Author Topic: Texas Gov. Wants to Criminally Prosecute Officials Who Adopt Sanctuary City Policies  (Read 725 times)

rangerrebew

Texas Gov. Wants to Criminally Prosecute Officials Who Adopt Sanctuary City Policies
Posted By Sam Dorman On February 24, 2017 @ 2:23 pm In Politics | No Comments

Texas Republican Gov. Greg Abbott said on Thursday that he is seeking to pass a law which would put government officials behind bars for enacting sanctuary city policies.

"Texas is going to come down hard on any city, any county, any public official that adopts a sanctuary city policy," Abbot said on "Fox and Friends."

Article printed from Washington Free Beacon: http://freebeacon.com

URL to article: http://freebeacon.com/politics/tx-gov-wants-to-be-able-to-criminally-prosecute-officials-who-adopt-sanctuary-city-policies/

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Bookmark.

Offline MajorClay

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
Does this mean we're going to start enforcing the law?

Heck of a concept.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
I doubt it will happen mainly because immigration is a federal responsibility.

Better to cut off state and federal funds.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I doubt it will happen mainly because immigration is a federal responsibility.

Better to cut off state and federal funds.
If you are a governor of a state, you could call for legislation making the State Law essentially conform with Federal Law in re:foreign nationals, and making the 'penalty' being remanded to Federal Authorities for processing and deportation upon arrest. I can't see where that would be in conflict with the Federal Law, hence there would be no problem. Both Feds and states have laws against murder, for instance. Not trying anyone for an offense under State law would do away with cries of 'double jeapardy".
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

If you are a governor of a state, you could call for legislation making the State Law essentially conform with Federal Law in re:foreign nationals, and making the 'penalty' being remanded to Federal Authorities for processing and deportation upon arrest. I can't see where that would be in conflict with the Federal Law, hence there would be no problem. Both Feds and states have laws against murder, for instance. Not trying anyone for an offense under State law would do away with cries of 'double jeapardy".
The other point is that a city within a state is part of the state, and is subject to the state's jurisdiction.

The ability of a state to control a city within its borders is a lot more forceful than the federal government's control over a state.  A state is sovereign and reserves all power save a few specific items it ceded to the federal government.  These items can be taken back with support of 3/4 of the states.

A city has a small amount of power and has nothing comparable.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington