Author Topic: Trump Seeks Sharp Increases In Military Spending, "Drastic Cuts" To State Department, EPA  (Read 8745 times)

Offline LonestarDream

As part of his proposed budget, President Trump will instruct federal agencies on Monday to assemble a spending plan for the coming fiscal year that includes sharp increases in Defense Department spending and "drastic cuts" to domestic agencies such as the State Department, the EPA and other non-defense programs, so that he can keep his promise to leave Social Security and Medicare alone, according to four senior administration officials cited by the NYT. The budget outline will be the first move in a campaign this week to reset the narrative of Mr. Trump’s turmoil-tossed White House.

Coming one day before delivering his high-stakes "State of the Union" address on Tuesday to a joint session of Congress, Trump will demand a budget with tens of billions of dollars in reductions to the Environmental Protection Agency and State Department, administration officials reported. The NYT adds that social safety net programs, aside from the big entitlement programs for retirees, would also be hit hard. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, speaking on Fox News earlier on Sunday, said Trump's budget would not seek cuts in federal social programs such as Social Security and Medicare.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-02-27/trump-seeks-sharp-increases-military-spending-drastic-cuts-state-department-epa

More winning..  Never got anything like this under Bush compassionate conservatism. 
(?) Trump Realist    (*) Trump believer   (?) Never Trump,   Which are you ?

Offline Rivergirl

Embassies will be without us, U.S.
A few selected countries will have an ambassador.  Countries where DT does business.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
A few selected countries will have an ambassador.  Countries where DT does business.
A problem with that is that anyone seeking asylum at a US Embassy (esp. US citizens) would have to cross the border to get to an Embassy. If getting out of the country wasn't a problem (for whatever reason), they might not need the help of the diplomats in the first place.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire

@Rivergirl Where did you see that referenced?
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

geronl

Embassies will only be used to secure contracts for Trump companies anyway

geronl

We spend enough money on defense as it is, it just needs to be spent on defense instead of other things

geronl

Congress writes the budget

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Big mistake cutting the funding to the Embassies...IF that goes through.

Effective foreign policy and deterrence requires diplomacy AND a strong military.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
We spend enough money on defense as it is, it just needs to be spent on defense instead of other things

No actually we don't.  3/4 of the marine Air Corps is grounded...the Navy has one possibly two Ohio class submarines that have lost their diver certification...the Air Force B-1 fleet is practically grounded and they are going to Museum pieces to get spare parts.

3 of the 58 Brigades are combat ready and only one could deploy to war right now if called upon.

4% of the GDP goes towards defense...somewhere between 15% and 20% of the GDP goes to unfunded liabilities a.k.a. welfare.

We've been living under CR anfter CR for the last 9 years and it has killed the military...Obama accomplished his goal.

We don't spend enough on defense.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

geronl

No actually we don't.  3/4 of the marine Air Corps is grounded...the Navy has one possibly two Ohio class submarines that have lost their diver certification...the Air Force B-1 fleet is practically grounded and they are going to Museum pieces to get spare parts.

We're spending a lot of it in the wrong places and in the wrong ways.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
We're spending a lot of it in the wrong places and in the wrong ways.

If you're referring to the military budget...no...not really.    There's not a lot of money to spend these days.

Offline LonestarDream

Very scary.

3 of the 58 Brigades are combat ready and only one could deploy to war right now if called upon.

4% of the GDP goes towards defense...somewhere between 15% and 20% of the GDP goes to unfunded liabilities a.k.a. welfare.

We've been living under CR anfter CR for the last 9 years and it has killed the military...Obama accomplished his goal.

(?) Trump Realist    (*) Trump believer   (?) Never Trump,   Which are you ?

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Very scary.

That's just what I pulled off the top of my head.  There are hundreds of unseen cuts and closures that effect the families and the overall morale of the force that never get reported on.  But they have the same impact on the force that the ones I mentioned.  Obama came as close to purposely breaking the military as any Liberal president in my lifetime.

Offline Norm Lenhart

So now we are to hate Trump for fixing the military and gutting two bastions of liberalism because ...why? I sure do remember people complaining when Barry gutted the military and empowered those other bastions of liberalism mentioned above. So what is it you people want exactly? Other than to be an embarrassment to conservatism I mean? Surely you want something. Just check your DNC talking point memos. I'm sure they typed you a rebuttal unless the mindless drooling obscured it's legibility.

Offline endicom

Where did you get that from?

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
All my life I have heard calls to eliminate waste, fraud and abuse from defense spending. All my life I have seen suppliers sign a contract, then come back wanting and getting more money.

Seems like a fixed game and taxpayers and the troops get repeatedly screwed over.

Offline Norm Lenhart

Where did you get that from?

Her ass.

I don't know what the point is to inventing problems to blame Trump for. All the crying wolf isn't helping matters. When the guy screws up or goes left, he damn well should be called on it. Loudly But this running around like chickens with heads cut off every single time he does or even DOESN'T do something is freaking pathetic. If/when he screws up, no one will be left to listen.

And I say that as someone who spent the campaign pointing out the Liberalism Trump is actually guilty of.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
That's just what I pulled off the top of my head.  There are hundreds of unseen cuts and closures that effect the families and the overall morale of the force that never get reported on.  But they have the same impact on the force that the ones I mentioned.  Obama came as close to purposely breaking the military as any Liberal president in my lifetime.

How much of this touched defense contractors? What is the ultimate effect of their political activism upon military readiness?

Eisenhower was right.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98

And I say that as someone who spent the campaign pointing out the Liberalism Trump is actually guilty of.

That you did. And I commend you for your integrity and your insistence on dealing with reality.

Offline endicom

I don't know what the point is to inventing problems to blame Trump for. All the crying wolf isn't helping matters. When the guy screws up or goes left, he damn well should be called on it. Loudly But this running around like chickens with heads cut off every single time he does or even DOESN'T do something is freaking pathetic. If/when he screws up, no one will be left to listen.

Frankly, you surprised me. Instead of gluing yourself to the Ne'erTrump bandwagon, you're assessing the passing parade for what you see there.

Offline Norm Lenhart

Frankly, you surprised me. Instead of gluing yourself to the Ne'erTrump bandwagon, you're assessing the passing parade for what you see there.

I said all along that I'd support the good he did and call him on the bad. Even before he got elected, if in fact he got elected. I'm just sticking to my word on that. And if he goes left or does something really stupid, I'll call him on it as well. So far he is governing largely conservatively. Not entirely, but certainly above Reagan's 80% threshold. So I'll support that until there is a reason not to.

He's going to be president for 4 years. There is no point in taking balls and going home when he is doing many of the things that we all wanted done. Or to be more precise, what most here SAID they wanted done when there was no chance of it actually happening...when there was no cost in doing so.

Online libertybele

Great!  I am very glad to hear it and  I have absolutely no qualms about expanding and increasing our military and I am confident that President Trump will look into slashing unnecessary military expenses such as outrageous contracts with defense contractors.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
All my life I have heard calls to eliminate waste, fraud and abuse from defense spending. All my life I have seen suppliers sign a contract, then come back wanting and getting more money.

Seems like a fixed game and taxpayers and the troops get repeatedly screwed over.

If I could change one thing about how the Pentagon does business...it would be to find a way to prevent officers and Sr. NCO's from writing a position for them to be either hired as a contractor or turn their job into a civilian position the day after they retire...and it's only a job they are qualified for.

Either that or pass legislation that says that if you retire one day and become a contractor doing your same job the next...your retirement pay and benefits are put in on hold until you aren't a contractor anymore.  You want to be a contractor...then you get treated like a contractor.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

Most of us do that.  Shame you don't see it.

Offline dfwgator

Big mistake cutting the funding to the Embassies...IF that goes through.

Effective foreign policy and deterrence requires diplomacy AND a strong military.

A Strong Military IS Diplomacy.