Author Topic: Top Bush ethics lawyer: Russia could have blackmail on Sessions, and he must resign  (Read 1537 times)

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
 President George W. Bush's top ethics lawyer told Business Insider on Thursday that while it was "debatable" whether Attorney General Jeff Sessions perjured himself during his Senate confirmation hearing, he must resign.

Richard Painter, a professor at the University of Minnesota Law School who was the chief White House ethics lawyer from 2005 to 2007, added the latest Russia-related White House firestorm could leave Sessions open to the risk of "blackmailing."

"The thing with Sessions is that the Russians almost certainly have a recording of these conversations or detailed notes about the conversations," he said.

Painter continued: "And so, they've got something over Sessions. Sessions will be asked what was said in these conversations. And if that doesn't match what the Russians have in their records ... then they've got him, and they have this over him for the rest of his term. We have no idea of knowing whether we're in that situation, but it's just way too high a risk."

With what is now known about Sessions' conversations with Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak, Painter said he doesn't think the attorney general "could effectively run that department." 

http://www.businessinsider.com/bush-ethics-lawyer-painter-jeff-sessions-perjury-resign-2017-3
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online dfwgator

Oh, whatever.

This is a big bag of nothing.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Oh, whatever.

This is a big bag of nothing.

It's a bug hunt.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline American Faith Today

I don't think Trump and Russia is a "big bag of nothing" and if he were a Democrat or Hillary, or Obama, probably no one here would either.

However, I tend to think Sessions isn't compromised and didn't do anything out of line.

But that's just my opinion.  There's so little truth in media or government these days, I could even be wrong on that.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
Release the transcripts.

Get real about how American and Russian interests align.

Online dfwgator

And monkeys COULD fly out of my butt.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
I don't think Trump and Russia is a "big bag of nothing" and if he were a Democrat or Hillary, or Obama, probably no one here would either.

However, I tend to think Sessions isn't compromised and didn't do anything out of line.

But that's just my opinion.  There's so little truth in media or government these days, I could even be wrong on that.

What is the real root of all this Russophobia? Are we still haunted by Khrushchev banging his shoe at the UN?

Offline MajorClay

I call BS

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
It's quite clear that the dims are going all in on it!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
As if we needed any more evidence of the fact that the GOP and the Democrats are a uniparty Oligarchy.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
These folks are going to lose their shirts. They don't have any cards, we know they don't have any cards, and Trump and Session know the liberals don't have the cards. Yet they keep upping the ante. Deuce high ain't going to win this one. I suggest the Republicans begin calling the democrat tactics McCarthyism.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
These folks are going to lose their shirts. They don't have any cards, we know they don't have any cards, and Trump and Session know the liberals don't have the cards. Yet they keep upping the ante. Deuce high ain't going to win this one. I suggest the Republicans begin calling the democrat tactics McCarthyism.

I'm thinking that the hammer will come down HARD soon!  Could be wrong but I have a feeling I'm not!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

Not so sure I agree with you, here.

1)  The Democrats feel that TRUMP 'squeezed' every possible vote out of the electorate.   There are no more voters out there that support him.   He's maxed out.

2)  OTOH, they feel that, with the help of the perverted media complex, a constant drum beat of scandal and calls for resignations...and as of late, even incarceration for Sessions, for example...will tap into the 'MILLIONS' of liberals that stayed home because they thought their vote wasn't necessary for Hillary to win the White House.

IOW....like the Japanese Admiral warned after their successful attack on Pearl Harbor...Donald Trump (media) has awakened a "Sleeping Giant", for 2018 and beyond.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
President George W. Bush's top ethics lawyer told Business Insider on Thursday that while it was "debatable" whether Attorney General Jeff Sessions perjured himself during his Senate confirmation hearing, he must resign.

Richard Painter, a professor at the University of Minnesota Law School who was the chief White House ethics lawyer from 2005 to 2007, added the latest Russia-related White House firestorm could leave Sessions open to the risk of "blackmailing."

"The thing with Sessions is that the Russians almost certainly have a recording of these conversations or detailed notes about the conversations," he said.

Painter continued: "And so, they've got something over Sessions. Sessions will be asked what was said in these conversations. And if that doesn't match what the Russians have in their records ... then they've got him, and they have this over him for the rest of his term. We have no idea of knowing whether we're in that situation, but it's just way too high a risk."

With what is now known about Sessions' conversations with Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak, Painter said he doesn't think the attorney general "could effectively run that department." 

http://www.businessinsider.com/bush-ethics-lawyer-painter-jeff-sessions-perjury-resign-2017-3

You lost me at 'professor' and White House ethics lawyer.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
Russia COULD have blackmail material on anyone.

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
You lost me at 'professor' and White House ethics lawyer.

:beer:

I smell an Ivy League rat.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
What is the real root of all this Russophobia?

Good question.  I agree with Trump - it would be a good thing to have better relations with Russia.   It may give us more leverage to address more immediate threats, like Iran.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Russia COULD have blackmail material on anyone.

So do the Clinton's and the Obama's.

FBI files anyone?

Not withstanding the ones Sandy (Burgler) Berger stuffed into his pants at the behest of Hillary and William Jefferson.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 09:12:41 pm by INVAR »
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
So do the Clinton's and the Obama's.

FBI files anyone?

Not withstanding the ones Sandy (Burgler) Berger stuffed into his pants at the behest of Hillary and William Jefferson.

Oh, my gosh.  That was such a fun event.  I guess it came to nothing but if Sandy is still alive, maybe we could dig it up to counter their next attack.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Oh, my gosh.  That was such a fun event.  I guess it came to nothing but if Sandy is still alive, maybe we could dig it up to counter their next attack.

He died years ago, IIRC.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Never mind.  He's dead.  So many people were willing to corrupt themselves and sell their souls for the Clinton's.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Bush and many in his administration have already outed themselves as NWO types...I should give this guy any credence why?
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Putin has to be LOL his butt off at the stupid Americans.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Good question.  I agree with Trump - it would be a good thing to have better relations with Russia.   It may give us more leverage to address more immediate threats, like Iran.

@Jazzhead @don-o

It really has nothing to do with Russia.  In this case Russia is just a convenient boogy man being used to play on peoples fears.  Bush is establishment and a globalist.   Trump appears to be a threat to those two elements which is why we see Bush speaking up for the first time in 8 years.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
@Jazzhead @don-o

It really has nothing to do with Russia.  In this case Russia is just a convenient boogy man being used to play on peoples fears.  Bush is establishment and a globalist.   Trump appears to be a threat to those two elements which is why we see Bush speaking up for the first time in 8 years.

I agree completely.