Author Topic: Space makes cameo appearance in Trump speech before Congress  (Read 1249 times)

Online kevindavis007

Space makes cameo appearance in Trump speech before Congress
« on: March 02, 2017, 01:05:54 am »

WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump made a fleeting reference to human spaceflight in a speech before a joint session of Congress Feb. 28, even as his administration develops a budget proposal that could slash funding for NASA.

“American footprints on distant worlds are not too big a dream,” Trump said near the end of the hour-long Joint Address, one of several achievements he said were possible by 2026, the 250th anniversary of the nation’s independence. The line was the only reference to space in the full speech, which devoted more attention to topics ranging from immigration to healthcare.

The space community was anticipating the possibility of a more detailed discussion of space in the speech. A report earlier in the day, citing an unnamed senior administration official, claimed that Trump would “call for the return of manned space exploration” in the speech.

The additional details may have been a victim of last-minute changes to the speech. Politico reported March 1, also citing an unnamed senior administration official, that a section on “NASA and space travel” was dropped from the speech in order to keep the speech from running over an hour.

The line that Trump did deliver about space in the speech was tweeted by NASA, but not with a problem. An initial version of the tweet included the statement “See what’s next for NASA:” with a link to a page on NASA’s website titled “What’s Next For NASA.” That page, though, is dated July 12, 2016, prior to the current administration. The agency deleted the tweet and reposted it without the link to the document.

The speech, formally known as a “Joint Address” rather than the “State of the Union” speech traditionally given annually by presidents after their first year in office, is not the first time Trump has made a passing reference to space. In his inaugural address Jan. 20, he said, “We stand at the birth of a new millennium, ready to unlock the mysteries of space.”

Read More: http://www.isn-news.net/2017/03/space-makes-cameo-appearance-in-trump.html
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: Space makes cameo appearance in Trump speech before Congress
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 01:16:16 am »
If they reclassify our moon as a planet we'll hve the interplanetary thing covered with the stroke of a pen.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 01:19:25 am »
If they reclassify our moon as a planet we'll hve the interplanetary thing covered with the stroke of a pen.

Why not.. Maybe the moon feels like a planet ;)
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 01:33:03 am »

Why not.. Maybe the moon feels like a planet ;)

Otherworldly.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

geronl

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 05:04:44 am »
nothing Trump says should be taken seriously

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 07:48:38 am »
I can buy it. Trump thinks big. Nothing much bigger than the universe.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink