Author Topic: Egypt appeals court acquits Mubarak over protester killings in 2011  (Read 940 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Egypt appeals court acquits Mubarak over protester killings in 2011

Mubarak had been sentenced to life in 2012, but an appeals court ordered a retrial and charges were dismissed in 2014

Egypt's top appeals court on Thursday acquitted ex-president Hosni Mubarak of involvement in the killing of protesters during the 2011 revolt that ended his three-decade rule, a judicial official said.

Continued: http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/breaking-egypt-appeals-court-acquits-mubarak-over-protester-killings-1330245004

Offline dfwgator

Re: Egypt appeals court acquits Mubarak over protester killings in 2011
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 03:57:28 pm »
Obama had him overthrown.  But I guess to Leftists sometimes foreign meddling isn't so bad.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 04:02:19 pm »
It might have been the thing to do back in 2011, even Glenn Beck's show went on about some young man tortured and beaten up. Such treatment by the police is not acceptable but one has to put it in perspective and I'm not necessarily faulting Beck here, a lot of people were saying, this Mubarak fellow needs to step down. Israel didn't get it though.  That whole thing was a bit of a disaster and Mubarak, Sadat's successor was not nearly as bad as what came after him.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 04:27:25 pm »

Mubarak was no angel but those he "oppressed" were overwhelmingly muslim Brotherhood types. However on balance I would have to say that Egypt is much better off today.

I had early misgivings about Al Sisi but he has proven himself in my eyes. After all, he was appointed by Morsi to head the military and was seen as friendly to the Muslim Brotherhood. Kinda funny that Al Sisi then used the position to take down Morsi AND the muslim Brotherhood. Clearly a brilliant and patient strategist.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 04:34:26 pm »
Mubarak was no angel but those he "oppressed" were overwhelmingly muslim Brotherhood types. However on balance I would have to say that Egypt is much better off today.

I had early misgivings about Al Sisi but he has proven himself in my eyes. After all, he was appointed by Morsi to head the military and was seen as friendly to the Muslim Brotherhood. Kinda funny that Al Sisi then used the position to take down Morsi AND the muslim Brotherhood. Clearly a brilliant and patient strategist.

Egypt got very very lucky.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 04:45:41 pm »
Egypt got very very lucky.

He grew up in a poor Cairo neighborhood with Christian neighbors and said he never forgot the brutality inflicted on them daily.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 05:23:15 pm »
Obama had him overthrown.  But I guess to Leftists sometimes foreign meddling isn't so bad.
Look at who replaced him. Hillary's gal-pal's mum was in the Muslim Sisterhood with Mursi's wife...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis