Author Topic: Newsmax CEO: Trump vows he'll be 'proven right' on wiretaps  (Read 2508 times)

Online corbe

Re: Newsmax CEO: Trump vows he'll be 'proven right' on wiretaps
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2017, 05:35:13 pm »
Gowdy: No evidence that Obama wiretapped Trump

By Olivia Beaver - 03/06/17 12:01 PM EST

Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.) said Monday he’s seen no evidence to support President Trump’s claim that former President Barack Obama wiretapped his office during the presidential race.

“I don't think the FBI is the Obama team, and I don't think the men and women who are career prosecutors at [the Department of Justice] belong to any team other than a blindfolded woman holding a pair of scales,” Gowdy told Politico, referencing the Greek goddess Themis, who represents justice and trust.

Trump accused the Obama administration of wiretapping Trump Tower while he was still a candidate, calling it a "Nixon/Watergate" scandal on Twitter.

Trump aides such as Kellyanne Conway argue the president has classified information at his disposal, but so far, there is no public evidence to support Trump’s claim. An Obama spokesman denied Trump’s accusation.
“We have the tools to keep us safe and it's prudent for those tools to be used lawfully and appropriately,” Gowdy told Politico.

“If they're not used lawfully and appropriately, there's a paper trail and we'll be able to find it out,” he added.

<..snip..>

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/322489-gowdy-no-evidence-that-obama-wiretapped-trump

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2017, 05:40:04 pm »
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2017, 05:49:16 pm »
Not really.

FISA is limited in scope as to whom they can tap why and when they can do it as well...all of us on various forums hashed this out back when the left went ape sh*t over W wiretapping foreign terrorists phone calls into the U.S. 

Remember the taps were on foreign phones trying to find out who the terrorists in Afghanistan and other places were talking to in the states.

If there was a legal wiretap on a Russian phone line or if one of our bugs in the Russian embassy recorded the conversation...then Trump's phones and Trump Tower wasn't bugged.  The Russians were.

Again does anyone ever stop to think we're being distracted by a shiny object so we don't notice the real issue here?

Consider the matter of "reverse targeting"

https://www.justice.gov/archive/ll/paa-dispelling-myths.html

If it is as I am understanding you say, that the info collected happened in the course of legit surveillance of the Russians, then as soon as Trump or his associates were heard, short of  their discussing criminal acts, the data should  have been immediately destroyed, not archived for future use.

From link above:

3. MYTH: The Protect America Act allows the government to target Americans in the United States under the guise of surveilling a person located overseas – a practice known as "reverse targeting."

FACT: "Reverse targeting" was, and remains, prohibited by law.

FACT: The provisions of FISA that protect against this practice remain unchanged by the Protect America Act.  The law excludes from the category of "electronic surveillance," and thus from the FISA warrant requirement, only surveillance directed at individuals reasonably believed to be in foreign countries.

FACT: "Reverse targeting" constitutes electronic surveillance and thus generally requires a court order under FISA.  Nothing in the Protect America Act changes this.

FACT: "Reverse targeting" makes little sense as a matter of intelligence tradecraft.  If the government believes a person in the United States is a terrorist, it is more useful to obtain a court order to collect all of the person's communications than to conduct surveillance on that person by listening only to a fragment of the person's calls to individuals overseas.

-----------------------------------

And you can call it a "shiny object" all you want, that's an opinion. Did you think that the outcry over the IRS targeting conservative groups was a "shiny object"?

I have seen nothing in the reporting on this that any criminal wrongdoing was revealed; to the  contrary, all the reporting I have read say there is / was NONE. But it's suitable fodder for innuendo and witch hunts.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2017, 05:53:20 pm »

They are out in the open unofficially.   Presumably it is only a matter of course before their status is officially acknowledged.  I am operating on the premise that they are real,  and if it should turn out that this leaked information is incorrect,  I will revise my opinion.

Perhaps I am prejudiced against Obama,   but this business sounds exactly like the sort of behavior in which this gutter-snake engages.  We have plenty of examples of his abuse of government power,  so as a matter of history,  we know he has no opposing principles against abuse of government for political gain.

Exactly. And  is a wonderment to me how quickly some people want to consign his actions to the Memory Hole.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2017, 05:57:37 pm »
If it is as I am understanding you say, that the info collected happened in the course of legit surveillance of the Russians, then as soon as Trump or his associates were heard, short of  their discussing criminal acts, the data should  have been immediately destroyed, not archived for future use.

That would be true IF Trump was the target.  What I'm saying is that he wasn't the target...the Russians were...Trump...before he was President...hell lets go back to even before he was a candidate...is on those tapes...then there is nothing illegal about it...there was no reverse targeting...no need to destroy the tapes. 

The NSA just...for lack of a better term...lucked into DJT's conversations with the Russians.  If that's the case then there is nothing illegal about what was done.

And all of this bluster on the part of the President is just a smokescreen to hide what he did.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!