Author Topic: Scientists grow potato under Mars-like conditions in Peru  (Read 3142 times)

geronl

Scientists grow potato under Mars-like conditions in Peru
« on: March 11, 2017, 08:13:47 pm »
Potatoes on Mars? Scientists are reporting promising results growing the tuber under conditions that mimic the Red Planet in an experiment in Peru linked to US space agency NASA.

"Preliminary results are positive," the International Potato Center (CIP) said this week after a potato grew under simulated Mars atmospheric conditions in an experiment in Lima.

The CIP, in a report, said a potato was planted in a specially constructed CubeSat contained environment built by engineers from the University of Engineering and Technology in Lima.

The experiment ran from February 14 to March 5.

"Growing crops under Mars-like conditions is an important phase of this experiment," said Julio Valdivia-Silva, a Peruvian astrobiologist at UTEC in Lima who previously worked at NASA.

"If the crops can tolerate the extreme conditions that we are exposing them to in our CubeSat, they have a good chance to grow on Mars," he said, adding that several rounds of experiments will be conducted to find out which potato varieties do best.

Potatoes, one of the world's largest food crops, are believed to have first been cultivated by the Inca Indians in Peru around 8,000 to 5,000 BC.
excerpt

@kevindavis
@Freya

http://www.msn.com/en-ph/news/technology/scientists-grow-potato-under-mars-like-conditions-in-peru/ar-AAo84WT

Offline Suppressed

Re: Scientists grow potato under Mars-like conditions in Peru
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 09:13:28 pm »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 09:20:10 pm »
Yeah,since there is no oxygen or nitorgen in the Martian soil,how are they going to do that?

geronl

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 09:47:47 pm »
Yeah,since there is no oxygen or nitorgen in the Martian soil,how are they going to do that?

Inflatable greenhouse - um, compost.... the writer of the book had a good idea. Of course they'd need to grow more than just potatoes to survive.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 09:54:00 pm »
I think it would be a neat experiment sometime as we get the tech, to send a sealed mini-greenhouse setup to Mars, add the necessary air, water, and heat, and just see if anything grows, plant or bacteria.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 09:54:21 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 09:56:32 pm »
poop
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 10:20:43 pm »
They don't really say much about what conditions they mimicked aside from "Very dry" soil. I'm guessing they didn't grow anything in -100 degree temperatures or at .01 atmospheric pressures.

I'm not suggesting that nothing will ever be grown on mars, only that its a bit more complicated than spreading seed and waiting for the crops to come in.

My guess is that we'll start by processing the soils under pressurized greenhouses. The processing will probably begin by seeding the soil with bacteria that breaks down the harmful stuff. Plenty of plants can tolerate acidic/alkaline soils and can be genetically modified to be more so.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 10:26:32 pm »
They don't really say much about what conditions they mimicked aside from "Very dry" soil. I'm guessing they didn't grow anything in -100 degree temperatures or at .01 atmospheric pressures.

I'm not suggesting that nothing will ever be grown on mars, only that its a bit more complicated than spreading seed and waiting for the crops to come in.

My guess is that we'll start by processing the soils under pressurized greenhouses. The processing will probably begin by seeding the soil with bacteria that breaks down the harmful stuff. Plenty of plants can tolerate acidic/alkaline soils and can be genetically modified to be more so.
I agree on all points. Without something to grow it in, nothing will grow. The only other option would be hydroponics or 'aquaculture'. and start using the mineral soil as a prefilter for the latter to build organics.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 10:27:16 pm »
poop

@Smokin Joe

Gonna take a LOT of pooping by a small crew to grow a crop. I just don't see them creating enough "product" to fertilize enough potatoes to keep the supply chain unbroken,and what they use on one crop can't be used on another crop.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 10:36:38 pm »
@Smokin Joe

Gonna take a LOT of pooping by a small crew to grow a crop. I just don't see them creating enough "product" to fertilize enough potatoes to keep the supply chain unbroken,and what they use on one crop can't be used on another crop.
Likely self-sufficiency will be years down the road, and early agricultural efforts will be supplemental,  not sustaining. The poop itself isn't the only thing involved, but the bacteria in it to break down organics that are inedible, and reduce nitrogen to useable form. (Then too, by the time we get there, they'll send a political officer, and that one will be so full of fertilizer that there may be a surplus.) Building an agricultural soil (the beginnings of terraforming, even under a dome) will take time. The right bacteria will be a force multiplier, as they will reproduce and grow in number. A small culture could have a major effect.

C S Lewis

geronl

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2017, 10:48:59 pm »

I remember writing a short story where they had spent generations terra-forming a world. The POV characters father had driven tractors that injected the ground with nitrogen and nutrients. The first large things to grow (besides shrubs and mushrooms) were the kind of trees that grow on tops of mountains.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2017, 10:50:35 pm »
Likely self-sufficiency will be years down the road, and early agricultural efforts will be supplemental,  not sustaining. The poop itself isn't the only thing involved, but the bacteria in it to break down organics that are inedible, and reduce nitrogen to useable form. (Then too, by the time we get there, they'll send a political officer, and that one will be so full of fertilizer that there may be a surplus.) Building an agricultural soil (the beginnings of terraforming, even under a dome) will take time. The right bacteria will be a force multiplier, as they will reproduce and grow in number. A small culture could have a major effect.

By the time you move up to nematodes and earthworms you'll be well on your way.

geronl

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2017, 10:51:23 pm »

I agree. Going to have to store it for the whole trip from Earth, lol. In it's own re-entry capsule.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2017, 10:52:13 pm »
I imagine that potatoes grown in Martian soil would be red or orange. And they should be gigantic due to soil density, atmospheric pressure, and reduced gravity.

How would you like red Martian potatoes as big as your pillow?
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2017, 10:58:21 pm »
I remember writing a short story where they had spent generations terra-forming a world. The POV characters father had driven tractors that injected the ground with nitrogen and nutrients. The first large things to grow (besides shrubs and mushrooms) were the kind of trees that grow on tops of mountains.

Ideally we would find a way to produce a large enough magnetic field to encompass mars. It doesn't need to be strong, just large. After all you average refrigerator magnet is literally 10s of thousands of times stronger than the earth's magnetic field. Then you can start building an atmosphere and warming the planet.

geronl

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2017, 11:09:05 pm »
Ideally we would find a way to produce a large enough magnetic field to encompass mars. It doesn't need to be strong, just large. After all you average refrigerator magnet is literally 10s of thousands of times stronger than the earth's magnetic field. Then you can start building an atmosphere and warming the planet.

I can imagine a series of automated heaters that are also electro-magnets.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2017, 11:42:11 pm »
... (Then too, by the time we get there, they'll send a political officer, and that one will be so full of fertilizer that there may be a surplus.) "

@Smokin Joe

You could be onto something there. Political officers make fine fertilizer,and by killing one and using him or her to grow edible food,it must might make one useful.

Building an agricultural soil (the beginnings of terraforming, even under a dome) will take time. The right bacteria will be a force multiplier, as they will reproduce and grow in number. A small culture could have a major effect.

I'll take your word for that. I can't even grow weeds.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2017, 11:45:38 pm »

@Cripplecreek

DAYUM! That sounds like an excellent idea to me.

One question,though. Wouldn't that depend on there being iron close to the ground on Mars?

There could be an abundance of it for all I know. I'm just asking the question to learn,not sharpshooting.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 11:45:59 pm by sneakypete »

Offline DB

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2017, 11:50:45 pm »
@Cripplecreek

DAYUM! That sounds like an excellent idea to me.

One question,though. Wouldn't that depend on there being iron close to the ground on Mars?

There could be an abundance of it for all I know. I'm just asking the question to learn,not sharpshooting.

I believe Mars is red due to all the oxidized iron in the soil.

The problem is Mars' core is no longer molten so there's no "generator" to generate a magnetic field.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2017, 11:52:47 pm »

The problem is Mars' core is no longer molten so there's no "generator" to generate a magnetic field.

@DB  You could be,and probably are,right.

I freely admit to not knowing squat about Mars,other than Martin the Martian lives there,and he HATES wabbits.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2017, 11:56:59 pm »

Why is mars red?

http://www.space.com/16999-mars-red-planet.html

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline DB