Author Topic: 3 Reasons Why the 1911 Pistol Continues to Endure  (Read 12171 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: 3 Reasons Why the 1911 Pistol Continues to Endure
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2017, 12:17:54 am »
The Most Popular IDPA Pistols
The IDPA surveyed nearly 335 competitors to determine the most popular pistols used in each division.
By Robert A. Sadowski on September 26, 2014

http://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2014/09/popular-pistols-used-idpa-shooters/

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2017, 08:37:57 pm »
@Maj. Bill Martin

Couple thoughts on this...

There is a civilian in my unit that custom builds 1911's...can't stand polymer guns because...in his words "the 1911 has a soul...those plastic guns don't"

So he sees it from that "fond romantic" viewpoint that you speak of.

I have to admit from a design standpoint there is a beauty to the gun that few others possess. My best friend feels the SP101 is a beautiful gun where I see it simply as a very well made small frame revolver.  SO I guess in that sense beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

My own thoughts on the gun and why it's so popular 106 years after Mr. Browning and Colt made the first one...it's durable...one of those guns that you can drag it through the mud...dunk it in water an it will still spit .45 ACP all day long.  The controls are simple and well placed and it's not a hard gun to operate for new shooters.

As for getting them in different calibers...I think that has to do with muscle memory for shooters that don't want to learn new controls or grip positions etc. just because they also what to shoot 9mm or .22 LR.  Your hands and where/how you aim will fall pretty much into he exact same place on a 9mm Model 1911 as they do on one chambered for .45 and that IMO translates into more accurate and more enjoyable shooting.

Its like how someone who shoots an M16 or M4 can walk into any gun store pick up an AR 15 and everything just falls right into place. (at least for me it's like this).

I basically agree with all that -- I was being a bit of a shit-stirrer because, well, what's the fun in talking about guns if everyone agrees?    Obviously, a large part of the appeal boils down to people liking the gun simply because of the history associated with it.  I personally just find it odd that so many manufacturers make 1911-style pistols rather than actually trying to make something new.  After all, the only reason the 1911 came about in the first place was because someone determined that a better gun could be made.

My admitted bias is the opposite.  I was issued one of those clunkers in the early 80's.  It rattled, and I thought the ergonomics were poor.  Then we got the Berettas, with which I was much more accurate.  And since then, I've tried a variety of guns trying to find the best combinations of ergonomics, durability, and accuracy.  And I keep trying them because, to be honest, they keep improving.  I'm currently involved romantically with my Walther PPQ, but hey, I'm always keeping my eyes open!

And I know exactly what you mean about the AR's.  There may well be better designs out there, but familiarity counts for a whole lot.  Which was kind of my point with the 1911 -- the thing hasn't been a designated service weapon for more than 3 decades, so having young guys lapping them up just seems strange.  I mean, I'd understand buying an old 1911, for the same reasons you'd by a Garand or other historically-significant weapon.  But buying a modern "1911-style" gun, that really has no history associated with, puzzles me a bit.
@txradioguy

« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 08:41:00 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline thackney

« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2017, 01:53:07 pm »
I personally just find it odd that so many manufacturers make 1911-style pistols rather than actually trying to make something new.  After all, the only reason the 1911 came about in the first place was because someone determined that a better gun could be made.

Making them is not odd, they sell.  That is why they make guns.

I mean, I'd understand buying an old 1911, for the same reasons you'd by a Garand or other historically-significant weapon.  But buying a modern "1911-style" gun, that really has no history associated with, puzzles me a bit.

That would be the odd part.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2017, 02:57:52 pm »
How do you define a classic?  How do you make a classic?  A classic car? A classic recording? Movie?  The 1911 is a legend, a classic. I don't own mine because of it's utility.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 02:59:25 pm by Lando Lincoln »
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2017, 04:44:38 pm »
My first handgun was the Ruger standard auto. I liked it a lot. Then while in the service I purchased a Ruger Single Six and a S&W Model 36, 3in bbl. I had picked up a book on area aiming, so that was the technique that my roommate and I utilized in our practice sessions. I was stationed in Pensacola and we either shot in the many tree farms or sand pits. I most exclusively shot single action. I expected triggers to be light, minimum travel and clean breaking. I shot a 1911 and a HI power friends had, but was not impressed the the accuracy of the 2 guns I shot. In college I took a “Problem Analysis and Decision Making Course”. One day a week was lecture. One day was pistol marksmanship. We shot High Standard Supermatics. I’ve wanted a High Standard ever since. Then I got to shoot a friend’s Colt Gold Cup. I was highly impressed. Very accurate and it had a great trigger. I’d love one , but I’m too cheap to buy one. My problem is I’ll buy several inexpensive items that it total cost more that the expensive one. Now my Son doesn’t have that problem. I’ve shot his FNs, SIGs and CZs. I really liked shooting his CZ75 so I picked up a LOE trade-in(remember I’m cheap). It has a light single action trigger pull. I just have to get used to its travel. I’m trying to unlearn my tendency to be a bullseye shooter and try to become more of a Practical Pistol Shooter. My carry gun currently is the  pipsqueak Kel tec P32. Because its small, but I Hate the DAO trigger. I also have LOE trade-in CZ70 and CZ83. I think I’ll start carrying one of those, or the CZ75.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2017, 04:58:30 pm »
I like and own and have other handguns,but unless I am going out in the woods where I might meet a grizzly,one 1911A1 version or another is what I carry if I suspect there is any chance of running into a social disturbance.

I no longer live in a large city so I carry my 5 shot 44 Special revolver with a bobbed hammer spur,no sights,and a 3 inch barrel for local trips because it fits nicely in my pocket,and because 5 rounds is plenty for local social situations. I don't bother carrying reloads,either. By the time I have shot 5 times there is going to be at least 3 or 4 guns laying around already loaded that nobody is using,so I won't need reloads.

If going to a major city chances are I will be carrying one of my 1911's and a spare loaded magazine,though.

I remember stopping to refuel my truck in Atlanta  one night a few years ago. Not a white face in sight,but there were several teens on bicycles hanging around a bank of payphones,and the clerk was sitting behind bulletproof glass. I could see the locals eyeing me and trying to figure out if I am a cop decoy sent out to try to bust them for attempted armed robbery,or a stupid cracka vic-tum they could  rob and attack .For wahtever reason they decided to not take a chance,so I finished fueling up and hit the road again. No way I was even going to leave my truck alone to go try to buy a soft drink or bag of potato chips with that crowd of Dindu Nuffins hanging around.

I don't mind telling you I was wishing I had a 30 cal belt-fed of one type or another. Or at least a SAW or RPD.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2017, 05:00:21 pm »
I don't know about that. I have something from 1947 that does that better....

@Frank Cannon

No,it doesn't. The round the AK fires makes it a mouse gun compared to the .303 British round the Lewis fires.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2017, 05:02:26 pm »
@txradioguy
Now see, I have a Rockwell 1911 .45ACP - I didn't know they come in a 22LR. That s exactly what I am looking for. I am gonna head over to Rockwell to see if they have one.

@Wingnut

edit: Sheesh! Rock Island... What was I thinkin?

@roamer_1

I don't know about Rock Island,but Colt was making 22LR conversion kits for 1911's since at least the 1930's. IF they still make them,it has to be a lot cheaper than buying a complete new handgun.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2017, 05:06:53 pm »
I kinda like my 1928 designed M1 Garand

or my 1941 designed M1 Carbine

Or my 49/56 French Surrender weapon

@Elderberry

Oh yeah,on the Garand! One of the finest pieces of engineering that has ever hit a battlefield.

The M-1 carbine is next door to useless. I personally know a man that was shot in the back 4 times with one while he stood at a sink shaving,and he strangled the shooter to death and walked to the dispensary. Yeah,a lung collapsed once he got there and he probably would have died if it hadn't been close,but the lesson to learn here is he strangled the shooter to death and walked away. OK for head shots,but not for torso.

Never shot or handled the French rifle. IF it's the 8mm Lebel it would be ok if it didn't jam after the first shot.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2017, 06:17:09 pm »

Never shot or handled the French rifle. IF it's the 8mm Lebel it would be ok if it didn't jam after the first shot.

Not a Lebel. I had a Berthier M1916 Carbine that shot the Lebel.

I was looking for a FN-49 when I found the MAS 49/59 for some $250. I am please with its accuracy and it has never jammed for me. I just have to look out for corrosive surplus ammo. But new ammo is not a problem. It gained a bad reputation from Century Arms butchering them in their conversion to .308.

The MAS-49/56 is a semi-automatic gas-operated shoulder-fired main battle rifle chambered for the 7.5 x 54 French caliber. The MAS-49 was formally adopted by the French Army in July 1949. [Example below] The MAS 49/56 is an upgraded version that entered in service in…  you guessed it …  1956. The major improvements (shorter barrel, shorter fore-end, grenade launching capability) were a direct result of feedback from troops fighting in Algeria and Vietnam (i.e. the First Indochina War against the Viet Minh).

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/08/joe-grine/gun-review-mas-4956-fusil-semi-automatique-modele-1949-1956/

http://www.virdea.net/french/mas-auto.html

@sneakypete
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 06:28:55 pm by Elderberry »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2017, 06:59:43 pm »

I was looking for a FN-49 when I found the MAS 49/59 for some $250.

Looks like a good buy for what is a rare military rifle here. Probably everywhere these days.

I am please with its accuracy and it has never jammed for me. I just have to look out for corrosive surplus ammo.

That used to be a problem with Garands too,but Clinton took care of that by dumping all the surplus 30-06 in the Atlantic,and banning the importation of it into the US. If you want to shoot a Garand anymore,you had better reload or be rich.

But new ammo is not a problem.

That's a surprise. Where does it come from?

The MAS-49/56 is a semi-automatic gas-operated shoulder-fired main battle rifle chambered for the 7.5 x 54 French caliber. The MAS-49 was formally adopted by the French Army in July 1949. [Example below] The MAS 49/56 is an upgraded version that entered in service in…  you guessed it …  1956. The major improvements (shorter barrel, shorter fore-end, grenade launching capability) were a direct result of feedback from troops fighting in Algeria and Vietnam (i.e. the First Indochina War against the Viet Minh).

Do you reload for it Commercial ammo has to be pricey. What kind of bullet selection is available?

BTW,if you ever get your hands on some "mad money" you don't have to spend on necessities,you might want to invest in a FN-FAL. They are a lot pricier than they used to be back when the parts kits were coming in and you could buy a new semi-auto receiver and bolt one together,but it is one MIGHTY fine rifle.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 07:03:04 pm by sneakypete »

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2017, 08:31:52 pm »

Looks like a good buy for what is a rare military rifle here. Probably everywhere these days.

Not as common as they once were. Prices have gone up to the $500-$700 range.

That used to be a problem with Garands too,but Clinton took care of that by dumping all the surplus 30-06 in the Atlantic,and banning the importation of it into the US. If you want to shoot a Garand anymore,you had better reload or be rich.
I bought a lot of surplus 30-06 from http://www.ammogarand.com/ and a case of Hornady Match from CMP. pricey though.

That's a surprise. Where does it come from?

Priv Partisan  $15-16 a box.

Do you reload for it Commercial ammo has to be pricey. What kind of bullet selection is available?

It shoots a .308 bullet, the Partisan is 139gr, I reload mostly. You can now find cases, but I started out using 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser brass. And CCI -M34 primers are a must to prevent slam fires.

BTW,if you ever get your hands on some "mad money" you don't have to spend on necessities,you might want to invest in a FN-FAL. They are a lot pricier than they used to be back when the parts kits were coming in and you could buy a new semi-auto receiver and bolt one together,but it is one MIGHTY fine rifle.

My Son has one, its nice. But what I'd really like is his .308 SCAR.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2017, 09:29:14 pm »

It shoots a .308 bullet,

I thought it was a 7.5MM?  Has it been rebarreled?

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2017, 09:53:16 pm »

I thought it was a 7.5MM?  Has it been rebarreled?

That's just what they call it.  Bullet dia is .3075. .308 works fine. I think 7.5mm describes the bore dia. Not the groove dia.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2017, 11:35:58 pm »
My first handgun was the Ruger standard auto. I liked it a lot. Then while in the service I purchased a Ruger Single Six and a S&W Model 36, 3in bbl. I had picked up a book on area aiming, so that was the technique that my roommate and I utilized in our practice sessions. I was stationed in Pensacola and we either shot in the many tree farms or sand pits. I most exclusively shot single action. I expected triggers to be light, minimum travel and clean breaking. I shot a 1911 and a HI power friends had, but was not impressed the the accuracy of the 2 guns I shot. In college I took a “Problem Analysis and Decision Making Course”. One day a week was lecture. One day was pistol marksmanship. We shot High Standard Supermatics. I’ve wanted a High Standard ever since. Then I got to shoot a friend’s Colt Gold Cup. I was highly impressed. Very accurate and it had a great trigger. I’d love one , but I’m too cheap to buy one. My problem is I’ll buy several inexpensive items that it total cost more that the expensive one. Now my Son doesn’t have that problem. I’ve shot his FNs, SIGs and CZs. I really liked shooting his CZ75 so I picked up a LOE trade-in(remember I’m cheap). It has a light single action trigger pull. I just have to get used to its travel. I’m trying to unlearn my tendency to be a bullseye shooter and try to become more of a Practical Pistol Shooter. My carry gun currently is the  pipsqueak Kel tec P32. Because its small, but I Hate the DAO trigger. I also have LOE trade-in CZ70 and CZ83. I think I’ll start carrying one of those, or the CZ75.

One of the gun stores I frequent has the CZ clone EAA Wittness for $299. Very tempting.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 11:36:47 pm by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2017, 12:22:14 am »
One of the gun stores I frequent has the CZ clone EAA Wittness for $299. Very tempting.

@txradioguy

Don't be tempted. If you do,you will once again have buyers remorse. Go ahead and buy what you want to start with and be done with it.

And you can't go wrong with a CZ. I've been lusting after the police model in 40 S&W for a few years now,but I already have a bunch of guns I never shoot anymore,so why spend the money on another one that is just going to sit in a drawer?

Not to mention "Why buy another caliber I don't  have so I have to buy new dies,new brass,and new bullets because nothing I already have will work with the new one.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2017, 12:36:03 am »

"Now, for the bad: Through independent, real-world research of my own on forums and message boards, I have heard quite a few negative things about the Witness line. Mainly, the larger caliber setups tend to crack at the frame or slide. However, most of the people who bought 9mm Witnesses report no problems, but the 10mm and .45 versions seem to let go easily. Just food for thought."

http://www.guns.com/review/review-of-the-clone-the-eaa-witness/

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2017, 12:39:49 am »
"Now, for the bad: Through independent, real-world research of my own on forums and message boards, I have heard quite a few negative things about the Witness line. Mainly, the larger caliber setups tend to crack at the frame or slide. However, most of the people who bought 9mm Witnesses report no problems, but the 10mm and .45 versions seem to let go easily. Just food for thought."

http://www.guns.com/review/review-of-the-clone-the-eaa-witness/

Yeah I read that review. The one I was looking at was 9mm.  Despite the price I think I'm crossing it off my next gun buy list.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online roamer_1

« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2017, 01:14:16 am »
@roamer_1

I don't know about Rock Island,but Colt was making 22LR conversion kits for 1911's since at least the 1930's. IF they still make them,it has to be a lot cheaper than buying a complete new handgun.

@sneakypete

Well, first off, the only NEW gun I have ever bought in my life is my current 45/70 carbine... and only two guns I have ever owned were purchased in a condition wherein I would have to fill out paperwork... I have been told to expect $200-$250 for a RIA 1911 22LR in fair condition on the used market... That's not significant. And I can get a 22LR revolver for way less than that.

The interesting conundrum is this(and why I am considering/desiring it): IF I go with a 1911  for the 22LR will I be able to cannibalize that gun to repair a damaged .45ACP 1911 in the woods?If I just get a conversion, that answer is necessarily no, as the conversion is going to contain only the parts that are different (which is why they are needed in a conversion) - I don't get to cannibalize in that case, and I am carrying no 'spare' parts beyond the small collection already present in my repair kit.

The other side of that is that the conversion is predictably a lighter carry.

But the next step in that thinking is this: The reason I pack that .45 is primarily last-gasp protection. If I am pulling that particular gun for it's primary purpose, It means I can't get to my 45/70, or it's already empty, and whatever the problem is is still coming, and by now it's damn close. 

My luck, being as it is, would necessitate that the next time I actually do need to pull that Rock Island, it will be in '22 mode', and I will inevitably be facing a wounded and very pissed off griz or moose. Predictably, at that point in my life, I will regret my decision to save a pound or two by settling for conversion on the fly... 10 .22 rounds in that scenario is of so little consequence that I would have to ponder whether it would be better to just throw the thing at it and go right to knife and hawk.  :shrug:

And before you accuse me of awful-izing, you must understand my particular supernatural ability to attract sh*t... It's what I do.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2017, 02:55:24 am »
@sneakypete

@roamer_1

But the next step in that thinking is this: The reason I pack that .45 is primarily last-gasp protection. If I am pulling that particular gun for it's primary purpose, It means I can't get to my 45/70, or it's already empty, and whatever the problem is is still coming, and by now it's damn close. 

My luck, being as it is, would necessitate that the next time I actually do need to pull that Rock Island, it will be in '22 mode', and I will inevitably be facing a wounded and very pissed off griz or moose.

Ok,you just changed the rules. I was thinking "self-defense against thin-skinned 2 legged animals". When you are talking animals like Moose and Bear,but NOT "squivel",you are suddenly talking 44 Magnum revolver with 240 grain hard cast solids and a 6 inch barrel. You ain't talking one of these down. When they come at you they are not half-stepping. They are coming in a rush so quick it will stop your heart. With attackers and conditions like this,you need the original point and click device,not something you might have to fumble with to get a safety released. MY choice would be a double action Ruger 44 Magnum with handloads.

If you can afford it and find one,I'd go for a .444 or 45/70 Marlin carbine in the short "trapper" version,and use the 44 mag revolver for backup. When dealing with a wounded bear,there is no such thing as "too much gun". If you can back off and call in artillery fire or helicopter gun ships,that would be the way to go.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 03:00:26 am by sneakypete »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2017, 05:28:57 am »
Ok,you just changed the rules. I was thinking "self-defense against thin-skinned 2 legged animals". When you are talking animals like Moose and Bear,but NOT "squivel",you are suddenly talking 44 Magnum revolver with 240 grain hard cast solids and a 6 inch barrel. You ain't talking one of these down. When they come at you they are not half-stepping. They are coming in a rush so quick it will stop your heart. With attackers and conditions like this,you need the original point and click device,not something you might have to fumble with to get a safety released. MY choice would be a double action Ruger 44 Magnum with handloads.

If you can afford it and find one,I'd go for a .444 or 45/70 Marlin carbine in the short "trapper" version,and use the 44 mag revolver for backup. When dealing with a wounded bear,there is no such thing as "too much gun". If you can back off and call in artillery fire or helicopter gun ships,that would be the way to go.

@sneakypete
Well, I see you understand my dilemma (hence my nearly made decision to carry a 22LR too, rather than conversion)... As to your further opinion, I'll begin with this:

I stepped on a wolverine.

I know that sounds unlikely, even impossible, but there it is. One moment I was innocently stepping over a log, wherein I felt an unexpected squish... And then, I was quite literally catapulted into a life-changing event of no small consequence...

To cut a long story short, my takeaway from that event left me with sure wisdom.

First, quick-draw artistry is vastly underrated. In an unexpected event, timing is measured in it's most fundamental increment.

Second: Getting that hogleg out and centered is greatly affected by surprise and environmental distractions... As if stepping on a wolverine is not altogether enough, someone seemingly right next to me was screaming like a little girl - Who ought to have her mouth washed out with soap.

Third: You must be able to shoot with your own poop in your eyes.

Fourth: Your opponent might not care whatsoever if he gets your poop in his eyes - He may well press on unaffected in any way.

And lastly (and to your point): One must be able to shoot accurately with one hand, between one;' legs, while performing a cartwheel over a log with one's other hand.

I had a 44mag. I've shot a 50 and a 45/70 pistol too. None of them can be managed with breathtaking accuracy one-handed.
The 44mag comes close, but too much time off target. And I will need that time. That time-off-target, dumping rounds in quick succession may well only be the difference of one shot (I'd say two), but I need that shot. It don't matter as much how many you got, but how many you can use.

If I am able to take stance and measure, I can shoot the 44 pretty well one handed, one-shot-at-a-time. But with a cowboy Colt 45, I can do so offhandedly, and repeatably, with very good accuracy, almost from the hip. Not quite as good with the 1911, but it is a new form factor for me, and I was better with it than the 44mag, right off the get go.

If it wasn't for the extra rounds and clips the 1911 provides, I would go back to wheel guns in a new york minute. But one way or the other, thank you very much, but I'll stay in 45.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 05:31:20 am by roamer_1 »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2017, 06:24:27 am »

And btw, that marlin 45/70 carbine is the one I have... i don't walk off into the deep woods without it.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2017, 12:49:37 pm »
And btw, that marlin 45/70 carbine is the one I have... i don't walk off into the deep woods without it.

A gift from the family, mine is the Henry. My son the Marlin. Each has its pluses. Both are good. He and I load our own.  We will each pop open a beer and start loading. About two hours later, the beer is warm and we have a pile of new, gleaming ammo. We generally load the 325 grain Hornady.  Gotta trim the cases, but it's worth it. Best father/son time there is.
John Steinbeck

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2017, 12:52:46 pm »

Do you scope yours?  I'm debating... and debating... and thinking about it. I have a Leupold ready to go.
John Steinbeck

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2017, 01:42:06 pm »
I have a Marlin 45-70 whose barrel is just shy of 22 in long. I put the Williams receiver peep sight on it as soon as I got it. I see Henry has gone thru some sight changes on their lever guns. On your Henry is the front sight mounted on the barrel band or dovetailed into the barrel. Does it have a peep sight? On the barrel or the receiver? Are you happy/confident with your groups using your sights? I am happy with mine just the way it is.  And it is constantly being borrowed out. I think a scope takes away from a lever gun.

I reload as well. I have been loading the 300 gr Hornady I don't even remember a 325gr Hornady. Is it new?