Author Topic: Outrage as Ben Carson calls slaves 'immigrants' who came to America with a 'dream' in his first speech as HUD secretary  (Read 1836 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Outrage as Ben Carson calls slaves 'immigrants' who came to America with a 'dream' in his first speech as HUD secretary

Carson gave first official speech as HUD secretary in Washington on Monday
    'There were immigrants who came here in slave ships,' Carson said
    The remark was largely ignored by the HUD workers in attendance
    But the speech was broadcast live on social media
    Actor Samuel L. Jackson blasted Carson on Twitter, as did others

By Ariel Zilber For Dailymail.com

Published: 18:15 EST, 6 March 2017 | Updated: 19:03 EST, 6 March 2017

Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson on Monday likened slaves who came to this country centuries ago to modern-day immigrants searching for a better life.

Carson's remarks, his first since being appointed to head HUD by President Donald Trump, outraged social media.

'That's what America is about,' Carson said in remarks which were broadcast live on social media.

The secretary was addressing the federal workers at his department in Washington as well as employees in HUD offices throughout the country.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4287880/Ben-Carson-likens-slaves-immigrants-speech.html#ixzz4abC50afx
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Offline Rivergirl

Perhaps this man is an idiot savant.

Offline Hoodat

'A land of dreams and opportunity. There were other immigrants who came here in the bottom of slave ships, worked even longer, even harder for less.'

'But they, too, had a dream that one day their sons, daughters, grandsons, granddaughters, great grandsons, great granddaughters might pursue prosperity and happiness in this land.'

Not seeing a problem here.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Wingnut

Nope.  Just the twisting of his words to appeal to the weak minded and further the hate.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical

Except for calling slaves "immigrants". that does not really compute IMO.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision

Well, technically, they came here, and that's all that matters.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Carson is correct.  It is the migration that is pertinent to being an immigrant, not its voluntary or involuntary nature.

Slaves were as involuntary as kids are when dragged across the border by their parents.

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline NavyCanDo

Me niether after reading what he actually said. People too eager to believe headlines. No wonder fake news thrives so well.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

geronl

A surgeon in charge of HUD is speaking about immigrants? Why?

Offline NavyCanDo

A surgeon in charge of HUD is speaking about immigrants? Why?

Try reading the story. Its about the American Dream, freedom and oportunity.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

geronl

their village was attacked by another tribe, they were marched to the coast and sold to white people (alien to them) and then stuffed into ships under horrible conditions for a long voyage.

I really doubt they were having a lot of dreams about how wonderful America will be

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
their village was attacked by another tribe, they were marched to the coast and sold to white people (alien to them) and then stuffed into ships under horrible conditions for a long voyage.

I really doubt they were having a lot of dreams about how wonderful America will be
Once they got here I doubt they were not. How could they look around and not have dreams of the freedom to make their own way? Right there is the essence of "The American Dream".
What American does not dream of the freedom to live without Masters and overseers demanding we live a certain way? (Only now, the 'masters and overseers' are government.)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil

I really liked Ben Carson but he has said some stupid things along the way.  He is a very smart man.  I hope he does well in his position.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline corbe

I really liked Ben Carson but he has said some stupid things along the way.  He is a very smart man.  I hope he does well in his position.

Your too kind @Chosen Daughter 
   Dr. Ben Carson, the brilliant pediatric surgeon, has meet his Peter Principle after all.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Frank Cannon

Actor Samuel L. Jackson blasted Carson on Twitter,

Oh. The guy who sells credit cards to poor people is outraged. I better get outraged too. Harrumph.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

That's a totally absurd suggestions.  Some people here don't want to know the whole story, it's easier just to make hay on the headline.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
ad nau·se·am

/ad ˈnôzēəm/

adverb

adverb: ad nauseam

referring to something that has been done or repeated so often that it has become annoying or tiresome.

AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

'A land of dreams and opportunity. There were other immigrants who came here in the bottom of slave ships, worked even longer, even harder for less.'

'But they, too, had a dream that one day their sons, daughters, grandsons, granddaughters, great grandsons, great granddaughters might pursue prosperity and happiness in this land.'

I'll give that a shot.  Speaking as a very pale white guy, I'm guessing some slaves had nightmares that their children, sisters, wives, and mothers would be raped by her owners and more nightmares that sons, brothers, and fathers would become expensive, but sickeningly legal, entertainment or motivational lessons for the other slaves.  Maybe those hopes of a bright future were not realistic.  Perhaps those nightmares persisted to multiple generation.

Oh crap...am I virtue signaling again?  What I meant to say is "Great Job Ben.  You, and your magic belt buckle, are in touch with the soul of your people. 
Very impressive sound bite. :patriot: You should talk more about the grain storing pyramids.  I like that story best."

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

"Slaves came here as involuntary immigrants but they still had the strength to hold on.”
http://www.redstate.com/sweetie15/2017/03/06/immigrants-meant-involuntary-immigrants-dr.-carson-doubles/

Are we paying full price for this secretary?

Offline mrclose

Your too kind @Chosen Daughter 
   Dr. Ben Carson, the brilliant pediatric surgeon, has meet his Peter Principle after all.

neurosurgeon
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline goatprairie

Yes, but that wasn't the point of his speech. During or after the war Lincoln asked black representatives whether they'd like to go back to Africa.  They were pointedly against going back.
Many people from the British Isles, all white, were transported to other countries (Australia, West Indies) for criminal activity.   Their descendants stayed in their new countries. I've read where some Australians are somewhat proud of the convict background of many Aussies...but you might have to ask an actual Aussie to affirm that.
Carson was saying (clumsily) that America is a country of hopes and dreams for the people who came here no matter under what condition.
Even many of the slaves had dreams of being free and living like other Americans. 
What does it matter how your ancestors got here?  Carson was trying to say America is still the land of opportunity. And he's right.

Ever read about those who came here as indentured servants?  For the most part, they were whites paying off debt or convicts.  They were so many that they formed a majority of people in some areas of the colonies.

For the most part, am sure that that long voyage stuffed into the holds of ships and forced labor when they got to US did not enamor them to life here either.

You really need to read what Carson actually said rather than the headlines.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Victoria33

@Weird Tolkienish Figure

They were captured, put in hold of ships, those who died and were thrown overboard, sold in this country, and belonged to their owners.  No way were they immigrants.  He was not thinking to have said they were.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

@Weird Tolkienish Figure

They were captured, put in hold of ships, those who died and were thrown overboard, sold in this country, and belonged to their owners.  No way were they immigrants.  He was not thinking to have said they were.
Slowly read the word 'immigrant'.  It contains 'migrant'.  It says nothing about voluntary or involuntary.  You are corrupting a word by an insinuation it does.

A kid taken into a new country bu his parent is not doing it voluntarily either.  Is he not an immigrant either?