Author Topic: ‘I won’t defend Trump — not now, not in the future’: Paul Ryan caught on tape trashing Trump before election  (Read 4572 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Conservative website Breitbart continued their war on House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-WI) on Monday night, releasing audio taken just prior to the election saying he had no interest in sticking up for Donald Trump.

Bretbart.com has long been known for attacking Ryan on orders from chairman Steve Bannon, with the current senior adviser to Trump once telling his staffers “Paul Ryan is the enemy.”

Monday evening, as Ryan was fending off a CBO report stating his health care plan would leave an additional 14 million Americans without health insurance in 2018, the website chose to create friction between the House Speaker and President Trump.

In the audio taken during a private October conference call with House Republican members, Ryan has few kind words for then-GOP presidential nominee Trump.

“I am not going to defend Donald Trump not now, not in the future,” Ryan can be heard saying.

“Look, you guys know I have real concerns with our nominee,” Ryan continued. “I hope you appreciate that I’m doing what I think is best for you, the members, not what’s best for me. So, I want to do what’s best for our members, and I think this is the right thing to do.

More: http://www.rawstory.com/2017/03/i-wont-defend-trump-not-now-not-in-the-future-paul-ryan-caught-on-tape-trashing-trump-before-election/

Taken from Raw Story, not Breitbart, since I don't give Breitbart clicks.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Suppressed

Brilliant, Breitbart. Undercut him when you want a Trumpcare passed.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

This is getting bizarre.

Attacking Ryan for pushing the same bill Trump is threatening to primary conservatives over if the vote against it.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

This is getting bizarre.

Attacking Ryan for pushing the same bill Trump is threatening to primary conservatives over if the vote against it.
Attacking Ryan?  Seems Ryan did the attacking.

Where on the tape did you hear Ryan being attacked?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.

Don't pretend to be dim. You're not and you can't pull it off.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

It's part of that six dimensional swamp draining chess thingy...MAGA!!!
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

Nowhere on that tape. The tape is months old.

The fact is that the Trump cultists are attacking Ryan for supporting exactly the same thing Trump supports. Its not my fault you neo alinskyites lack the courage to confront your cheeto messiah.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire

The fact is that the Trump cultists are attacking Ryan for supporting exactly the same thing Trump supports. Its not my fault you neo alinskyites lack the courage to confront your cheeto messiah.

@Cripplecreek @IsailedawayfromFR
Its really hard to take someone seriously when every post is so childish.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
@Cripplecreek @IsailedawayfromFR
Its really hard to take someone seriously when every post is so childish.

Childish...like when people who criticize trump are accused of wanting Dems in power or are closet democrats?

Childish like that?
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I listened to Breitbart for a few minutes this morning (because Kevin McCarthy was on the other channel), and callers were bashing Trump over the GOPcare plan.  The Breitbart guy, Alex Marlowe, wasn't trying very hard to defend it either.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Childish...like when people who criticize trump are accused of wanting Dems in power or are closet democrats?

Childish like that?

I don't think driftdriver does that.   

Offline The_Reader_David

"Can be heard saying" in a tape is without context.  There are things Trump has done (mostly tweets) for which "I won't defend Trump -- not now, not in the future," is the correct response.  The article presents it as if it were a blanket statement by Ryan that he will not defend Trump against any attack, which would be an absurd position to take since some attacks on Trump are attacks on positions that Trump and Ryan both hold.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline jpsb

Exactly, recycled old news and pretending it's new = Fake News

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
I don't think driftdriver does that.

Don't think he does either.  Just asking for his definition of childish to see if it's even handed or not.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Exactly, recycled old news and pretending it's new = Fake News

Or in reality anything negative about Trump = "fake" news.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer

Childish like that?

Exactly.  I've been eligible to vote since '86.  Every R presidential candidate since then was better than the alternative,  but had their shortcomings, as well.  That's evident by the warranted criticism you see in various forums today.  Just because some are ahead of the curve on the current CiC doesn't mean they're subversives.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Exactly.  I've been eligible to vote since '86.  Every R presidential candidate since then was better than the alternative,  but had their shortcomings, as well.  That's evident by the warranted criticism you see in various forums today.  Just because some are ahead of the curve on the current CiC doesn't mean they're subversives.

:beer:

Offline driftdiver

Childish like that?

@txradioguy

And you respond with a childish temper tantrum.   Criticism is one thing.   You criticize EVERYTHING he or any of his team does.   I haven't seen you give even the slightest praise to a single move Trump has made.  Not even the slightest acceptance that something he did was good or at least not bad.   No you pick at the tiniest things and demand a forensic level of proof.  Far higher than you demand of what the left does or says.

So does that make you a closet lefty?   Maybe, I dunno.  It certainly puts you on the list of people whose opinions carry very little weight for me.

Offline driftdiver

I listened to Breitbart for a few minutes this morning (because Kevin McCarthy was on the other channel), and callers were bashing Trump over the GOPcare plan.  The Breitbart guy, Alex Marlowe, wasn't trying very hard to defend it either.

@Sanguine

The new plan starts out with the assumption that the govt must ensure everyone has insurance.   Thats a bad place to start.

Everyone should have coverage but they have a responsibility to and for themselves.   Some people would rather buy cigarettes then health insurance.   Some people drink themselves into a coma every day.  Why should the rest of us pay for that person?

IMO the govt should minimize regulations and allow companies to create plans that are economically sustainable for customers, providers, and the insurance companies.   Stop preventing companies from selling insurance across state lines.   Put some limits on the ambulance chasers.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
@txradioguy

And you respond with a childish temper tantrum.   Criticism is one thing.   You criticize EVERYTHING he or any of his team does.   I haven't seen you give even the slightest praise to a single move Trump has made.  Not even the slightest acceptance that something he did was good or at least not bad.   No you pick at the tiniest things and demand a forensic level of proof.  Far higher than you demand of what the left does or says.

So does that make you a closet lefty?   Maybe, I dunno.  It certainly puts you on the list of people whose opinions carry very little weight for me.

I asked a simple question.  Even clarified that I wasn't saying you did that.

And you respond with the tantrum you accuse me of throwing.

And no...I don't criticize everything he and his team do.  There are things I'm truly supportive of and my statements on those things are public record.

If you truly had a clue about what I post here...you'd know that.

But hey why take the time to research before you hit send when it's easier to mindlessly lash out.  :shrug:

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
@Sanguine

The new plan starts out with the assumption that the govt must ensure everyone has insurance.   Thats a bad place to start.

Everyone should have coverage but they have a responsibility to and for themselves.   Some people would rather buy cigarettes then health insurance.   Some people drink themselves into a coma every day.  Why should the rest of us pay for that person?

IMO the govt should minimize regulations and allow companies to create plans that are economically sustainable for customers, providers, and the insurance companies.   Stop preventing companies from selling insurance across state lines.   Put some limits on the ambulance chasers.

It's like I told someone the other day that was under the misguided assumption that it was the Government's job to provide healthcare for everyone and to take care of them...the Constitution allows you the ability to pursue life liberty and happiness...it doesn't guarantee it.  How much of a success or failure a person is depends on them...it's not up to the Government to give those things to you.

For some reason that person didn't grasp the concept.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 02:46:26 pm by txradioguy »

Offline driftdiver

I asked a simple question.  Even clarified that I wasn't saying you did that.

And you respond with the tantrum you accuse me of throwing.

And no...I don't criticize everything he and his team do.  There are things I'm truly supportive of and my statements on those things are public record.

If you truly had a clue about what I post here...you'd know that.

But hey why take the time to research before you hit send when it's easier to mindlessly lash out.  :shrug:

@txradioguy

ahh yess,  right........

Oh look theres a squirrel outside thats more interesting to watch then have any more discussion with you.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Weren't the breitbarters complaining about circular firing squads a few weeks ago?

Online kevindavis007

Weren't the breitbarters complaining about circular firing squads a few weeks ago?

They only complain about the circular firing squad if it is only against Trump..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Silver Pines

This is old news from around the time Trump was talking about grabbing *blanks*.  I don't know anyone of sound mind who would have defended him.