Author Topic: 3 Reasons Why the 1911 Pistol Continues to Endure  (Read 12170 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: 3 Reasons Why the 1911 Pistol Continues to Endure
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2017, 01:54:40 am »
I used to have High Standards..... :whistle:
I tried to shoot 'em all. Just too many of 'em.

Wingnut

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2017, 01:56:58 am »
I tried to shoot 'em all. Just too many of 'em.

Oh...We are still talking Guns then?   LOL   :smokin:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2017, 02:04:23 am »
Cool let me know how you like it. I'm a RIA fan. I've been very happy with the 1911 I bought from them. Probably gonna get their .38 special as a birthday present to myself.

I already like it. My RIA .45 is one of the best pistols I have ever owned. And that is no faint praise- I am partial to revolvers and have carried 45 Colt a good portion of my life, with a brief sojourn into 44mag.

My thought is toward ammo consolidation. I have tons of 22LR... my main purpose is for trap line dispatch, though a 22 is mighty handy in the woods anyway. I can probably bark a skwerl with that 45, but miss by a 1/2" and that squirrel is a fine red mist... Not so touchy with the 22... same with grouse and chinks.

I'd be happy with a 22 revolver in my bush kit, but that's pretty hard to find anymore used (in 22LR), I don't want to stock yet another caliber variant, and if it's RIA 1911, I am pretty sure quite a bit of it is swap-able, so I can cannibalize one for the other in a pinch. That's a win, all the way around.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2017, 02:21:50 am »
@roamer_1

RIA has three different 1911's in three different flavors of .22 IIRC.

The .22 LR .22 Magnum and their own creation the .22 TCM

Are U sure? All I saw was TCM.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2017, 02:24:50 am »
Are U sure? All I saw was TCM.

The XT-22 is their 1911 in .22lr and the same model is also available in .22 mag.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2017, 02:28:06 am »
The XT-22 is their 1911 in .22lr and the same model is also available in .22 mag.
I was looking for conversion kits. They only offer kits for the TCM.

Wingnut

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2017, 02:31:55 am »
Reading all this over the last couple of hours... I was looking at the Larger cal 1911's.   9 mil ammo is relatively inexpensive per shot.  Would anyone recommend a 1911 by a maker that chambers .9's (besides the Colt Defender.  I don't like that one)?  Maybe the Remington R1 Enhanced?

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2017, 02:36:19 am »
Reading all this over the last couple of hours... I was looking at the Larger cal 1911's.   9 mil ammo is relatively inexpensive per shot.  Would anyone recommend a 1911 by a maker that chambers .9's (besides the Colt Defender.  I don't like that one)?  Maybe the Remington R1 Enhanced?

Is price a limiting factor?
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2017, 02:40:47 am »
Dan Wesson...Kimber...Wilson Combat...Rock Island Armory...Springfield...all make 1911's chambered in 9mm.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2017, 02:41:30 am »
ROCK Standard FS - 9mm
MSRP $594

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2017, 02:42:59 am »
I was looking for conversion kits. They only offer kits for the TCM.

Ahhh ok gotcha.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2017, 02:53:32 am »
Does anyone know anyone that has used one of the MechTech uppers that converts a 1911 into a carbine?
They've always interested me.

http://mechtechsys.com/1911-carbine-conversion/

Wingnut

« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2017, 02:54:49 am »
Is price a limiting factor?

I have 500 squirreled away in my bike upgrade fund that I have no wanted must have upgrades at present. Might be able to beg the wife for a a c-note on credit......   So $650?   

Wingnut

« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2017, 02:57:16 am »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2017, 02:59:09 am »
I have 500 squirreled away in my bike upgrade fund that I have no wanted must have upgrades at present. Might be able to beg the wife for a a c-note on credit......   So $650?

Shoot, you coud dang near buy two of them for that if you went used (person to person)... and no intrusive paperwork either...

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2017, 03:00:51 am »

https://www.tombstonetactical.com/catalog/rock-island/1911-a1-fs-pistol-9mm-5in-9rd-parkerized/

Rock Island Armory 51632 M1911 A1 FS Tactical Pistol 9mm 5in 9rd Parkerized

$468.42

Wingnut

« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2017, 03:07:11 am »
Shoot, you coud dang near buy two of them for that if you went used (person to person)... and no intrusive paperwork either...

LOL   And that is an option when I figure out what direction I plan to go.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2017, 03:29:43 am »
LOL   And that is an option when I figure out what direction I plan to go.

I paid 300 for mine with 4clips full of ammo and two untouched boxes of cartridges. And to judge by the wear in the pan and the barrel, it is in near pristine condition. The blue was worn off of it on 1 side from sliding around in a drawer or something... I traded making some oilcloth out of a canvas for my gunsmith, and he went through it and fixed it right up.

And the funny part was, a guy the owner knew owed me money, and he bought that guy's bill in direct trade for the gun (not intended, turned out to be the same money straight across) So I didn't even really lay down for it...

AND And and... I was making oil cloth anyway, half of which was for another guy who bought all the fixins (and the canvas) for the make, and way too much at that.

So basically, I sold the flag on a deal I wasn't going to be able to collect, dragged about a 10'x75' total canvas through a tub of oil, and walked away pat, with all that hardware, a 10x10 oil skin, and almost 5 gallons of oil left over...

Sometimes a plan just comes together.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2017, 07:53:03 pm »
Okay, I'll be the first one to poop on this article, probably the last one as well given the preceding comments by other gun guys.  But "into the breach", as they say....

The article doesn't actually describe any particular virtues of the 1911 design.  It basically says "lot of people use them because....lots of people used them!", which doesn't seem to say much.

The article also talks about its ability to be designed for different calibers as apparently being some kind of virtue.  But why?  It's not as though you have the exact same gun and are able to switch out chambering at your leisure.  You have to buy a new gun for each different caliber you want to shoot.  The fact that you can buy a 1911 in .22 caliber doesn't make your 9mm 1911 any better of a gun.  Each should be looked at on its own merits, and compared to other guns in the same caliber. 

I've got a Walther PPQ, and it too can come in a .45 ACP, .22, and .40 models.  But that ability to make the gun in different calibers doesn't make each individual gun any better.  So why is the 1911 design itself, as an individual gun, worthy of enduring other than for fond, romantic notions of historical usage?

Offline skeeter

« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2017, 08:07:32 pm »
Okay, I'll be the first one to poop on this article, probably the last one as well given the preceding comments by other gun guys.  But "into the breach", as they say....

The article doesn't actually describe any particular virtues of the 1911 design.  It basically says "lot of people use them because....lots of people used them!", which doesn't seem to say much.

The article also talks about its ability to be designed for different calibers as apparently being some kind of virtue.  But why?  It's not as though you have the exact same gun and are able to switch out chambering at your leisure.  You have to buy a new gun for each different caliber you want to shoot.  The fact that you can buy a 1911 in .22 caliber doesn't make your 9mm 1911 any better of a gun.  Each should be looked at on its own merits, and compared to other guns in the same caliber. 

I've got a Walther PPQ, and it too can come in a .45 ACP, .22, and .40 models.  But that ability to make the gun in different calibers doesn't make each individual gun any better.  So why is the 1911 design itself, as an individual gun, worthy of enduring other than for fond, romantic notions of historical usage?

True. No one buys a 1911 b cause it's a superior performer. Least myself or anyone I know. They buy it because, as you say, it's a 1911.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2017, 08:11:49 pm »
So why is the 1911 design itself, as an individual gun, worthy of enduring other than for fond, romantic notions of historical usage?

@Maj. Bill Martin

Couple thoughts on this...

There is a civilian in my unit that custom builds 1911's...can't stand polymer guns because...in his words "the 1911 has a soul...those plastic guns don't"

So he sees it from that "fond romantic" viewpoint that you speak of.

I have to admit from a design standpoint there is a beauty to the gun that few others possess. My best friend feels the SP101 is a beautiful gun where I see it simply as a very well made small frame revolver.  SO I guess in that sense beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

My own thoughts on the gun and why it's so popular 106 years after Mr. Browning and Colt made the first one...it's durable...one of those guns that you can drag it through the mud...dunk it in water an it will still spit .45 ACP all day long.  The controls are simple and well placed and it's not a hard gun to operate for new shooters.

As for getting them in different calibers...I think that has to do with muscle memory for shooters that don't want to learn new controls or grip positions etc. just because they also what to shoot 9mm or .22 LR.  Your hands and where/how you aim will fall pretty much into he exact same place on a 9mm Model 1911 as they do on one chambered for .45 and that IMO translates into more accurate and more enjoyable shooting.

Its like how someone who shoots an M16 or M4 can walk into any gun store pick up an AR 15 and everything just falls right into place. (at least for me it's like this).

Wingnut

« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2017, 08:35:55 pm »
https://www.tombstonetactical.com/catalog/rock-island/1911-a1-fs-pistol-9mm-5in-9rd-parkerized/

Rock Island Armory 51632 M1911 A1 FS Tactical Pistol 9mm 5in 9rd Parkerized

$468.42

I was digging deeper into the RIA 1911's and found this neet one.   .22LR with a 9MM conversion!

http://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2016/12/top-11-1911-handguns-2016/#rock-island-armory-tcm-combo

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2017, 10:18:37 pm »
I was digging deeper into the RIA 1911's and found this neet one.   .22LR with a 9MM conversion!

http://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2016/12/top-11-1911-handguns-2016/#rock-island-armory-tcm-combo

The TCM is NOT a .22LR

Wingnut

« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2017, 10:31:00 pm »
Oh well.   Sexy little crossdresser tho.