Author Topic: Cowboys to release all-time leading passer Tony Romo on Thursday  (Read 1833 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Cowboys to release all-time leading passer Tony Romo on Thursday
    Todd Archer
    Adam Schefter

The Cowboys will release the franchise's all-time leader in passing yards and touchdowns on Thursday, sources told ESPN, allowing him the chance to sign with another team if he desires while removing any doubt that they have the utmost faith in Dak Prescott.

Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones' decision to release Romo was the result of a conversation between the two on Tuesday, league sources told ESPN's Ed Werder.

A source told Werder that Romo did not have to pressure Jones to release him before the official beginning of NFL free agency so he could pursue opportunities with another franchise.

Jones told Romo that he had waited to determine whether another team might offer the Cowboys something in a trade for the oft-injured quarterback. When that failed to occur following the NFL scouting combine, Jones told Romo he would release him and make him a June 1 designation, which will save the Cowboys $14 million against the cap this year.

more at:       http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18854803/dallas-cowboys-release-tony-romo-thursday
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

Re: Cowboys to release all-time leading passer Tony Romo on Thursday
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 10:35:04 pm »
I know it's far fetched, but for some ungodly reason, the Washington Redskins refuse to pay Kirk Cousins the market price he's going to be offered.

Of course, they want to build their defense and offensive line.

Signing Romo for a year, while trading Cousins for future 3rd round picks, you can.......START THE HELL ALL OVER AGAIN>>>>>>LIKE IT'S BEEN FOR THE PAST TWENTY-FIVE GD YEARS!!!!!! 22222frying pan
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 01:56:17 am »
If I was Romo I woud retire.. I suspect he will get more injuries and down the road he will pay for it in the long term..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline corbe

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 02:23:12 am »
   @DCPatriot  IMHO signing Romo is not gonna give any NFL Team a year, he'll get hurt in pre season.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 03:35:14 am »
   @DCPatriot  IMHO signing Romo is not gonna give any NFL Team a year, he'll get hurt in pre season.

Well, at least it won't be with the Cowboys!

geronl

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 06:01:10 am »
no matter what happens he still counts millions against the salary cap next season

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 12:07:18 pm »
If I was Romo I woud retire.. I suspect he will get more injuries and down the road he will pay for it in the long term..
Have you seen the market for quarterbacks lately?

Romo will be netting an eight-figure salary just for signing with a team. If he's healthy at all, he'd be nuts to turn down that kind of money.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 12:54:56 pm »
Have you seen the market for quarterbacks lately?

Romo will be netting an eight-figure salary just for signing with a team. If he's healthy at all, he'd be nuts to turn down that kind of money.

It's crazy, isn't it?

They franchised Kirk Cousins LAST year and he was guaranteed his full $19,900,000 salary.

Then, he goes out and throws for almost another 5 THOUSAND yards, breaking the Redskins' QB record for completions/yardage.

This year, they still refuse to work out any long-term deal and now they're forced to used the "Exclusive Franchise" tag, which is costing them about $26,000,000.

So, without any contract, Cousins earns $46 MILLION...total, the past two seasons.

....and lose all leverage in any negotiations.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 12:55:43 pm by DCPatriot »

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 09:05:41 pm »
 jimgeraghty‏Verified account @jimgeraghty

I heard Tony Romo & RG3 bumped into each other into the airport. After the bump, both QBs are expected to require surgery, be out 8 weeks.

:silly:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 09:19:19 pm »

I heard Tony Romo & RG3 bumped into each other into the airport. After the bump, both QBs are expected to require surgery, be out 8 weeks.

Ouch!

Offline Blizzardnh

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 09:31:58 pm »
I agree Romo plays his heart out , but to many back and neck injuries.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 09:38:13 pm »
I agree Romo plays his heart out , but to many back and neck injuries.
I wonder if he ever has a pain-free moment anymore. His shoulders really have taken a beating.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2017, 01:04:45 am »
I wonder if he ever has a pain-free moment anymore. His shoulders really have taken a beating.
I remember Peyton Manning's last season. He talked about how he had taken such a beating from pro football that he has permanently lost sensation in his extremities (that "losing feeling in my toes" was not just a silly jingle). He was a mess that season.

And yet Tom Brady looks as young and invincible as ever. It's as if he sold his soul to Satan. (I wouldn't rule it out.)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2017, 02:35:19 pm »
And yet Tom Brady looks as young and invincible as ever. It's as if he sold his soul to Satan. (I wouldn't rule it out.)
I have no doubt of that. (Steeler fan here).  ^-^

I had a friend who played three years in the NFL for two or three teams as a backup QB. After he realized it was a dead end, he went to law school. But four years of college and those three years in the league did a number on him! One finger had been smashed and the knuckle was about 50% wider than it should be, another finger jutted off in the wrong direction, and he had other aches and pains he's probably feeling even more, now that he's in his early 60s.

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2017, 11:53:07 am »
I have no doubt of that. (Steeler fan here).  ^-^

I had a friend who played three years in the NFL for two or three teams as a backup QB. After he realized it was a dead end, he went to law school. But four years of college and those three years in the league did a number on him! One finger had been smashed and the knuckle was about 50% wider than it should be, another finger jutted off in the wrong direction, and he had other aches and pains he's probably feeling even more, now that he's in his early 60s.

I imagine all of the players who suffer from football down the road is the result of playing longer than they should have.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

geronl

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2017, 03:28:50 pm »

So, without any contract, Cousins earns $46 MILLION...total, the past two seasons.

....and lose all leverage in any negotiations.

I am sure he is all torn up about that.

geronl

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2017, 03:30:04 pm »

omg, hilarious

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2017, 04:11:04 pm »
I remember Peyton Manning's last season. He talked about how he had taken such a beating from pro football that he has permanently lost sensation in his extremities (that "losing feeling in my toes" was not just a silly jingle). He was a mess that season.

Wouldn't surprise me if Cousins signed with the Patriots as a back-up to Tom Brady.

They commented on the talent of Kirk Cousins YEARS AGO when they shared a preseason camp together and they observed the craziness of the so-called competition between RGIII and Kirk....saying that Cousins was the better QB...hands down.

But...after all this, Cousins will end up in San Francisco with Kyle Shanahan.    Where he belongs.....