Author Topic: E.ON Announces Nearly 20 MW of Wind Energy Storage  (Read 4110 times)

Offline thackney

E.ON Announces Nearly 20 MW of Wind Energy Storage
« on: March 07, 2017, 01:51:02 pm »
E.ON Announces Nearly 20 MW of Wind Energy Storage
http://www.power-eng.com/articles/2017/03/e-on-announces-nearly-20-mw-of-wind-energy-storage.html
Mar 2, 2017

E.ON North America announced its nearly 20 MW Texas Waves energy storage projects will be located at the existing E.ON Pyron and Inadale wind farms in West Texas.

The two 9.9-MW short-duration batteries are scheduled to come online by the end of 2017.

"Our Texas Waves projects allow us to break new ground and establish ourselves in the storage business in the Texas market, complementing our more than 2.7 gigawatts of operating wind capacity in the state," said Steve Trenholm, president of E.ON Solar & Energy Storage.

Texas Waves will provide ancillary services to the Electric Reliability Council of Texas market and will be able to quickly respond to shifts in power demand.

The Texas project follows Iron Horse, E.ON’s first grid-connected lithium battery system project. That 10-MW storage facility with an adjacent 2-MW solar array is being built southeast of Tuscon, Arizona, for operations in the first half of this year.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: E.ON Announces Nearly 20 MW of Wind Energy Storage
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 02:13:47 pm »
Wind Energy. What a farce.  Wish more pics of dead birds whacked by these monstrosites would surface.

Of course the enviorwhackos and the complicit MSM isn't going to allow that.

And where is the Audubon Society on this one?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 02:22:27 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 02:15:21 pm »
Wind Energy. What a farce.  Wish more pics of dead birds whacked by these monstrosites would surface.

I'm just glad I don't have any within sight of me ruining my view.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 02:20:35 pm »
Xzactly.......

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 02:21:15 pm »

I wonder what those folks who do have the windfarms in their view are going to do when the companies that built them walk away from the projects when the federal subsidies go away. They cannot compete without them. The subsidies also include not being hit with the unavailability charges that all other power plants pay to the grid operator based upon their capacity factors. Wind power has a truly horrid capacity factor with solar right behind it. Nuke plants have the best capacity factors of all forms of generation.

The wind farms also should not be exempt from environmental fines for killing birds.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 02:22:40 pm by Joe Wooten »

Offline thackney

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 02:25:25 pm »
For me, my only problem with wind energy is the government subsidy.

I like seeing them while driving towards NW Texas.  Fields still being farmed with oil wells and wind farms all on the same land.  Multiple uses of the same land at the same time.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 02:25:42 pm »
Xzactly.......

While mine isn't generating power, the dam I live above wouldn't ruin my view if it was generating power. In fact Dams create valuable lake frontage. (Not to mention wildlife habitat created)

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 02:25:43 pm »
I wonder what those folks who do have the windfarms in their view are going to do when the companies that built them walk away from the projects when the federal subsidies go away.

They better hope the price of scrap iron and copper futures are up.  What do dozers run per hour in West Texas? :silly:

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 02:36:43 pm »

I like seeing them while driving towards NW Texas.  Fields still being farmed with oil wells and wind farms all on the same land.  Multiple uses of the same land at the same time.

Not me.  Everytime I see one it reeks of envirowhacko liberalism and big government wasteful subsidies.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 02:37:11 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline thackney

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 02:41:56 pm »
Not me.  Everytime I see one it reeks of envirowhacko liberalism and big government wasteful subsidies.

The subsidies are wrong, I absolutely agree.  But I'm glad to see farmers that can get additional income from their land while giving up very little in the farming acreage.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 02:48:11 pm »
But I'm glad to see farmers that can get additional income from their land while giving up very little in the farming acreage.

Okay with that as long as no one else's view is getting tainted, or their property values impacted accordingly.

I'd be pissed if a neighbor slapped a 100 of these next to me.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 03:05:11 pm »
Okay with that as long as no one else's view is getting tainted, or their property values impacted accordingly.

There have been a lot of dirty games played over the approval of wind farms.

http://www.michigancapitolconfidential.com/features/search/?site=MCC&text=Wind&x=0&y=0

Offline thackney

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 03:26:13 pm »

While I can understand not wanting them around, we don't own our view, unless you buy all the property within sight.

If you want to control you neighbors land use, you need to live in a subdivision with a homeowners association.

I have finally managed to throw off those chains and welcome my neighbors to succeed as they are able, as I will as well.  You may not want to smell the output from my horses and cows either.  But if you are a friendly neighbor, I can offer some free composted fertilizer next year.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 03:47:32 pm »
While I can understand not wanting them around, we don't own our view, unless you buy all the property within sight.

If you want to control you neighbors land use, you need to live in a subdivision with a homeowners association.

I have finally managed to throw off those chains and welcome my neighbors to succeed as they are able, as I will as well.  You may not want to smell the output from my horses and cows either.  But if you are a friendly neighbor, I can offer some free composted fertilizer next year.

:tongue2:

I guess some of us have had a kumbuyah "moment of clarity".

Myself?  I wear this Curmudgeon hat as a badge of honor.  I say to be a good neighbor act like one.

Offline thackney

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2017, 04:03:46 pm »
I guess some of us have had a kumbuyah "moment of clarity".

I don't understand that comment.  For myself, I listened to decades of similar type complaints about drilling rigs, power line and offshore platforms.  I don't see the difference.

Myself?  I wear this Curmudgeon hat as a badge of honor.  I say to be a good neighbor act like one.

Cheers then!

Offline Idiot

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2017, 05:03:51 pm »
I wonder what those folks who do have the windfarms in their view are going to do when the companies that built them walk away from the projects when the federal subsidies go away. They cannot compete without them. The subsidies also include not being hit with the unavailability charges that all other power plants pay to the grid operator based upon their capacity factors. Wind power has a truly horrid capacity factor with solar right behind it. Nuke plants have the best capacity factors of all forms of generation.

The wind farms also should not be exempt from environmental fines for killing birds.

Funny story....   We drilled an oil well directly under a windmill they were doing maintenance on at the time.  The guys working on the windmill thought it would be funny to relieve themselves from on top of the nacelle...and of course it landed on the drilling rig and the workers below.  Pretty much all hell brokeout on the drilling rig as the rig hands decided to chain the lower door shut to the windmill tower and wait for the culprits to come down.  They were prepared for a pretty intense fight.  Things escalated to the point where other windmill workers showed up to protect their employees.  It all ended peacefully as the windmill workers apologized. 

As far as what to do with the windmills...they are basically just bolted down to the foundations.  Just get a large crescent wrench and that baby's coming down....lol.

Windmills were an interesting novelty to watch them being put up.  Now I can't stand them as they are EVERYWHERE here.  Not to mention that they do make noise when near them.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 05:05:32 pm by mrpotatohead »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2017, 05:08:02 pm »
Funny story....   We drilled an oil well directly under a windmill they were doing maintenance on at the time.  The guys working on the windmill thought it would be funny to relieve themselves from on top of the nacelle...and of course it landed on the drilling rig and the workers below.  Pretty much all hell brokeout on the drilling rig as the rig hands decided to chain the lower door shut to the windmill tower and wait for the culprits to come down.  They were prepared for a pretty intense fight.  Things escalated to the point where other windmill workers showed up to protect their employees.  It all ended peacefully as the windmill workers apologized. 

Story?  Sounds like you could make a television episode off that plot line.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2017, 11:04:57 pm »

And where is the Audubon Society on this one?
This is 100% BS in the extreme. The public needs to know, and I believe it will find out under DT, that the bill of goods has a devastating cost that is unsupportable.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2017, 11:08:11 pm »

Being a farmer,  I know a lot of these folks took the payoff to install them to support their livelihoods.  It is the same as allowing an oil company onto ones's lands to drill for oil.

The real test is what you brought up:  What happens next.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2017, 11:10:21 pm »
For me, my only problem with wind energy is the government subsidy.

Only problem?  Gee, what if you had that whirling bird sitting in your pasture like some do?

You have to be kidding I do hope @ thackney
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 11:11:01 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »

Offline thackney

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2017, 01:57:48 am »
Only problem?  Gee, what if you had that whirling bird sitting in your pasture like some do?
J
You have to be kidding I do hope @ thackney

I would like both that pump jack and that wind mill in my back pasture producing money as long as neither had a taxpayer subsidy.  I would want neither in my front yard up by the house. 

There is already two pipelines back there.

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2017, 02:00:57 am »
I would like both that pump jack and that wind mill in my back pasture producing money as long as neither had a taxpayer subsidy.  I would want neither in my front yard up by the house. 

There is already two pipelines back there.
The chance at the wind mill happening without taxpayer support is nil, whereas the others have some promise.

Have you ever in your life read about a windmill generating electricity that was not supported by forced extraction from taxpayers?

And you have preached staying out of the govt largesse for so long.  I am disappointed.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 02:02:55 am by IsailedawayfromFR »

Offline thackney

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2017, 01:02:59 pm »
Have you ever in your life read about a windmill generating electricity that was not supported by forced extraction from taxpayers?

Yes, I've even helped install them for oil/gas companies in remote locations.  The tech has its place and the price continues to drop.

And you have preached staying out of the govt largesse for so long.  I am disappointed.

And I repeatedly said in this thread and all others, no government subsidy.

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2017, 03:08:12 pm »
Yes, I've even helped install them for oil/gas companies in remote locations.  The tech has its place and the price continues to drop.

And I repeatedly said in this thread and all others, no government subsidy.
I can see the remoteness might be a preclude an economic consideration, but the amounts of wind farms that do not get subsidies is likely to be nil.

Offline thackney

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2017, 03:27:04 pm »
I can see the remoteness might be a preclude an economic consideration...

It is still an economic consideration, but it is specific to the location.  Just like a NatGas engine versus an electric motor for a pipeline compressor station. 

The dropping cost of utility sized battery systems are also changing the future landscape of non-dispatchable generation.