Author Topic: Fast Radio Bursts: Signature of Distant Technology?  (Read 1198 times)

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
Fast Radio Bursts: Signature of Distant Technology?
« on: March 13, 2017, 09:44:49 pm »
Fast Radio Bursts: Signature of Distant Technology?

FRB 121102 appears to be a rare case of a repeating FRB (about which more a bit later). The distances involved and the brightness of the FRBs have led to source hypotheses ranging from gamma ray bursts to massive neutron stars. But as Avi Loeb (Harvard University) speculates in a new paper slated to appear in Astrophysical Journal Letters, we could conceivably be dealing with an engineering phenomenon rather than a natural one. What Loeb and Manasvi Lingam, a Harvard postdoctoral fellow at Harvard’s School of Engineering, discuss is whether FRBs could be interpreted as artificial beams set up as an infrastructure for pushing lightsails.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Re: Fast Radio Bursts: Signature of Distant Technology?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 10:26:58 pm »
The idea of pushing light sails is a new one. Probability of that seems pretty slim, but ya never know.

@kevindavis
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 10:48:26 pm »
The idea of pushing light sails is a new one. Probability of that seems pretty slim, but ya never know.

@kevindavis

Nah, the idea's been around for years.  There are some pretty detailed engineering studies of what it would take.  In fact, the Breakthrough Initiative is looking at light sails very seriously.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 11:33:27 pm »

@kevindavis

@Idaho_Cowboy

IIRC,there was a article about it is Issac Asivov's Science Fiction and Fantasy Magazine maybe 15-20 years ago.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 11:35:32 pm »
Thanks I had no idea the concept was as well researched or around as long as it turns out.

I still say the odds of this particularly observed phenomenon being light sails is slim.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour