Author Topic: Trump administration wants more time to give Intel committee wiretapping proof  (Read 504 times)

Offline corbe

Trump administration wants more time to give Intel committee wiretapping proof

By Joe Uchill - 03/13/17 06:38 PM EDT

President Trump's administration has asked for more time to comply with a House Intelligence Committee request for evidence substantiating Trump's claims of wiretapping.

The Monday evening request came hours before the committee-set midnight deadline.

"This afternoon, the Department of Justice placed calls to representatives of the Chairman and Ranking Member of the United States House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence to ask for additional time to review the request in compliance with the governing legal authorities and to determine what if any responsive documents may exist," the DOJ letter read.

House Intelligence Chairman Devin Nunes's (R-Calif.) office confirmed the request in a statement, and said the delay could force the committee to "resort to a compulsory process if our questions continue to go unanswered."

"The Department of Justice has asked for more time to comply with the House Intelligence Committee’s request for information related to possible surveillance of Donald Trump or his associates during the election campaign," Nunes' statement said.

"We have asked the Department to provide us this information before the Committee’s open hearing scheduled for March 20. If the committee does not receive a response by then, the Committee will ask for this information during the March 20 hearing and may resort to a compulsory process if our questions continue to go unanswered."

Ranking member Adam Schiff (D-Calif.) weighed in on the delay on Twitter. 

On Wednesday, Nunes and the top Democrat on the committee sent the White House a request to provide evidence that, as Trump tweeted on March 4, “Obama had my ‘wires tapped’ in Trump Tower just before the victory.”

They asked the White House to send over any information backing up those accusations by Monday.

Though he didn't give any information to back up his claims, Trump equated the allegations to McCarthyism and the Watergate scandal.

The tweets put his own administration and Republican lawmakers in a bind over how to respond.

It is unclear why Trump believes he might have been wiretapped, but his statements came soon after a conservative radio host detailed allegations about the Obama administration surveilling Trump, which were then published by Breitbart News.

Many Republicans have denied seeing any evidence, including House Oversight Chairman Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah), Oversight member Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.), and Senate Intelligence Committee members Sens. Marco Rubio (Fla.) and Tom Cotton (Ark.).

..snip..>

http://thehill.com/policy/cybersecurity/323774-trump-administration-misses-intel-committees-deadline-for-wiretapping
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
More time.  Either there is evidence or there isn't.  Looks to me like he is stalling because he made a major twitter mistake.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline kevindavis007

More time.  Either there is evidence or there isn't.  Looks to me like he is stalling because he made a major twitter mistake.

If it was true, Trump would have the evidence by now.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Offline LMAO

This is one of many huge problem is when it comes to Trump.  He's becoming more more like the boy that cried  "wolf."  What he is doing is he's taking the public's  mistrust of the media and trying to exploit it. So he makes wild, unsubstantiated claims.

He's become like those who push anthropogenic climate change. Make claims first and then go searching for the evidence
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy