Author Topic: Ted Cruz may have discovered a way to totally change Obamacare without 60 Senate votes  (Read 1880 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
March 12, 2017
Ted Cruz may have discovered a way to totally change Obamacare without 60 Senate votes
By Thomas Lifson

Democrats tend to love sneaky lawyer tricks because their side is so good at them.  The passage of Obamacare under the Senate rules governing “reconciliation” is the most prominent example of creatively applying the rules to get what they want.

But it turns out that there are some really smart and creative legal minds on the GOP side, and now that the GOP runs the Senate, the sauce for the Democrat goose also flavors the Republican gander, if that isn’t too disagreeable an abuse of metaphorical license. Ted Cruz is one such legal mind; in the words of legendary Harvard Law School Professor Alan Dershowitz, “…one of the best students I ever had.”

more
http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2017/03/ted_cruz_may_have_discovered_a_way_to_totally_change_obamacare_without_60_senate_votes.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Silver Pines

Dana Loesch was talking about this the other day.  The Parliamentarian can be overridden at any time.  She said these Republicans using the Parliamentarian as an excuse are doing it because they think we're stupid and they think they can play us.

Sounds about right, IMO.

Offline ConstitutionRose

Time to write our senators.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline Victoria33

March 12, 2017
Ted Cruz may have discovered a way to totally change Obamacare without 60 Senate votes
By Thomas Lifson  Ted Cruz is one such legal mind; in the words of legendary Harvard Law School Professor Alan Dershowitz, “…one of the best students I ever had.
@mystery-ak

When Cruz was in the third grade (I think it was that grade), he memorized the entire US Constitution.  If Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell had any sense (which I doubt), he would use Cruz's lawyer knowledge of senate obscure rules to get bills passed.  Cruz also worked in the Supreme Court and I forget which Supreme Court Judge for which he worked.

Offline skeeter

Dana Loesch was talking about this the other day.  The Parliamentarian can be overridden at any time.  She said these Republicans using the Parliamentarian as an excuse are doing it because they think we're stupid and they think they can play us.

Sounds about right, IMO.

This is exactly why we need a Ted Cruz.

Offline LonestarDream

Go Cruz.  Have Mikey SLAM the gavel.  MAGA!

:judge:

Winning!

Sounds about right, IMO.
(?) Trump Realist    (*) Trump believer   (?) Never Trump,   Which are you ?

Offline LonestarDream

For example, Cruz notes that Republicans could “repeal all of the insurance regulations in Obamacare that have increased premiums,” in particular one that decreased competition by preventing insurers from selling across state lines.

Clearly these regulations have fiscal impact.

1) They the stunt the growth of the economy per capita GDP and sustainable government tax collections
2) They increase government spending through unneeded mandates. 

« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 03:13:52 pm by LonestarDream »

Offline LonestarDream

Time for the dynamic duo to take care of business.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 03:24:25 pm by LonestarDream »

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
About a month ago I caught the last part of a radio interview explaining the process.  It boggled the mind even though the person explaining some of the mechanisms did so simply and in a straightforward manner.  From the sound of it unraveling ObamaCare would have to be a multi-step process. 

Because ObamaCare has been implemented using a combination of law, executive orders, executive whim, tricks, reconciliation, etc. no single new law can wipe out ObamaCare in one fell swoop.  It could only wipe out big chunks of ObamaCare.  The rest would need to get pruned away using similar gimmicks as when implemented.

The radio host helped us slow witted listeners out greatly by using an example.  "If I have 3 items I bought but now want to return, I can't just take them to a single store to get my money back.  I'll need to go to each of the 3 separate stores from which I bought the items to return them back."  The guest replied, yes, same general idea.

At least I could grasp the general gist of it all.  He went on to explain that it gets crazy complicated when you begin to factor in various issues such as Medicare, state budgets, hospitals, drug companies, private practice doctors, etc. all which have been greatly affected over the past 7 years.  You can't just "un-retire" all the private practice doctors who quit in disgust over ObamaCare, for example.  That horse has left the barn.

It was a great interview and gave me a lot to think about.  Which eventually got me thinking about sausage making.  You can't unmake sausage and put the parts back where they came from.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
For example, Cruz notes that Republicans could “repeal all of the insurance regulations in Obamacare that have increased premiums,” in particular one that decreased competition by preventing insurers from selling across state lines.

Clearly these regulations have fiscal impact.

1) They the stunt the growth of the economy per capita GDP and sustainable government tax collections
2) They increase government spending through unneeded mandates.

Which brings up the question: why did the Ryan bill NOT do that?

Offline LonestarDream

Which brings up the question: why did the Ryan bill NOT do that?

Ryan needs adult supervision.

Mike Lee, Rand Paul , Cruz, Pence  and Trump

Mitch should be marginalized to favor Pence TO FULLEST EXTENT POSSIBLE!!!

Offline LonestarDream

Offline Hoodat

Cruz also worked in the Supreme Court and I forget which Supreme Court Judge for which he worked.

@Victoria33

Chief Justice William Rehnquist
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Frank Cannon

We can't take tricksters word on this. He is Lyin' Ted people. That has "lyin'" in it after all.

Offline libertybele

Go Ted!   Reigniting the promise of America.    :patriot:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline bolobaby

Ted Cruz, unfortunately, can not give the rest of the senate his spine, so...

DOA.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
skeeter wrote:
"This is exactly why we need a Ted Cruz."

Yes.

But, his knowledge and skills are far more useful to the country as a senator, than they might be as president.

When is McConnell up for re-election? If he could be primaried and ousted, Mr. Cruz might be the best man for Senate majority leader.

Offline libertybele

skeeter wrote:
"This is exactly why we need a Ted Cruz."

Yes.

But, his knowledge and skills are far more useful to the country as a senator, than they might be as president.

When is McConnell up for re-election? If he could be primaried and ousted, Mr. Cruz might be the best man for Senate majority leader.

McConnell won't be up for re-election until 2020; he'll be 79.  Let's hope the Turtle retires.  I agree that Cruz would make an excellent majority leader, but I don't see that happening as he's a thorn in the GOPe's side.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

Time to write our senators.

Write our Senators and Mike Pence ... if I'm understanding this correctly, the ball is in Pence's court.  We will soon see which side he's on.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Ted Cruz, unfortunately, can not give the rest of the senate his spine, so...

DOA.

No, but it's possible that he can shame some of them into getting their spines out of hock.

Offline libertybele

No, but it's possible that he can shame some of them into getting their spines out of hock.

Agreed. Ted still isn't the most popular 'kid' in the Senate but since he helped in the defeat of the GOPe candidates and stood tall at the RNC, he's made a name for himself and DC realizes he IS a force to be reckoned with...and the media is still covering him!

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

As for the notion of changing the way the Senate works, that is inevitable.  The Democrats have not demonstrated any fealty toward the filibuster, having junked it for judicial appointments to the federal bench below the SCOTUS. As Karin McQuillan noted here two days ago,

The sixty vote requirement is not in the Constitution.   It’s just a Senate rule.  A rule that McConnell refuses to question.  A rule that will destroy the Trump Presidency more thoroughly than Obama and the Deep State.
Mikey needs to follow the lead of Trump which doesn't care about the traditions in the WH press corps either.  It makes the libs and RINOs explode.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Cruz hasn't "discovered" anything.  Everyone already knew that.  The issue is that you don't have even 50 GOP Senators willing to go along with it.

I'm not sure why so many people seem fixated on the 60 vote threshold when the reality is that we don't even have 50 Senators who agree on what should be done.  And if Cruz (whom I do like) really wants to call someone out, then how about calling out his fellow Senators, by name, who are resisting?   The problem isn't McConnell -- it's the wayward Senators who won't let him get to 50 votes.  But it's more popular to go after the leadership rather than to call out the individual Senators causing the underlying problem, so that's what everyone does.

I'm not a fan of McConnell, but he's not the real problem here.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 05:51:50 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline LonestarDream

Mikey needs to follow the lead of Trump which doesn't care about the traditions in the WH press corps either.  It makes the libs and RINOs explode.

Yep.

Offline LonestarDream

Cruz hasn't "discovered" anything.  Everyone already knew that.  The issue is that you don't have 50 GOP Senators willing to go along with it.

I'm not sure why so many people seem fixated on the 60 vote threshold when the reality is that we don't even have 50 Senators who agree on what should be done.

Hopefully, the quiet charisma of Pence can move them along.