Author Topic: Study shows how information sources affect voters  (Read 690 times)

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Study shows how information sources affect voters
« on: March 01, 2017, 01:35:54 am »
For all the fact-checking and objective reporting produced by major media outlets, voters in the U.S. nonetheless rely heavily on their pre-existing views when deciding if politicians' statements are true or not, according to a new study co-authored by MIT scholars.

The study, conducted during the U.S. presidential primaries for the 2016 election, uses a series of statements by President Donald J. Trump—then one of many candidates in the Republican field—to see how partisanship and prior beliefs interact with evaluations of objective fact.

The researchers looked at both true and false statements Trump made, and surveyed voters from both parties about their responses. They found that the source of the claim was significant for members of both parties. For instance, when Trump falsely suggested vaccines cause autism, a claim rejected by scientists, Republicans were more likely to believe the claim when it was attributed to Trump than they were when the claim was presented without attribution.

On the other hand, when Trump correctly stated the financial cost of the Iraq War, Democrats were less likely to believe his claim than they were when the same claim was presented in unattributed form.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-02-sources-affect-voters.html#jCp

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: Study shows how information sources affect voters
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 01:37:44 am »
Short version.

People tend to believe what they want to be true.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 01:39:23 am »
Short version.

People tend to believe what they want to be true.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 03:32:59 pm »
I could have saved those eggheads at MIT a lot of time and money.  All they had to do is call me and ask - it's not exactly rocket science.

Or they could have just stopped and asked an Average Joe on the street. 

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 12:35:07 am »
I could have saved those eggheads at MIT a lot of time and money.  All they had to do is call me and ask - it's not exactly rocket science.

Or they could have just stopped and asked an Average Joe on the street.

Doesn't it depend on the day of the week?

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 03:26:17 pm »
Doesn't it depend on the day of the week?

Yes, I rarely answer my phone on the weekends.