Author Topic: Donald Trump Jr. Says He Misses Campaign Trail at Texas Republican Event  (Read 644 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
KTLA 5 3/12/2017

Donald Trump Jr. made his first political public appearance since his father’s inauguration, taking an election victory lap and growing nostalgic for the campaign trail.

“I thought I was out of politics after election day,” Trump said Saturday, speaking at the Dallas County Republican Party’s Reagan Day Dinner, where he recalled his father’s unpredictable path to the presidency.

“I thought I’d be going back to my regular job. I thought I’d be really excited about it. But once you get a little bit of a taste of that action, it’s hard to leave. You know, listen, deals are still exciting, but when you’re sort of the guy out there 24/7, every day fighting in this thing — it’s like a great fight, the intensity. I don’t miss the politics, I promise. I want nothing to do with the politics, but I miss the intensity of that,” he said, reminiscing about the no-sleep, fast-paced days of the campaign when he paraded around as one of the only surrogates.

He praised his father’s first 50 days in office: “What’s exciting for me, as an American, as a father of five young kids, is I’m watching more take place in two months than I saw in two terms before,” Trump said as nearly 1,000 Dallas County Republicans dined on lettuce wedges in a downtown hotel ballroom.

Trump used his remarks to thank Texas Republicans, who he said, “gave us the funds to go over and win all those other states.”

“We actually raised more money in Texas than we did in New York and California combined,” he noted.

Trump also lamented what he called a societal lack of diversity in thought, sharing some wisdom from his father with the Texas Republicans.

“We’ve done a really good job welcoming everyone, all sorts of diversity, but the only place where there’s a lack of diversity is a lack of diversity in thought — and that’s something we have to change, you have to be able to argue both sides of the coin … That’s something I learned a lot from my father. He’d sort of make you argue the opposite side, even if you didn’t necessarily believe it, just so you could put yourself in those shoes,” he said.

“This notion that that doesn’t exist anymore is very scary, cause what do those people in the real world when they for the first time face real adversity? What do they do if they’re not able to do that? If they’re not able to take some criticism, if they grew up in that participation medal, you know, era that so many of our kids do.”

[Excerpted] http://ktla.com/2017/03/12/donald-trump-jr-says-he-misses-campaign-trail-at-texas-republican-event/

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Of course he misses campaigning.  Where else can you determine your own time schedule, be surrounded by sycophants, and spout anything you want without the actual responsibility of governing?
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Silver Pines

Of course he misses campaigning.  Where else can you determine your own time schedule, be surrounded by sycophants, and spout anything you want without the actual responsibility of governing?

@edpc

:word:

Offline Right_in_Virginia

What, exactly, is Donald Trump Jr.'s "actual responsibility of governing" @edpc ?

Offline edpc

He has none - and that's precisely my point. It's easy to go around perpetually campaigning and have not have to back it up.  We've seen what happens when someone is the King of Platitudes and has no substance.  See 2007-2016. 

Offline Right_in_Virginia

He has none - and that's precisely my point. It's easy to go around perpetually campaigning and have not have to back it up.  We've seen what happens when someone is the King of Platitudes and has no substance.  See 2007-2016.

Oh, good grief @edpc   Methinks you're making a mountain out of molehill---confusing the POTUS with his son, who is not in politics, just to post something negative.   **nononono*

Offline edpc

I'm not confused about who I'm discussing at all.  The family brand is more about hype than substance. The Baja resort that failed had the Trump name attached, but they had no actual involvement in the building of the project.  Here's what Jr said in the deposition about his father's perceived contribution.....

"I don't know if it brings stability or viability, but I imagine certain people feel that," he responded."

They're charlatans of the highest order. Don't be terribly surprised when we're similarly disappointed as those buyers and investors in 4 years.