Author Topic: Ted Cruz: Sessions Meeting With Russian Ambassador A "Nothing Burger," What Senators Do Every Day  (Read 493 times)

Online libertybele

It seems that Cruz is the only one these days standing behind this administration ... where in the heck is GOP leadership in all this?

Ted Cruz: Sessions Meeting With Russian Ambassador A "Nothing Burger," What Senators Do Every Day

Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, discusses Jeff Sessions' meetings with a Russian ambassador, why calls for his recusal are political theater and why he says AG Sessions is a man of integrity.

SCARBOROUGH: Great to have you here. You are an attorney and certainly can read testimony. I was saying this morning that the Leahy question and answer wasn't as troubling because, of course, it was about the campaign.

Are you concerned, though, about the Al Franken questioning and answering, where Sessions seemed to volunteer that he had never spoken with any Russian officials?

CRUZ: You know, Joe, I’m not concerned about that. I think what we are seeing is a lot of political theater.

Could Jeff have been more clear in what he said?

Yes. I think it -- that was unfortunate. But I think context matters a lot. Jeff was being asked about the Trump campaign communicating with the Russians. I think he understood that he was answering in that capacity. And that is perfectly understandable.

And the reason I say it's political theater is the underlying meeting, you know, this morning, everyone is in high dungeon about the meeting. The underlying meeting is a nothing burger. It's what senators do every day, meeting with foreign ambassadors; that's part of the job.

And Jeff is a -- was a very hard-working senator; he will be a hard-working attorney general. And so I think everyone is getting all worked up because it's a chance to beat up the attorney general and beat up the president. But I think the underlying meeting is simply doing his job...

And, by the way, Jeff has been a serious critic of Russia. He's not been shy calling out Putin. So the notion that there was something somehow wrong with a senior senator on the Armed Services Committee meeting with a foreign ambassador, I think that's a nothing burger.

And the testimony Jeff should have been more clear. I think he said that he wished he was more clear. But, at the end of the day, I don’t think that there's any there there.

GEIST: So do you -- you've said repeatedly now that the meeting that Senator Sessions had with the Russian ambassador is a, quote, "nothing burger."

Do you have information, Senator, about what they talked about in that meeting?

How do you know it's a nothing burger?

CRUZ: I know that meeting with a foreign ambassador is part of the routine responsibilities of serving in the Senate. I have no idea what was talked about in that meeting or any other meeting that -- you know, my understanding is Jeff met with 25 different ambassadors last year. And I don’t know what was discussed in those meetings.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online DB

It would have been nice if Sessions just had said as much when asked...

Offline LonestarDream

(?) Trump Realist    (*) Trump believer   (?) Never Trump,   Which are you ?

Online libertybele

It would have been nice if Sessions just had said as much when asked...

It would be nice if President Trump would be given the respect and honor of being our President. It would be nice if he be allowed to nominate his cabinet without members being dismantled until they have their hands tied or are forced to step down. I don't ever recall ANY president or cabinet being treated so terribly.  The left has become unhinged and our leadership in Congress sits idly by and does absolutely nothing. The silence from the rest of Congress (other than Cruz) is downright deafening.  I can almost guarantee you had Hillary become president, and we maintained the majority ... our leadership in Congress and those in the chambers (other than Cruz)  would be sitting idly by and doing absolutely nothing as well.

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online DB

It would be nice if President Trump would be given the respect and honor of being our President. It would be nice if he be allowed to nominate his cabinet without members being dismantled until they have their hands tied or are forced to step down. I don't ever recall ANY president or cabinet being treated so terribly.  The left has become unhinged and our leadership in Congress sits idly by and does absolutely nothing. The silence from the rest of Congress (other than Cruz) is downright deafening.  I can almost guarantee you had Hillary become president, and we maintained the majority ... our leadership in Congress and those in the chambers (other than Cruz)  would be sitting idly by and doing absolutely nothing as well.

It would be nice if he and his people didn't arm our enemies by saying stupid things. We know the left is going to jump at every opportunity. Don't give them the opportunity.

geronl

and lie about it

but then again Ted Cruz has become a leashed abused Trump puppy