Author Topic: President Trump: The Leader of the Post-Partisan America Party  (Read 3239 times)

Offline ckinv368

Last night, President Trump delivered a memorable speech to a joint session of Congress that even reluctant commentators compared to Reagan, and others said was one of the finest ever delivered.  Chris Wallace went so far as to say that "tonight, Donald Trump became President of the United States."  It was a fantastic speech.  One of the best--maybe the best--I've ever seen.  But, it wasn't a traditional Republican speech.  It was better.  It had a higher purpose than partisanship.  It came from a more egalitarian and justice-driven place.  Far from the "benefits for the rich, at the expense of the poor" mantle Republicans have unfairly been laden with for years, President Trump's speech was populist, even-handed, non-partisan, and, most of all, purely American. 

President Trump lead with a recognition that racism, antisemitism, and racial violence were a horrible blight on our society that must be eradicated.  Yet, he later balanced that with the call for all Americans to support our men and women in Blue--the brave police, sheriffs, and other officers that protect us all from the courser elements of our society.  He said the Country must "stand united in condemning hate and evil in all of its very ugly forms."  Not a controversial stance, and one that the vast majority of Americans would agree with.  Yet, surprisingly (or perhaps not), Democratic members of Congress found little to applaud.  President Trump called for a "rebirth of hope, safety and opportunity for our inner cities," and stated that government should "focus on the welfare of the American people."  Democratic response was tepid, at best, even though many Democrats represent this same constituency.  A similar Democratic response was given when President Trump declared that "education is the civil rights issue of our time," and encouraged Congress to allow all American families--black or white, suburban or inner-city--to make an educated decision as to where they would send their children for schooling.  A President that dares to face off against the teachers' unions may be shocking to hard-line Democrats, but is a welcome friend to millions of parents with children stuck in failing schools.

President Trump spoke of other universal, non-partisan, goals.  He said that "millions lifted from welfare to work is not too much to expect."  He said that "our veterans have delivered for this nation and now we must deliver for them."  He stated that while he would work to cut wasteful spending in defense budgets, he would also rebuild our military and immediately work to eradicate the brutal scourge that is ISIS.  He declared that "the time for small thinking is over."  These comments should have garnered Kennedyesque standing ovations . . .

Read more at:

https://www.cameronkinvig.com/single-post/2017/02/28/President-Trump-The-Leader-of-the-Post-Partisan-America-Party

Offline montanajoe

Re: President Trump: The Leader of the Post-Partisan America Party
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 04:40:10 pm »
I was thinking where the GOP is with Trump as its head..came to the conclusion that its a lot closer to Kennedy's democrats of 1960 than Reagan's republicans of 1980...

Conservatives have been shown the door...

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 04:47:51 pm »
I was thinking where the GOP is with Trump as its head..came to the conclusion that its a lot closer to Kennedy's democrats of 1960 than Reagan's republicans of 1980...

One of the Trump invited guests at the GOP convention stood right there on stage and said that if conservatives can't accept gay marriage "There is the door".

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 05:38:29 pm »

That was made evident during the primaries and in the time following the Convention by the Trump militant that have decided that anyone who does not fully devote themselves to Trump was never a Conservative and is 'fake'.

From what snippets I have read of the speech - it played to the populist stuff most Constitutionally ignorant Americans would applaud that do not question the means Trump will employ to achieve his vision.

But regardless of the fact Conservatives have been shown the door in terms of being politically relevant, it was (from hat I have read) the best speech given at a joint session of Congress since 1988 IMO, and certainly a far cry ahead of the Leninist/Marxist/Maoist Castro-type lectures the previous regime force-fed the country.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

geronl

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 06:15:30 pm »
The title alone tells me someone needs time in a sanitarium

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 06:29:54 pm »
The title alone tells me someone needs time in a sanitarium
From what I've read the CPAC convention was way down in attendance because many conservatives chose not to attend. I don't know how many people that actually means, but I would bet most rank and file Republicans (I am not a member anymore) support Trump.
Nevertheless, I think many regular conservatives will go along with/support Trump on a number of his policies.  Certainly, many of his proposals designed to trash King Barack's Marxist initiatives are to be applauded.
But we are still only about one month into Trump's admin. He has promised many things, and many things that are questionable....especially his trade and deficit ideas.  In his speech he has basically promised to solve every problem currently afflicting the country. He will obviously fall well short on solving (or even affecting them positively) many of them.
But I will wait and see what he does.  Really, what else can conservatives do?  Let's hope he has advisors who can steer him away from his nuttier convictions.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 07:42:46 pm »
Fundamental transformation will continue - just down a different path but will ultimately end up near the same place the previous regime desired to take the nation.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline ckinv368

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 08:10:41 pm »
I think the crux of what Trump was proposing is 100% in keeping with conservative values.  He wants to create jobs, so he'll use public/private partnerships to fix infrastructure without having to spend tax dollars to do so.  He wants to make inner-cities safe--law and order has always been a conservative focus.  He wants to enhance the military--very conservative.  He wants to focus on America, American values, and American exceptionalism.  This is very conservative---Republicans have only recently embraced a "police the world" mantra (generally a democrat ideal).

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 09:11:36 pm »
I think the crux of what Trump was proposing is 100% in keeping with conservative values.  He wants to create jobs, so he'll use public/private partnerships to fix infrastructure without having to spend tax dollars to do so.

So Trump's New Deal is using government to award contract bids to private companies in 'partnerships' for infrastructure.    I guess the trains will indeed run on time.    That's a form of fascism in it's literal form.

He wants to make inner-cities safe--law and order has always been a conservative focus.

How is he planning to do that?  Turn Democrat strongholds into mini-Police States ?    Celebrating single-motherhood and promoting Welfare sans any expectation of morals being taught and enforced has been one of your root causes of creating your inner city nightmares. What I've read so far are just more bandaids to be applied to cancer.

He wants to enhance the military--very conservative. 

Can't do that when we're broke, even if military strength and prowess to protect the nation is a main function of the federal government.

He wants to focus on America, American values, and American exceptionalism. 
That all sounds fabulous.   

I've not forgotten Trump is a lifelong liberal NY Democrat. 

I'm simply not confident Trump means any of those talking points beyond pandering and marketing to the groups that support and accolade him.  I will wait and see what he actually fights for and accomplishes that matches all the rhetoric. That will be the measure as to whether or not Trump has transcended from social populism to Conservative principle.

Offline ckinv368

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 09:21:15 pm »
People said the same things about Trump and immigration, and Trump and the Wall.  Come to find out, he's pretty serious about immigration reform and border security.  For once we have a Republican President who seems ready and willing to stick by his campaign promises.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 09:36:21 pm »
 :eatdrink:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Wingnut

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 09:39:53 pm »
:eatdrink:

The chicn368 kids got spunk!  I hate spunk but there it is!

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2017, 09:41:13 pm »
The chicn368 kids got spunk!  I hate spunk but there it is!

Yes, he does, and if you click his source link he's a hella good writer, too.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2017, 09:41:38 pm »
So Trump's New Deal is using government to award contract bids to private companies in 'partnerships' for infrastructure.    I guess the trains will indeed run on time.    That's a form of fascism in it's literal form.

I've always liked the way it is crony capitalism when we don't like it and public/private partnerships when we do.

Personally I don't see how any of it has anything to do with conservatism. True conservatives want as little government as possible. My idea of a conservative president is one who immediately begins to diminish the power of his office instead of waving it like a club.

Just this morning I read that liberal actress Jennifer Garner said she supports Trump's plan to help rural communities. My answer is the same as it was when Obama started his crap with the Rural Council and "helping" us ignernt rednecks. 'No thank you.'

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2017, 09:46:39 pm »
I've always liked the way it is crony capitalism when we don't like it and public/private partnerships when we do.

Personally I don't see how any of it has anything to do with conservatism. True conservatives want as little government as possible. My idea of a conservative president is one who immediately begins to diminish the power of his office instead of waving it like a club.

Just this morning I read that liberal actress Jennifer Garner said she supports Trump's plan to help rural communities. My answer is the same as it was when Obama started his crap with the Rural Council and "helping" us ignernt rednecks. 'No thank you.'

I'd never heard of "Rural Council" so I Googled it.  What a typical illustration of why the gummint needs to stay the hell away from us folks.  I hadn't heard of it because my city's too large.

Link to Wiki describing the Rural Council
I will NOT comply.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2017, 09:52:42 pm »
People said the same things about Trump and immigration, and Trump and the Wall.  Come to find out, he's pretty serious about immigration reform and border security.  For once we have a Republican President who seems ready and willing to stick by his campaign promises.

I'm not ready to award him such affirmation. It's only a month into his tenure and I'm waiting to see if he is going to fight to accomplish any of those things beyond twitter, speeches and decrees.   

Marketing and creating an image of himself that the masses go bonkers for is what he is good at.  I'm waiting to see if it transcends into policy.

Like the other Conservatives here - I want little to no government help - because as Reagan said, the most terrifying words anyone could hear are those.

Offline ckinv368

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2017, 10:03:27 pm »
I'm just happy we have a President who isn't into opinion polls, and who has the character to stick by his guns when the bullets start flying.  Most conservative presidents would have immediately backed off of their executive immigration order when the liberal press started screaming bloody murder.  Not Trump.  He doubled down.  I'm shocked he didn't say he was going to deport people himself!!  We've needed someone to fight for conservative principles for a long time--not just talk about them.  We may or may not agree with 100% of his agenda, but he's sure better than anyone we've had in a long time.

Offline ckinv368

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2017, 10:03:59 pm »
Yes, he does, and if you click his source link he's a hella good writer, too.

Thanks folks!!

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2017, 10:13:42 pm »
I'd never heard of "Rural Council" so I Googled it.  What a typical illustration of why the gummint needs to stay the hell away from us folks.  I hadn't heard of it because my city's too large.

Link to Wiki describing the Rural Council

It comes from the idiotic belief that there is something wrong with small towns and rural areas because they aren't producing jobs. The last time my little town had jobs being produced was during the winter ice harvest which tells you its been a while.

It was a natural migration of industry to centralized locations away from towns like Hanover or Concord to places like Jackson, Albion, Dexter or even Litchfield. Growing up in Hanover it was a matter of working on a farm or driving to Jackson for work. Sure it limits the size of the towns but that's fine with those of us who live here.

The only "help" we need from government is decent roads to get to work and taxes low enough to make it worth the drive. Its why I landed where I am. Its cheaper to live in Jackson county but the pay is better across the county line in Washtenaw county.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2017, 10:49:45 pm »
Thanks folks!!

Welcome to TBR!  Be prepared to take some flak, it's normal for us because we let people say what they want, as long as they stay away fro personal attacks.  Stop by The Lounge sometime when you feel like just chewing the fat with some folks about non-political matters.  We have donuts and coffee.   :seeya:
I will NOT comply.

Offline ckinv368

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2017, 10:53:33 pm »
Welcome to TBR!  Be prepared to take some flak, it's normal for us because we let people say what they want, as long as they stay away fro personal attacks.  Stop by The Lounge sometime when you feel like just chewing the fat with some folks about non-political matters.  We have donuts and coffee.   :seeya:

A little flak is good for everyone.  Gives you your daily dose of iron, if nothing else!

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2017, 11:22:57 pm »
In my opinion, partisanship is good.

Just look at the "No Labels" party for an example of what post partisanship really looks like.

They support stupid crap like mixed D/R/D/R/D/R seating for state of the union addresses. They support dangerous crap like fast track authority for presidents on a whole range of issues. Eliminating approval votes for many presidential appointments. They also support club protection rules like no negative campaigns "Against incumbents" (apparently negative campaigning is ok when used against outsiders.

Silver Pines

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2017, 11:35:46 pm »
I think the crux of what Trump was proposing is 100% in keeping with conservative values.  He wants to create jobs, so he'll use public/private partnerships to fix infrastructure without having to spend tax dollars to do so.  He wants to make inner-cities safe--law and order has always been a conservative focus.  He wants to enhance the military--very conservative.  He wants to focus on America, American values, and American exceptionalism.  This is very conservative---Republicans have only recently embraced a "police the world" mantra (generally a democrat ideal).

Welcome to TBR, @ckinv368.

I don't think we can possibly say that Trump's proposals were 100% conservative.  Paid family leave, a trillion-dollar spending bill, amnesty, tariffs---none of those can be called conservative.

But look, I'll be the first to say that the speech was very good and that, yes, he did come off as quite presidential.  I'm not going to lie. 

Online corbe

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2017, 11:52:56 pm »
Thanks folks!!

Welcome @ckinv368   all voices are heard here.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Wingnut

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2017, 12:09:59 am »
   Welcome @ckinv368   all voices are heard here.

Even the guy going on about that Bob Thompson guy.  Only briefly though....