy.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture acknowledged Friday that workers with its Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service's Wildlife Services placed the device called an M-44. The device activated and killed a 3-year-old Lab named Casey on Thursday near Pocatello.

"APHIS' Wildlife Services confirms the unintentional lethal take of a dog in Idaho," the agency said in an emailed statement to The Associated Press. "Wildlife Services has removed M-44s in that immediate area."

It's not clear how many other devices had been set.

Bannock County Sheriff Lorin Nielsen in a statement said the boy's father reported that his son had been covered in an unknown substance and the dog had died.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/federal-cyanide-trap-injures-eastern-idaho-boy-kills-46203028
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

geronl

Re: Federal cyanide trap injures eastern Idaho boy, kills dog
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 08:36:19 pm »
@Idaho_Cowboy

Watch out for WMD's planted by our own government.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 08:55:52 pm »
@Idaho_Cowboy

I thought they had banned poison around here for varmints. I guess that was for private use.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 08:59:48 pm »
I thought they had banned poison around here for varmints. I guess that was for private use.

It has always amazed me how our government runs nuclear reactors without containment domes while regulating the heck out of other reactor operators.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 09:49:33 pm »
Yikes! Ever since reading that book about a dog named Kitty the whole idea is pretty scary. Hope the boy is okay.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 09:50:02 pm »
@Idaho_Cowboy

Maybe somebody can draw a red line.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 02:47:19 pm »
USDA must rethink cyanide bombs that injured boy, killed pets, lawmaker says

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/03/21/usda-must-rethink-cyanide-bombs-that-injured-boy-killed-pets-lawmaker-says.html

Apparently the "bomb" that killed this dog and injured the boy, were within yards of the family home with no notice or signs...blatant negligence/stupidity.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 02:48:40 pm by SZonian »
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline thackney

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 02:51:44 pm »
USDA must rethink cyanide bombs that injured boy, killed pets, lawmaker says

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/03/21/usda-must-rethink-cyanide-bombs-that-injured-boy-killed-pets-lawmaker-says.html

Argyle said Wildlife Services is required by law to post warning signs around the devices but said, "We did not observe any signs at the location."  Upon further inspection, authorities found a second device within yards of the Mansfield home. Both devices were planted in the ground on Feb. 25 without the family's knowledge or consent.

Insane.  Yards of a home?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

geronl

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 06:10:11 pm »
Insane.  Yards of a home?

Very insane. The person who installed them should be arrested, IMO

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 06:14:01 pm »
Ban sought for cyanide trap that hurt Idaho boy, killed dog

BOISE, Idaho (AP) — Environmental groups have petitioned the U.S. Agriculture Department to ban its use of cyanide-ejecting devices aimed at killing coyotes after one went off near a boy and his dog earlier this month, killing the dog.

The petition filed late Tuesday by the Western Watersheds Project and other groups starts a formal process to prevent the department's wildlife services division from using the devices across Idaho and to mandate the removal of existing devices.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/ban-sought-cyanide-trap-hurt-idaho-boy-killed-194925910.html

There's a pic at the link so those of you who go outdoors know what to keep an eye out for.