Author Topic: Cruz: Congress should use 'all authority' to rein in activist judges  (Read 476 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Conservative Review
Nate Madden | February 23, 2017

Congress should use every tool at its disposal to rein in activist federal courts, Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas (A, 97%) said in a closed-door meeting with reporters at the 2017 Conservative Political Action Conference Thursday. And this includes limiting their jurisdiction with federal legislation, Cruz stated.

In the last congressional session, Sen. Cruz introduced a bill that would have limited the jurisdiction of federal court on marriage. When asked about similar legislation, the senator reiterated his unapologetically bold thoughts on the subject of judicial overreach.

“We should be using all legislative and constitutional authority to rein in the abuses [of activist courts],” Sen. Cruz said.

Cruz also said Congress should use its constitutionally granted power to limit courts’ jurisdiction in light of President Trump’s recent executive order suspending immigration from high-risk countries in the Middle East and Africa. “Absolutely, we should be looking at the best ways to use that authority.”

Another, quicker means of tackling the runaway judiciary, the Texas senator said, would be appointing an “army of principled constitutionalists [to bring] a generation of new leadership” to the 100-plus federal court vacancies that the Trump administration stands to fill.

https://www.conservativereview.com/commentary/2017/02/cruz-congress-should-use-all-authority-to-rein-in-activist-judges

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Cruz: Congress should use 'all authority' to rein in activist judges
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 12:37:23 am »
Cruz: Congress should use 'all authority' to rein in activist judges

:amen: Sir! 

I have been beating this drum for quite some time now.  Glad to have you on the team.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

geronl

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 02:59:50 am »
Congress has surrendered so much power to the executive branch that it doesn't even remember what it's supposed to do.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 03:44:21 am »

Congress could start by disbanding the 10th and 4th courts.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 03:46:10 am »

Congress could start by disbanding the 10th and 4th courts.

They have the power to do that and more. It's time for them to use that long ignored power.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien