Author Topic: Why Space Travel  (Read 1763 times)

Online kevindavis007

Why Space Travel
« on: March 13, 2017, 02:30:38 am »
I thought I post a couple of videos explaining why the human race must go into the cosmos for survival..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU1QPtOZQZU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHAS1pRrvyg
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: Why Space Travel
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 02:37:32 am »
Because its human nature to wonder what lies beyond the horizon and go find out.

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 02:41:17 am »
Because it's there?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 03:09:38 am »
Because there is no reason not to go there.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 03:14:32 am »
Who wants to live at the bottom of the ocean?
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 05:12:05 am »
Why does the chicken cross the road.. :shrug:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 09:56:25 am »
All replies are what I expected.

There's good justification for expanding into space, be it resources, not keeping all humanities eggs in one basket, even getting rid of troublesome populations - but that's all they are. Justifications for something it's in our nature to do anyway.  :laugh:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 04:36:16 pm »

There's good justification for expanding into space, be it resources, not keeping all humanities eggs in one basket, even getting rid of troublesome populations - but that's all they are. Justifications for something it's in our nature to do anyway.  :laugh:

Thank you, @EC.  You nailed it.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 05:18:59 pm »
I finished Neal Stephenson's Seven Eves not to long ago. Typical Stephenson at this point, although he's ventured more into showing us how well he can research esoteric science subjects instead of telling the most compelling story.

Anyway - interesting concepts in that book about how a sudden need to evacuate the planet might unfold.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

geronl

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 06:57:56 pm »
I finished Neal Stephenson's Seven Eves not to long ago. Typical Stephenson at this point, although he's ventured more into showing us how well he can research esoteric science subjects instead of telling the most compelling story.

Anyway - interesting concepts in that book about how a sudden need to evacuate the planet might unfold.

Tyranny, war, famine, poverty, zombies.... or all of them combined!

Oceander

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 07:24:30 pm »

so?

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2017, 07:43:12 pm »

Am I right in my impression that Stephenson is wildly optimistic on the ability of humanity to survive and achieve things?
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn