Author Topic: The GOP’s ObamaCare replacement will boost jobs and cut taxes  (Read 1449 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

The GOP’s ObamaCare replacement will boost jobs and cut taxes
NY Post, Mar 10, 2017, Betsy McCaughey

Ignore the grandstanding on Capitol Hill and the noise coming from town-hall protests around the nation. The Republican bill to repeal and replace ObamaCare will boost your chances of getting a job and cut your tax bill, not to mention your insurance costs.

The repeal bill — called the American Health Care Act — also will stave off a tidal wave of future Medicaid spending that threatens to drown the states and Uncle Sam in red ink. Here’s how.

No more penalties. If you’re among the 8 million people getting whacked with a tax penalty for not enrolling in an overpriced ObamaCare plan, the repeal bill is good news. The federal government will no longer compel you to buy insurance.

The repeal bill also cancels penalties on employers. ObamaCare forced all but the smallest employers to provide a benefits package far costlier than what they had been offering prior to the reform. Employers then passed these costs onto workers, raising deductibles by 50 percent on about 155 million people.

Other employers dropped coverage altogether for millions of workers. Only in Washington, DC, would an employer mandate result in fewer people getting on-the-job coverage.

Still others — like community colleges and fast-food outlets — demoted workers to part-time status (having them work less than 30 hours a week) to avoid the mandate. In New York, some service and manufacturing companies stopped hiring altogether, according to the New York Fed.

Without repealing ObamaCare, there would be 2 million fewer people with full-time jobs by 2025, according to the Congressional Budget Office. The repeal bill is a jobs program.

Lower taxes. It’s also a massive $600 billion tax cut. It eliminates taxes that pushed up the costs of insurance and devices like artificial hips. It also allows people to put aside more earnings tax-free in a health-savings account for out-of-pocket health expenses.

And it eliminates the taxes that targeted people earning more than $200,000 a year, including the ObamaCare payroll tax hike (2.35 percent) and the 3.8 percent ObamaCare tax on unearned income.

Medicaid fix. Repeal rescues the nation from a looming financial calamity.

Disregard shrill complaints from ObamaCare partisans like Zeke Emanuel that reforming Medicaid is “cruel.” The repeal bill protects Americans who need Medicaid, grandfathering in everyone enrolled through 2019. No one will lose coverage. But states are put on an allowance after 2019. Medicaid reform is long overdue, and this repeal bill launches it.

More:  http://nypost.com/2017/03/10/the-gops-obamacare-replacement-will-boost-jobs-and-cut-taxes/

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: The GOP’s ObamaCare replacement will boost jobs and cut taxes
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 02:36:10 pm »
post removed
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 03:48:19 pm by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 02:36:53 pm »
For those who do not know, Betsy McCaughey is one of the most credible voices on health insurance/health care--which makes her opinion especially noteworthy, IMO.

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 02:41:59 pm »
No, @jmyrlefuller --  I posted this because Betsy McCaughey's credentials and credibility on this subject make her opinions noteworthy.  I am certainly not asking you to agree with her.

So if you do not agree, why not do so based on the merits of her arguments, rather than a kneejerk and personal slam at me?

@mystery-ak

edited the personal attack quoted

« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 03:19:17 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 02:53:43 pm »
No, @jmyrlefuller --  I posted this because Betsy McCaughey's credentials and credibility on this subject make her opinions noteworthy.  I am certainly not asking you to agree with her.

So if do not agree, why not do so based on the merits of her arguments, rather than a kneejerk and personal slam at me?

@mystery-ak

I agree. A bit out of character for Myrle, I think.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 03:15:45 pm »
Thank you.

@mystery-ak

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 04:52:36 pm »
I do not want a government issued replacement for ObamaCare.

I want Government totally OUT of healthcare and out of everything else it has usurped for itself to run and regulate the that is not enumerated responsibilities listed in the Constitution.

Anything less than that is still tyranny, I do not give a crap who defends and justifies all this GOP management of Obama's Statism.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 04:53:13 pm by INVAR »
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 08:09:34 pm »
Neither Obamacare nor whatever the GOP comes up with addresses the root problem.

1. Healthcare costs are out of control rising at double digits yearly
2. Americans don't understand that is the cost of medical care that is the problem and don't want to pay for their care, the majority want and expect someone else or the government to pay for them.

:shrug:

Expecting Trumpcare to boost jobs and cut taxes is pure fantasy

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 08:42:21 pm »
Neither Obamacare nor whatever the GOP comes up with addresses the root problem.

1. Healthcare costs are out of control rising at double digits yearly

All caused by the following:

• Frivolous lawsuits by a predatory legal system that enriches itself by finding plaintiffs to sue doctors for a malpractice payout.

• Government meddling that prohibits shopping for insurance plans across state lines, creating defacto monopolies by the big carriers with a handshake with state government that carve out sections of the country for their sole provision of insurance.

• An ignorant and irresponsible policy holder that simply expected their insurance companies to take care of everything without ever checking their bills for overcharges themselves.  Same sickness that the populace has due to Withholding - whereby they never bother to worry about what they are taxed on because they live off their net.

and mostly as montanajoe already pointed out:

• Americans don't want the responsibility to monitor their charges or to pay for their care.   The majority want and expect someone else or the government to pay it for them.

and -

Expecting GOP/Trumpcare to boost jobs and cut taxes is beyond pure fantasy and into the realm of Pelosi-speak.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Online corbe

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 10:14:40 pm »
   Tort Reform worked in Texas and must be included in ANY Health Care/Insurance plan for it to be successful.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 10:47:16 pm »
Thanks for posting this, RIV!

Remember that unity on this bill, as a first step,  does one very important thing:  it gets rid of the employer mandate and sends a clear signal from Republicans to employers everywhere - you can start hiring again. 

The sooner that signal is sent, the better.

It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2017, 10:47:57 pm »
Thanks for posting this, RIV!

Remember that unity on this bill, as a first step,  does one very important thing:  it gets rid of the employer mandate and sends a clear signal from Republicans to employers everywhere - you can start hiring again. 

The sooner that signal is sent, the better.

:thumbsup:
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 10:48:24 pm by Weird Tolkienish Figure »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2017, 10:48:31 pm »
   Tort Reform worked in Texas and must be included in ANY Health Care/Insurance plan for it to be successful.

Of course.   But the AHCA is designed to be a budget reconciliation bill.    Tort reform has to come later. 

• Technical
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2017, 10:49:06 pm »
Of course.   But the AHCA is designed to be a budget reconciliation bill.    Tort reform has to come later.

Is that a federal or state issue though?

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2017, 10:51:13 pm »

I want Government totally OUT of healthcare and out of everything else it has usurped for itself to run and regulate the that is not enumerated responsibilities listed in the Constitution.

Anything less than that is still tyranny, I do not give a crap who defends and justifies all this GOP management of Obama's Statism.

The tantrum is duly noted.   Adults, however, are in charge.

• Technical
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2017, 10:53:08 pm »

I don't either but... sometimes you gotta play chess imo.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2017, 10:54:53 pm »

I don't either but... sometimes you gotta play chess imo.

You are welcome to go ahead and play games with tyranny.

That is what slaves do to get their portion.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2017, 10:56:57 pm »
The tantrum is duly noted.   Adults, however, are in charge.

King George III and his parliament said virtually the same thing to the Colonists that wanted tyranny stopped.

Now as then, what you call adults are merely tyrants upon the breath of liberty.

Online corbe

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2017, 11:17:49 pm »

Is that a federal or state issue though?

Either/Or kinda like the clusterfk we now know as marijuana Laws.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2017, 03:39:17 am »
Invar wrote above:
"I want Government totally OUT of healthcare"

Once again, it's time to repeat Fishrrman's credo:
Reality is what it is. It is not what we believe it to be.

The reality is that government is always going to be involved "with healthcare" in some manner or other into the future.
The government will NEVER be "OUT of healthcare".

Whatever we do, however we go forward, has to take this into account...

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2017, 08:38:17 am »
Invar wrote above:
"I want Government totally OUT of healthcare"

Once again, it's time to repeat Fishrrman's credo:
Reality is what it is. It is not what we believe it to be.

The reality is that government is always going to be involved "with healthcare" in some manner or other into the future.
The government will NEVER be "OUT of healthcare".

Whatever we do, however we go forward, has to take this into account...

That would be like telling the Colonists: 'The reality is that the Crown is always going to be involved in  taxing you without representation in some manner or other for now and into the future'.

I think their answer to such excuses for tyranny is what forged a separate nation.