Author Topic: Underground network readies homes to hide undocumented immigrants  (Read 511 times)

rangerrebew

Underground network readies homes to hide undocumented immigrants

By Kyung Lah, Alberto Moya and Mallory Simon, CNN
    Updated 6:29 PM ET, Thu February 23, 2017

Underground home network to house immigrants

Los Angeles (CNN)A hammer pounds away in the living room of a middle class home. A sanding machine smoothes the grain of the wood floor in the dining room.

But this home Pastor Ada Valiente is showing off in Los Angeles, with its refurbished floors, is no ordinary home.
    "It would be three families we host here," Valiente says.

By "host," she means provide refuge to people who may be sought by US Immigration and Customs Enforcement, known as ICE. The families staying here would be undocumented immigrants, fearing an ICE raid and possible deportation.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/23/us/california-immigrant-safe-houses/
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 01:18:12 pm by mystery-ak »

Offline thackney

Re: Underground network readies homes to hide undocumented immigrants
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 01:16:07 pm »
8 U.S. Code § 1324 - Bringing in and harboring certain aliens
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1324
(a) Criminal penalties
(1)
(A) Any person who—...
(iii) knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that an alien has come to, entered, or remains in the United States in violation of law, conceals, harbors, or shields from detection, or attempts to conceal, harbor, or shield from detection, such alien in any place, including any building or any means of transportation;...
(v)
(I) engages in any conspiracy to commit any of the preceding acts, or
(II) aids or abets the commission of any of the preceding acts,...
(B) A person who violates subparagraph (A) shall, for each alien in respect to whom such a violation occurs—...
(ii) in the case of a violation of subparagraph (A)(ii), (iii), (iv), or (v)(II), be fined under title 18, imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both;
(iii) in the case of a violation of subparagraph (A)(i), (ii), (iii), (iv), or (v) during and in relation to which the person causes serious bodily injury (as defined in section 1365 of title 18) to, or places in jeopardy the life of, any person, be fined under title 18, imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both; and
(iv) in the case of a violation of subparagraph (A)(i), (ii), (iii), (iv), or (v) resulting in the death of any person, be punished by death or imprisoned for any term of years or for life, fined under title 18, or both....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Underground network readies homes to hide undocumented immigrants
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 01:48:42 pm »
8 U.S. Code § 1324 - Bringing in and harboring certain aliens
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1324
(a) Criminal penalties
(1)
(A) Any person who—...
(iii) knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that an alien has come to, entered, or remains in the United States in violation of law, conceals, harbors, or shields from detection, or attempts to conceal, harbor, or shield from detection, such alien in any place, including any building or any means of transportation;...
(v)
(I) engages in any conspiracy to commit any of the preceding acts, or
(II) aids or abets the commission of any of the preceding acts,...
(B) A person who violates subparagraph (A) shall, for each alien in respect to whom such a violation occurs—...
(ii) in the case of a violation of subparagraph (A)(ii), (iii), (iv), or (v)(II), be fined under title 18, imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both;
(iii) in the case of a violation of subparagraph (A)(i), (ii), (iii), (iv), or (v) during and in relation to which the person causes serious bodily injury (as defined in section 1365 of title 18) to, or places in jeopardy the life of, any person, be fined under title 18, imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both; and
(iv) in the case of a violation of subparagraph (A)(i), (ii), (iii), (iv), or (v) resulting in the death of any person, be punished by death or imprisoned for any term of years or for life, fined under title 18, or both....
That law may be executed quite a lot in the upcoming months.  A few examples of it being used might put the bad taste in the mouth of the abettors.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington