Author Topic: Yeeesh: 82-year-old Orrin Hatch reverses course, will run for another Senate term — with Trump’s backing  (Read 2098 times)

Offline endicom

Hot Air
Allahpundit
Mar. 9, 2017

Headline, March 14, 2012: “HATCH WILL RETIRE IN 2018 IF HE WINS REELECTION.” Coincidentally, he was facing a primary challenge at the time and a tea-party base that wasn’t thrilled with the idea of sending a 78-year-old back to the Senate for six more years. If “draining the swamp” means anything, it means at a minimum replacing elderly careerists with younger legislators every decade or three, no? That was Hatch’s bargain with populists — give him one more term and then he’ll step aside.

More... http://hotair.com/archives/2017/03/09/yeeesh-82-year-old-orrin-hatch-reverses-course-will-run-for-another-senate-term-with-trumps-backing/

Embalm the swamp.

geronl

this is the opposite of draining the swamp

Offline MajorClay

Offline Frank Cannon

Sen Orrin Hatch hits the reelection road in his new campaign bus.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

Sen Orrin Hatch hits the reelection road in his new campaign bus.
Exactly. If I am so pathetic that I still have to show up for work when I'm 85, especially to a government job, I would kill myself already. That is a pretty big indication that some bad choices were made in my life, and that I need new investment management.

But I wouldn't worry too much about it. Reality takes no prisoners, and it has no mercy. I just have several doubts that he could physically run for anything at his age. I know most politicians aspire to leave office in a pine box but come on. Everyone dies eventually, no matter who you are.

Why would Trump, who ran on term limits, support a 90 year old guy who has been in office since 1934? I don't understand?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 05:53:58 am by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Frank Cannon

Why would Trump, who ran on term limits, support a 90 year old guy who has been in office since 1934? I don't understand?

He may not have to. UT has some very wacky Primary rules where the party candidate is chosen in a caucus of party leaders. If someone were to take advantage of the system and get some support for a younger man with name recognition, Hatch could be shown the door before a single vote is cast.

http://www.politico.com/story/2010/05/sen-bennett-loses-gop-nomination-036960

Bennett finished in third place in the crucial second-round vote, garnering just 26 percent of the delegates' support, well behind Tea Party-backed attorney Mike Lee and businessman Tim Bridgewater, who will advance to the June 22nd primary.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
He may not have to. UT has some very wacky Primary rules where the party candidate is chosen in a caucus of party leaders. If someone were to take advantage of the system and get some support for a younger man with name recognition, Hatch could be shown the door before a single vote is cast.

http://www.politico.com/story/2010/05/sen-bennett-loses-gop-nomination-036960

Bennett finished in third place in the crucial second-round vote, garnering just 26 percent of the delegates' support, well behind Tea Party-backed attorney Mike Lee and businessman Tim Bridgewater, who will advance to the June 22nd primary.
I seriously doubt that he will run again. This is ridiculous. These ages and time in office, across the board on both sides, are already way past just being silly.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Frank Cannon

I seriously doubt that he will run again. This is ridiculous. These ages and time in office, across the board on both sides, are already way past just being silly.

Hatch has a ton of power at his fingertips being the extremely senior Sen from UT. He also has access to billions of dollars to play games with. Senators rarely leave office voluntarily. It's usually in a body bag, handcuffs or being thrown out.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Hatch has a ton of power at his fingertips being the extremely senior Sen from UT. He also has access to billions of dollars to play games with. Senators rarely leave office voluntarily. It's usually in a body bag, handcuffs or being thrown out.
Yep. I could have written every word of that myself. They're like heroin addicts, only they are addicted to money and power. They simply can't give it up until they are dead. We need a national 'intervention' with all these old timers. They need counseling to understand their insane addiction.

But when does it get so ridiculous and so absurd that a substantive change is made? We can't have politicians showing up in Congress while laying in a hospital bed with an ICU team to keep them alive. When is enough enough? I thought Trump might be the one. Now I am not so sure.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 06:51:14 am by 240B »