Author Topic: Cummings: There 'very well may be' connection between Bharara firing and investigations into Trump  (Read 2696 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 The Hill
Rebecca Savransky
2 hrs ago

Rep. Elijah Cummings (D-Md.) said there could be a connection between the firing of former U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara and investigations into President Trump.

During an interview on ABC's "This Week," Cummings, the ranking member of the House Oversight Committee, said the president has the right to fire U.S. attorneys.

But he noted that not very long ago, the president said he was willing to "keep the U.S. attorney there in New York."

"And then suddenly, he's, I guess, changed his mind," Cummings said.

more
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/cummings-there-very-well-may-be-connection-between-bharara-firing-and-investigations-into-trump/ar-AAoaTBN?li=BBnbcA1&OCID=AVRES007
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Online Hoodat

But .  .  .  but that's different
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

Cummings and some #nevertrumps on this site, taking the democrat side on this.

For the record. (rivergirl, j.meryle)  Trump hate makes them crazy !!!!
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Frank Cannon

Cummings is a proven liar. That and his genuine stupidity renders all his comments worthless.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Cummings and some #nevertrumps on this site, taking the democrat side on this.

For the record. (rivergirl, j.meryle)  Trump hate makes them crazy !!!!

So how do YOU explain Trump firing a U.S. Attorney he'd previously personally asked to stay on?
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
The Hill
Rebecca Savransky
2 hrs ago

Rep. Elijah Cummings (D-Md.) said there could be a connection between the firing of former U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara and investigations into President Trump.

During an interview on ABC's "This Week," Cummings, the ranking member of the House Oversight Committee, said the president has the right to fire U.S. attorneys.

But he noted that not very long ago, the president said he was willing to "keep the U.S. attorney there in New York."

"And then suddenly, he's, I guess, changed his mind," Cummings said.

more
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/cummings-there-very-well-may-be-connection-between-bharara-firing-and-investigations-into-trump/ar-AAoaTBN?li=BBnbcA1&OCID=AVRES007

I am stunned ... stunned that Elijah would make such an accusation.

Actually, Bharara had a lot of interesting stuff on his plate.  Wonder where his files will end up and who will pick up the plow.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Frank Cannon

So how do YOU explain Trump firing a U.S. Attorney he'd previously personally asked to stay on?

Did he? All there is on Trump asking him to stay is a speculation piece from the Daily News guessing that was what the meeting was about.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/trump-meet-manhattan-attorney-preet-bharara-source-article-1.2892952

Offline truth_seeker

I don't try to explain the democrat's side. I leave that to #nevertrumpers, who do it so well.

Once I remember it is common practice to get rid of the opposition, I accept it.

In 1993 Jane Reno wrote a letter to then US Attorney Jeff Sessions (and 92 others), asking for his resignation.

But you knew that.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Did he? All there is on Trump asking him to stay is a speculation piece from the Daily News guessing that was what the meeting was about.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/trump-meet-manhattan-attorney-preet-bharara-source-article-1.2892952

No Frank there's not just speculation. 

Research is your friend. Here let me show you:

November 30, 2016

Preet Bharara said Wednesday that he'll stay on in his role as Manhattan U.S. Attorney at Donald Trump's request.

Following a meeting with the President-elect inside Trump Tower, Bharara told reporters he had been summoned to discuss remaining in his position and had made up his mind "to stay on."

That took me 30 seconds to find.

Just sayin...
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
I don't try to explain the democrat's side. I leave that to #nevertrumpers, who do it so well.

Once I remember it is common practice to get rid of the opposition, I accept it.

In 1993 Jane Reno wrote a letter to then US Attorney Jeff Sessions (and 92 others), asking for his resignation.

But you knew that.

You need to stop using the whole nevertrump thing as an excuse for not using your brain.

And you use it as a cover to not actually debate when things get too uncomfortable for you.

Actually from 1977 until Clinton fired all 94 in 1993 there was a bi partisan agreement in place to let the U.S. Attorneys serve out their four year terms regardless of which Presidents AG appointed them.

So no it hasn't always been common place and the other side just had to accept it.

But if you would take the time to research these things and not just blindly label anyone who doesn't walk in lockstep with you in your blind support of all things Trump as either Democrats or nevertrumpers you might end up making some rational and intelligent posts.

Offline truth_seeker

You need to stop using the whole nevertrump thing as an excuse for not using your brain.

And you use it as a cover to not actually debate when things get too uncomfortable for you.

Actually from 1977 until Clinton fired all 94 in 1993 there was a bi partisan agreement in place to let the U.S. Attorneys serve out their four year terms regardless of which Presidents AG appointed them.

So no it hasn't always been common place and the other side just had to accept it.

But if you would take the time to research these things and not just blindly label anyone who doesn't walk in lockstep with you in your blind support of all things Trump as either Democrats or nevertrumpers you might end up making some rational and intelligent posts.

Why would I use 1977-93 ?? I am living in reality, the way reality is right now. Post Clinton/post Obama.

The fact is Janet Reno fired J. Session, at the behest of Pres. Clinton.

For you to suggest that the GOP not act in accordance with this NEW practice, leaves me wondering what your side is.

Here is one of the left's favorite sources, Politico, talking about Obama firing Bush holdovers.

Obama to replace U.S. Attorneys

By Josh Gerstein | 05/15/09 08:34 AM EDT

President Barack Obama plans to replace a "batch" of U.S. Attorneys in the next few weeks and more prosecutors thereafter, according to Attorney General Eric Holder.

"I expect that we’ll have an announcement in the next couple of weeks with regard to our first batch of U.S attorneys," Holder said Thursday during a House Judiciary Committee hearing which stretched out over most of the day due to breaks for members' votes. "One of the things that we didn’t want to do was to disrupt the continuity of the offices and pull people out of positions where we thought there might be a danger that that might have on the continuity--the effectiveness of the offices.But...elections matter--it is our intention to have the U.S. Attorneys that are selected by President Obama in place as quickly as they can."

Holder's comments begin to resolve questions in the legal community about whether the new administration would hesitate to replace the chief prosecutors en masse because of the intense controversy that surrounded President George W. Bush's unusual mid-term replacement of nine U.S. attorneys in late 2006. In addition, legal sources said some Bush appointees were looking to burrow in, in part to avoid a grim economic climate for private-sector legal jobs.

However, by using terms like "elections matter," Holder seems to be signaling that Obama plans to install new leadership in most offices.

Pressure from lawmakers and local Democrats to replace the sitting prosecutors has been significant.  Holder's comments Thursday came in response to a question from Rep. Maxine Waters (D-Calif.) "Many jurisdictions are waiting desperately to see what is going to be done. As we understand it, the protocol has been that U.S. Attorneys would hand in their resignations and would give the new administration an opportunity to make new appointments, we don’t see that happening quite fast enough," she said, pointing to complaints about prosecutors in Mississippi, Louisiana and Alabama.

Waters seemed satisfied with Holder's answer, but she was intent on creating a sense of urgency. "There is a danger with some of them being left there. So whatever you can do to move them we appreciate it," she said.

While Holder signaled that a new slate of prosecutors will be nominated, he did not rule out the possibility of holding over or reappointing some U.S. Attorneys named by Bush. Legal experts expect the new administration to retain some who are handling politically sensitive cases, such as Chicago-based prosecutor Pat Fitzgerald, who is prosecuting former Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich for his alleged efforts to sell the U.S. Senate seat vacated by Obama.

If the first U.S. Attorney selections from Obama do come in the next few weeks, he will still be ahead of Bush's timetable. He proposed his first U.S. Attorneys on August 1, 2001.

U.S. Attorneys require confirmation by the Senate and are usually proposed with the concurrence of the senators from that state.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/under-the-radar/2009/05/obama-to-replace-us-attorneys-018390

Read it thoroughly and then again. And only then, get back abut your suggestion I have this wrong, and lack the ability or willingness to research.

Your #nevertrump agenda has blocked you from common sense.

Offline Norm Lenhart

First, I'd say that a lot changed in the last couple weeks with Democrats openly trying to overthrow the government so there ya go.

Personally I want to know from all the people that have a problem with Trump firing Democrats is "Why?" WHY EXACTLY is it that Trump or anyone should leave an open threat to America and constitutional government in a position of power. Surely you all have reasons to justify the 180 degree shift in the attitudes you all displayed for the last 8 years and I would like help understanding why it is that people that once called for the purging of the Dems suddenly now want them in power.

Democrats are evil. Democrats hate God (evidenced by their booing of him at their convention and support of Islam and the homosexual agenda...to say nothing at their glee over punishing cake bakers, home schoolers and the rest); And Democrats hate the Constitution as demonstrated by their complete destruction of the rule of law via the corrupted courts and flatly ignoring clearly written legislation.

And some want the very people, Democrats with legal authority, to stay in their positions? Really? So man the hell up folks. Explain to me and everyone else why it is that you suddenly want rule by Democrat because thats what leaving Democrats in government results in whether you will admit it or not.

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
So man the hell up folks. Explain to me and everyone else why it is that you suddenly want rule by Democrat because thats what leaving Democrats in government results in whether you will admit it or not.

A certain portion of the population want to hold out an eternal olive branch in the hopes Liberals will suddenly change their ways.  The same with ISIS - they just need a hug.  And the Russians will change too for the first time in 70 years with a big old bear hug.

As history shows us it's best to negotiate with a baseball bat and a smile on your face.  That they understand.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Why would I use 1977-93 ?? I am living in reality, the way reality is right now. Post Clinton/post Obama.

The fact is Janet Reno fired J. Session, at the behest of Pres. Clinton.

Funny how you use an example form the exact time frame you tried to ding me on for it not being in the here and now.

**nononono*

Revenge never makes for good policy decisions...foreign or domestically speaking.

For you to suggest that the GOP not act in accordance with this NEW practice,

Two wrongs don't make a right.  Especially in light of the fact that Donald Trump personally asked this particular U.S. Attorney to stay on.

It shows that either Trumps word can't be trusted or that Bharara was getting too close to something Trump didn't want him to find.

Either way it makes the President look bad.

leaves me wondering what your side is.
[/quote]

This is becoming a standard and rather brain dead retort for people that don't want to face reality.

Read it thoroughly and then again. And only then, get back abut your suggestion I have this wrong, and lack the ability or willingness to research.

You've got it wrong.

Your #nevertrump agenda has blocked you from common sense.

Except that I'm not #nevertrump.  You should really take a look around here...there's only one side really still using this imflammatory rhetoric and it's not me...it's not 95% of the people on TBR.  The only ones still using accusations of "which side are you on" you're just a "nevertrumper" are the ones like you.  Bitter bomb throwers that will never be happy unless everyone engages in the same group think you do.

I think I'll call you guys #neversatisfied

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
First, I'd say that a lot changed in the last couple weeks with Democrats openly trying to overthrow the government so there ya go.

Personally I want to know from all the people that have a problem with Trump firing Democrats is "Why?" WHY EXACTLY is it that Trump or anyone should leave an open threat to America and constitutional government in a position of power. Surely you all have reasons to justify the 180 degree shift in the attitudes you all displayed for the last 8 years and I would like help understanding why it is that people that once called for the purging of the Dems suddenly now want them in power.

Democrats are evil. Democrats hate God (evidenced by their booing of him at their convention and support of Islam and the homosexual agenda...to say nothing at their glee over punishing cake bakers, home schoolers and the rest); And Democrats hate the Constitution as demonstrated by their complete destruction of the rule of law via the corrupted courts and flatly ignoring clearly written legislation.

And some want the very people, Democrats with legal authority, to stay in their positions? Really? So man the hell up folks. Explain to me and everyone else why it is that you suddenly want rule by Democrat because thats what leaving Democrats in government results in whether you will admit it or not.

That's not really the issue that was posted in the OP...it's been turned that way...but the real issue is...and it's a legitimate one...why did the President go directly to this particular U.S. Attorney...personally ask him to stay on...then 5 months later fire him?

Forget who said what and whether it was some brain dead Lib like Cummings...what Trump did raises a serious issue about whether the people that work for him can trust his word and trust him.

Offline Norm Lenhart

That's not really the issue that was posted in the OP...it's been turned that way...but the real issue is...and it's a legitimate one...why did the President go directly to this particular U.S. Attorney...personally ask him to stay on...then 5 months later fire him?

Forget who said what and whether it was some brain dead Lib like Cummings...what Trump did raises a serious issue about whether the people that work for him can trust his word and trust him.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

First off...what kind of threat exactly did Bharara pose to the U.S.?  What threat was he exactly to the Constitution?  Please cite the cases this U.S. Attorney has litigated that backs up your wild claim.

Secondly...you're making this about more than what the OP discusses...the topic is about one particular U.S. Attorney whom President Trump thought enough of to talk to him personally face to face and ask him to stay on...then fires him less than 6 months later.

Focus Norm.

I haven't done a 180 so stop moving the goal posts all over the field and concentrate.

What kind of message does this send to people that work for this President when he comes by shakes their hand smiles and says "glad to have you on the team"?

Offline Norm Lenhart

First off...what kind of threat exactly did Bharara pose to the U.S.?  What threat was he exactly to the Constitution?  Please cite the cases this U.S. Attorney has litigated that backs up your wild claim.

Secondly...you're making this about more than what the OP discusses...the topic is about one particular U.S. Attorney whom President Trump thought enough of to talk to him personally face to face and ask him to stay on...then fires him less than 6 months later.

Focus Norm.

I haven't done a 180 so stop moving the goal posts all over the field and concentrate.

What kind of message does this send to people that work for this President when he comes by shakes their hand smiles and says "glad to have you on the team"?

rangerrebew

To the prophet Elijah, a Trump bowel movement probably indicates a reason for impeachment. 10631

Wingnut

To the prophet Elijah, a Trump bowel movement probably indicates a reason for impeachment. 10631

Yup.  The only profit Elijay sees is in his playing the Race card or opposing Trump 24/7. 

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

Norm you can repost this question all you want.  My answer back to you is the same...and the fact you can't answer what I posed and just want to go the blind follower route and claim anyone questioning Trump's motives or asking why he lied to this Prosecutor wants the Dems in power is not only stupid...but really beneath you.

Why is it now suddenly a traitorous act to ask why the President gave his word then took it back?  Because it's Trump are we suddenly not allowed to do what people have done with the previous 44 Presidents in our history?

Offline Norm Lenhart

Norm you can repost this question all you want.  My answer back to you is the same...and the fact you can't answer what I posed and just want to go the blind follower route and claim anyone questioning Trump's motives or asking why he lied to this Prosecutor wants the Dems in power is not only stupid...but really beneath you.

Why is it now suddenly a traitorous act to ask why the President gave his word then took it back?  Because it's Trump are we suddenly not allowed to do what people have done with the previous 44 Presidents in our history?

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39