Author Topic: Sorry Senator, You Can’t Call Sizzler Training a ‘Business Degree’  (Read 1071 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
An Iowa State Senator by the name of Mark Chelgren is pushing for the passage of a controversial bill that would limit the number of Democrats that local colleges can hire as teachers. While lobbying for this bill, Chelgren has talked about his negative experience with “liberal professors” during his university years. As of last week, Chelgren's biography on the Iowa State Republicans homepage listed a business degree from Forbco Management. But now, NBC News discovers that Forbco isn’t a college, but rather a company that ran a Los Angeles-area outpost of Sizzler....

http://www.eater.com/2017/3/2/14783726/state-senator-sizzler-mark-chelgren

Wingnut

His degree is in flipping burgers?

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
His degree is in flipping burgers?

Close. From the article:

He received training in the salad bar/grill chain’s operating procedures in “‘88 or ‘89,”

So it was in tossing salad.

geronl

Management classes probably

edit: A Salad Degree. lol.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 07:49:54 pm by geronl »

Wingnut

Close. From the article:

So it was in tossing salad.

Good Lord!   :silly: :silly:

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Never cared for Sizzler, personally. More of a ground round fan.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
They once gave me the rarest rawest piece of cow I've ever tried to eat. I make my own steaks now. The mark up is just too high at the restaurants.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

geronl

I don't think this is what they were referring to. :tongue2:

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
What always amazes me about stories like this is that it is often the people who live in the flimsiest of glass houses that run their yappers too much.  If I was in that position, I'd duck my head and try not to get noticed any time the subject came up.

Offline Night Hides Not

What always amazes me about stories like this is that it is often the people who live in the flimsiest of glass houses that run their yappers too much.  If I was in that position, I'd duck my head and try not to get noticed any time the subject came up.

I hear ya, Bill. I don't talk about my Masters degree often. I'm proud of it, considering I finished it while serving as a Battery Commander on Fort Bliss. OTOH, these classes weren't nearly as rigorous as those I took to get my BBA in Public Accounting at Gonzaga. The professors that Webster hired were accredited, of course, and a few taught at UTEP.

For the buck, one of the best classes I ever took was a Wine & Viticulture class at a local CC. Best $156 I ever spent. The tests were rather difficult, matching up wine regions around the world with their main varietal grape. I was in trouble when I mixed up Bordeaux with Burgundy.

I took the class for enjoyment, and to demonstrate to my kids that you never stop learning. For me, wine serves that purpose, because there is so much to learn. I wish I had studied the topic earlier.

I do have fond memories of my bachelorhood, though, when I'd order wine on my dates. The pre-entrée bottle was always from the Mosel, and my pronunciations were perfect...lol. Gave me a bit more confidence, to say the least, in a neutral setting.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.