Author Topic: Glen Beck: The GOP Obamacare Replacement is Total Garbage  (Read 2144 times)

Offline libertybele

Glen Beck: The GOP Obamacare Replacement is Total Garbage
« on: March 09, 2017, 01:06:43 pm »
Beck interviewed Pence on this issue.  Sorry folks, I'm still not a Pence fan.  He's a smooth talker. Pence and Ryan IMHO are in the RINO camp. If everything was on the up and up and repeal was even a consideration, the GOPe wouldn't have gone behind closed doors.  He's trying to push this new and improved plan like it's the best thing since sliced bread. 

The GOP Obamacare Replacement Is Total Garbage

Republicans complained and moaned about Obamacare when they didn’t have control of the White House. They actually put together a bill repealing it, which passed the House and the Senate only to be vetoed by President Obama. So why are they pushing a watered-down version now rather than a full repeal? “Look at what that reveals about Republicans. When they knew that there was no chance of getting it through they passed a clean Obamacare repeal,” Co-host Stu Burguiere said Wednesday on radio. “Now, the second they have a chance . . . all they have to do is pass this and they have control of everything . . . and what happens?” What happened was Republicans releasing a replacement that embraces and entrenches many of the largest and most problematic portions of Obamacare, confirming that the majority of our elected officials don’t care what their constituents want. “It just shows how worthless they are. This is why we’re not high on the Republican Party,” Co-host Pat Gray said. “This is exactly the reason we’re not.”

Listen to this segment from The Glenn Beck Program:

Source: http://www.glennbeck.com/2017/03/08/the-gop-obamacare-replacement-is-total-garbage/?utm_source=glennbeck&utm_medium=contentcopy_link

Source: http://www.glennbeck.com/2017/03/08/the-gop-obamacare-replacement-is-total-garbage/?utm_source=glennbeck&utm_medium=contentcopy_link

« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 01:07:47 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Re: Glen Beck: The GOP Obamacare Replacement is Total Garbage
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 01:27:24 pm »
Full repeal doesn't have the votes, especially in the Senate where gerrymandering doesn't exist to place extremists (of both sides) in safe seats.    A significant number of GOP Senators recognize that if they repeal the ACA and return to the status quo ante, they'll be tossed out by the voters. 

No, given the slim GOP majority and the need to accomplish things through the budget reconciliation process,  the ACA must be repaired or replaced - and the AHCA represents an excellent first step that preserves what many like about the ACA while abolishing the hated mandates and freeing insurance companies to offer more choices in the marketplace. 

The bottom line is the only reform that can pass is one that can gain the unified support of the GOP caucus and be signed by the President.    A simple repeal and return to the status quo ante can't do that.   Talk radio hosts exist to agitate their listeners;  they don't reflect the reality of politics as the art of the possible.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 01:27:50 pm »
But Beck is just a kook.  *Cue the picture of Beck crying*

Everyone at TOS says so.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 01:29:32 pm »
But Beck is just a kook.  *Cue the picture of Beck crying*

Everyone at TOS says so.

Kooks make excellent talk radio hosts.   They don't make effective politicians.   

Offline libertybele

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 01:48:44 pm »
Full repeal doesn't have the votes, especially in the Senate where gerrymandering doesn't exist to place extremists (of both sides) in safe seats.    A significant number of GOP Senators recognize that if they repeal the ACA and return to the status quo ante, they'll be tossed out by the voters. 

No, given the slim GOP majority and the need to accomplish things through the budget reconciliation process,  the ACA must be repaired or replaced - and the AHCA represents an excellent first step that preserves what many like about the ACA while abolishing the hated mandates and freeing insurance companies to offer more choices in the marketplace. 

The bottom line is the only reform that can pass is one that can gain the unified support of the GOP caucus and be signed by the President.    A simple repeal and return to the status quo ante can't do that.   Talk radio hosts exist to agitate their listeners;  they don't reflect the reality of politics as the art of the possible.

What many like about the ACA?  I don't know of one person that likes the ACA, not one! In particular, I have two neighbors who just both happen to be in wheelchairs; their level of accessible healthcare has become worse, not better.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 02:15:35 pm »
Kooks make excellent talk radio hosts.   They don't make effective politicians.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with the facts presented by Beck or the conclusions that he draws.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 02:26:10 pm »
Which has absolutely nothing to do with the facts presented by Beck or the conclusions that he draws.

There you go spouting truth again!   888high58888
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 02:26:43 pm »

So let's have a dialogue, Sanguine.   What would you do to improve the AHCA?   Keep in mind my perspective on such matters - I have little interest in advocating courses of action that aren't politically possible.   We don't have the votes to simply repeal the ACA.  And Trump would likely veto such a repeal anyway. 

Is the AHCA an improvement on the ACA?  If not, why not?   

Offline skeeter

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 02:27:01 pm »
What many like about the ACA?  I don't know of one person that likes the ACA, not one! In particular, I have two neighbors who just both happen to be in wheelchairs; their level of accessible healthcare has become worse, not better.

Its easy - those to whom ACA directs money love it.

Those who have to pay don't.

The difference here is that compared to other government mandated entitlement monsters ACA's costs weren't incremental - it cost some of us a whole LOT of money and in a very short time.
And for good measure it priced many of us right out of health insurance.

But what the hell, we've always sucked it up before, the establishment thinks we'll just suck it up again.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 02:29:02 pm »
The difference here is that compared to other government mandated entitlement monsters ACA's costs weren't incremental - it cost some of us a whole LOT of money and in a very short time.
And for good measure it priced many of us right out of health insurance.

That's why the ACA needs to be fixed.  More choices in the marketplace is one of the changes made by the AHCA.  Could it do more?  Sure - but it's a vast improvement on the ACA.   

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 02:32:10 pm »
So let's have a dialogue, Sanguine.   What would you do to improve the AHCA?   Keep in mind my perspective on such matters - I have little interest in advocating courses of action that aren't politically possible.   We don't have the votes to simply repeal the ACA.  And Trump would likely veto such a repeal anyway. 

Well.....I would repeal it.  Period.  It's not a function of the federal government. 

Offline skeeter

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 02:37:35 pm »
That's why the ACA needs to be fixed.  More choices in the marketplace is one of the changes made by the AHCA.  Could it do more?  Sure - but it's a vast improvement on the ACA.

Actually, I'm undecided on the process the GOP is pursuing. I understand the argument concerning reconciliation, the lack of votes, and doing what is possible ASAP to maintain legislative momentum.

On the other hand, the GOP has virtually no credibility when it comes to their promises to roll back any entitlement, they've always done what is politically expedient while quietly supporting further governmental expansion. So there's that.

Ultimately the ACA has to go, completely. At its core it is the antithesis of what the federal government should be involved in.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 02:49:30 pm »
You're addressing a point of ideology, skeeter.  That's fine - ideology is discussed ad infinitum on political discussion boards.   But the current situation requires pragmatism and the recognition of what's politically possible.   

Silver Pines

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2017, 02:53:23 pm »
 Beck can be overly dramatic and emotional, and at those times, I tune him out.  But he also has a lot to say that's worth listening to.  Also, he's working with a group to evacuate Christians out of Iraq; they've saved hundreds so far.

As for Mike Pence, remember he took the money and expanded Medicaid in Indiana. 

I've never been much of a Pence fan, and I won't say sorry.  In order to get the veep spot, he did complete 180s on several of his previously held stances.  He has the face of a guy who would do that kind of thing...it's weak and simpering.

Silver Pines

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2017, 02:56:55 pm »
Well.....I would repeal it.  Period.  It's not a function of the federal government.

@Sanguine

Like Stu said, they voted to repeal when they knew it didn't have a chance of going through.  They could do it now if they wanted to.

If not, why did they run on it?

Offline libertybele

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2017, 02:57:40 pm »

Absolutely one thing that I am sick to death of hearing from the GOPe ..."we don't have the votes"!  They didn't have the votes to impeach Bammy ... they don't have the votes to repeal the ACA ...WE HAVE THE MAJORITY ... at least take a vote for crying out loud!!  Throwing up one's arms and not voting at all because they don't think they can win is NOT acceptable.  I want to know who's voting for and against repeal! Those Congressmen voting against need to be put on record and they need to be replaced!  Vote for what the people want and vote for what was promised; not for what they think they can get the DEMS to agree on. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2017, 03:01:12 pm »

@Sanguine

Like Stu said, they voted to repeal when they knew it didn't have a chance of going through.  They could do it now if they wanted to.

If not, why did they run on it?

Why did they run on it?  Well, to get elected of course!

Offline skeeter

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2017, 03:04:51 pm »
Absolutely one thing that I am sick to death of hearing from the GOPe ..."we don't have the votes"!  They didn't have the votes to impeach Bammy ... they don't have the votes to repeal the ACA ...WE HAVE THE MAJORITY ... at least take a vote for crying out loud!!  Throwing up one's arms and not voting at all because they don't think they can win is NOT acceptable.  I want to know who's voting for and against repeal! Those Congressmen voting against need to be put on record and they need to be replaced!  Vote for what the people want and vote for what was promised; not for what they think they can get the DEMS to agree on.

The only argument that makes sense is that right now the GOP doesn't want a high profile fight that they end up losing. It could blunt any momentum on other issues going forward.

Frankly I don't know what the proper tactical course of action is. I only know they'd better ultimately bury this monstrosity.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2017, 03:14:25 pm »

Well, I guess that's the dialogue.   But keep in mind that the perfect is the enemy of the good.   

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2017, 03:19:05 pm »
You and I can caterwaul on a message board about how terrible the government is.  But a politician can't do squat unless he or she can get elected.  And most folks vote for candidates who promise to help them and exhibit honesty, principle and accountability in the process - not the mounting of anti-government crusades. 

Pragmatism is something we need more of, not less.     
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 03:19:48 pm by Jazzhead »

Silver Pines

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2017, 03:25:32 pm »

@Sanguine

Well, sure, but call me crazy, I nursed a glimmer of hope that they would repeal it, now that they're in control.  And even though I knew Trump didn't mean all those promises.

None of them, except a handful like Cruz, Lee, Paul, and Sasse want it gone.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2017, 03:27:03 pm »
Well, I guess that's the dialogue.   But keep in mind that the perfect is the enemy of the good.

I know you don't want to hear it (and, usually don't), but that's what it is. 

Silver Pines

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2017, 03:27:39 pm »
You and I can caterwaul on a message board about how terrible the government is.  But a politician can't do squat unless he or she can get elected.  And most folks vote for candidates who promise to help them and exhibit honesty, principle and accountability in the process - not the mounting of anti-government crusades. 

Pragmatism is something we need more of, not less.   

Instead what happens is they get elected and then do squat.

Over.

And over.

And over.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2017, 05:42:38 pm »

Instead what happens is they get elected and then do squat.

Over.

And over.

And over.

The AHCA is hardly "doing squat".   It's comprehensive and makes many crucial changes to the ACA.  If passed, it will be followed by additional legislation that can be passed under regular order.    It may not be the approach you favor,  but don't accuse the GOP of dropping the ball.   They are doing the peoples' business and the peoples' will here.  Don't forget we just had a Presidential election,  and the new President specifically campaigned on fixing the ACA, not getting rid of it.   Repeal without replacement is NOT what the people voted for.   

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2017, 05:44:34 pm »
@Sanguine

.  And even though I knew Trump didn't mean all those promises.

None of them, except a handful like Cruz, Lee, Paul, and Sasse want it gone.

Then you weren't listening.  Trump never was in favor of repeal without replacement.   And neither does anyone else in Congress save a handful of ideologues.