Author Topic: Ted Cruz: Here’s how to repeal Obamacare  (Read 7968 times)

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Ted Cruz: Here’s how to repeal Obamacare
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2017, 03:07:10 pm »
The continuing belief by too many in society that others should not be forced to make choices to pay their own bills is the source of many problems in this country.

Yes! Yes! A thousand times YES! 

I made that bold and a lot bigger so those that need to see it can more easily do so! 

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline thackney

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2017, 03:54:01 pm »
Yes! Yes! A thousand times YES! 

I made that bold and a lot bigger so those that need to see it can more easily do so!

And I welcome any and all to make that into less cumbersome phrasing.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2017, 04:36:48 pm »
The GOP owns ObamaCare, like it or not.   The Dems may be salivating, knowing that it's our tar-baby.   But the reality is this - if the GOP repeals the ACA without replacing it,  it'll be tossed out on its ear in 2018.

That's why the most practical interim solution,  in the absence of consensus between conservative and moderate Republicans,  is to make a couple of simple fixes to the ACA that stop the death spiral and allow it to remain on life support.  To the extent that Trump can do so by regulation rather than relying on Congress, all the better.  In a nutshell - give insurance companies the flexibility to offer more choices to consumers in the individual marketplace, and allow large employers the option of sending their employees to the exchanges.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2017, 04:41:24 pm »
And I welcome any and all to make that into less cumbersome phrasing.
A new generation that wants all of the benefits without any of the responsibility.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline thackney

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2017, 04:44:02 pm »
A new generation that wants all of the benefits without any of the responsibility.

No, the problem isn't just with those that expect free stuff.  The problem now lies with too many others believing that is okay.  Expectations have become even lower due to continuing low expectations.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2017, 04:45:13 pm »
how about simply "Republicans" ?

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2017, 04:53:01 pm »
No, the problem isn't just with those that expect free stuff.  The problem now lies with too many others believing that is okay.  Expectations have become even lower due to continuing low expectations.

I think what you're are trying to get at here is the FACT that in this once great nation - that was built on the ideals of personal liberty and the consequent personal responsibility - has, for at least two human lifetimes now, largely abandoned those ideas!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2017, 04:58:28 pm »
The GOP owns ObamaCare, like it or not.   

Obummercare passed without a single Republican vote, yet the Republicans own it?  This is why people laugh at you, @Jazzhead.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2017, 04:59:26 pm »
Does anyone really give a spit about health savings accounts? Should they? Or is it a trick when we could just lower the income tax and say, "Now you have more money for health care if you need it. If you don't, go buy some new kicks."

It's not our job to make people save for health care.
Actually, after having investigated actual health CARE costs, versus the price of insurance, we opted for a high deductible health insurance plan and put the maximum away in the HSA. All small bills were paid out of the HSA, with untaxed dollars.  For someone self-employed, this was a godsend, because both insurance costs and the money paid to fill the gap was untaxed, and the HSA contribution took 3% off the overall tax rate one year to boot.
If we had paid out of pocket instead of routing the money through the HSA, we not only would have had to pay taxes on the money we bought health care with, but would have had to pay higher tax rates as well (at least in one year).

Now, thanks to the ACA, our doctor retired, the insurance carrier quit underwriting health care policies, and we pay out of pocket because we just can't afford (with a slowdown in my job sector) insurance (over 28K a year).

IMHO, all the money spent on medical costs should be tax free, from insurance payments to doctor visits, whatever.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2017, 05:08:55 pm »
Obummercare passed without a single Republican vote, yet the Republicans own it?  This is why people laugh at you, @Jazzhead.

I don't laugh at him but only because I no longer bother to read a thing he says!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2017, 05:12:14 pm »
bolo wrote:
"Does anyone really give a spit about health savings accounts? Should they?"

I don't see how anyone could believe that "health savings accounts" will make healthcare more "affordable" for more than a select few.

The vast -- the overwhelming -- majority of people don't put enough money into their -regular- savings accounts. Too many folks just don't have the cash to spare.

Where are they going to get -more- to set aside into health savings accounts that can only be used in sickness?

Yes, the option of health care savings accounts should be included for those few who might take advantage of them.

But to believe that this can be anything more than an insignificant appendage to a Republican "replacement for obamacare" -- is just, well, ridiculous.

Like the ACA made health insurance more affordable to a select few? (And UN affordable for many more)

Actual health care costs: (our family of 4, YMMV)  approx 8K/year.
High deductible health insurance for one (others "covered" by Indian Health) $6K. total 14K
Total: $16K, self employed.

Insurance on the COBRA plan from previous employer $22k/year.

Current high(er) deductible ACA insurance offering: $28K--deductible is nearly 3 times what the old plan was.

Savings on $7500 in HSA deposits in a year: Direct: $1875 reduction in taxes. Much more if that made the difference in tax brackets.
If you could have saved 12K in insurance costs a year, and carried the unspent money over every year (with interest), you would have had money left over. That was the choice we had made, until the ACA wrecked it.
The HSA option was a no-brainer.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2017, 05:15:26 pm »
I don't laugh at him but only because I no longer bother to read a thing he says!

I'm sure he's one of the most Ignored members of TBR.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2017, 05:17:37 pm »
The continuing belief by too many in society that others should not be forced to make choices to pay their own bills is the source of many problems in this country.

What is believed to be a basic necessity as a standard of living in the US would be a luxury item in most of the world.  It sends the country spiraling down the drain of debt.

That effort should be spent on making health care more affordable through reductions of regulations, tort reform and allowing people to choose more basic insurance, instead of forcing them to pay for coverage they do not want or can afford.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2017, 05:21:58 pm »
Considering other things he advocates, it's likely that he wants us to pick up the tab for the 1.3 million and growing group of people out there with HIV/AIDS who will cost over a trillion dollars in the next 25 years in medical costs, and who were likely difficult to get health insurance policies for in light of risky behaviours and pre-existing conditions.

Now you know why the premiums and deductibles are so high for mom and dad and their 2.3 kids...

C S Lewis

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2017, 05:30:26 pm »

I'm not saying it's fair, but it IS reality.   We control the Congress and the Presidency - if we let the ACA die on our watch, and offer nothing to the millions adversely affected,  then it's our doom.   

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2017, 05:30:40 pm »
Considering other things he advocates, it's likely that he wants us to pick up the tab for the 1.3 million and growing group of people out there with HIV/AIDS who will cost over a trillion dollars in the next 25 years in medical costs, and who were likely difficult to get health insurance policies for in light of risky behaviours and pre-existing conditions.

I'd bet real, foldin' money on that, Joe.  Health care is a right, not a privilege donchaknow.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2017, 05:31:27 pm »
I'm sure he's one of the most Ignored members of TBR.

And I swell with pride!   

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2017, 05:31:54 pm »
I'm not saying it's fair, but it IS reality.   We control the Congress and the Presidency - if we let the ACA die on our watch, and offer nothing to the millions adversely affected,  then it's our doom.

Knock off the "we," Lone Ranger.  You are in no organization to which I belong.  Now stop it, I'm starting to hurt a rib with all the laughing.
I will NOT comply.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2017, 05:32:26 pm »
And I swell with pride!

You are truly stupid if you think that's a prideful thing.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2017, 05:34:14 pm »
Knock off the "we," Lone Ranger.  You are in no organization to which I belong.  Now stop it, I'm starting to hurt a rib with all the laughing.

Unfortunately, we are both Republicans.  But you're welcome to leave the party.   

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2017, 05:38:50 pm »
You are truly stupid if you think that's a prideful thing.

To hell with the bigots who masquerade as conservatives.   We need to take the party back from these moral cretins.   

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2017, 05:40:08 pm »
Unfortunately, we are both Republicans.  But you're welcome to leave the party.

You assume a lot of facts not in evidence, Mr. Jazz.  Another reason to laugh at your visage.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2017, 05:45:27 pm »
You assume a lot of facts not in evidence, Mr. Jazz.  Another reason to laugh at your visage.

You're not a Republican?   Fantastic news - you've made my day.

Now go peddle your crap elsewhere.     

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2017, 06:15:10 pm »
You're not a Republican?   Fantastic news - you've made my day.

Now go peddle your crap elsewhere.   

Are you telling me to leave TBR?  Really? 
I will NOT comply.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2017, 06:16:05 pm »
And I swell with pride!
Okay Bob....

C S Lewis