Author Topic: Defense Sec. James Mattis on Pres. Trump calling the press the "enemy of the American people": "I don't have any issues with the press."  (Read 4478 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil

Skeeter is a complete idiot and utter fool. Nobody is arguing the media isn't biased.

Of course it is.  And we are all capable of determining what is right.  If we had a state run Trump media it would be biased too.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline skeeter

Of course it is.  And we are all capable of determining what is right.  If we had a state run Trump media it would be biased too.

Pardon me if I misunderstood but you appear to imply an equivalence in media treatment of the two parties in your post 5.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 10:51:27 pm by skeeter »

Offline MOD3

Skeeter is a complete idiot and utter fool. Nobody is arguing the media isn't biased.

Even inventive insults become boring after a full day of them. Let's take a deep breath, then apologize.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 10:58:48 pm by MOD3 »

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Pardon me if I misunderstood but you appear to imply an equivalence in media treatment of the two parties in your post 5.

What two parties?  There isn't anymore.  Where have you been.  Conservatives and Rhino's are no longer Republicans remember.  The right is more divided than ever. 

Political affiliations

Trump's political party affiliation has changed numerous times over the years. Trump's political party affiliations prior to 1987 remain unclear, though Trump was an early supporter of Republican Ronald Reagan for United States President in the late 1970s.[286] By 1987, Trump had identified as a Republican.[287]

In 1999, Trump switched to the Reform Party for three years and ran a presidential exploratory campaign for its nomination. After his run, Trump left the party in 2001 due to the involvement of David Duke, Pat Buchanan, and Lenora Fulani.[288]

From 2001 to 2008, Trump identified as a Democrat, but in 2008, he endorsed Republican John McCain for President. In 2009, he officially changed his party registration to Republican.[289] In December 2011, Trump became an independent for five months before returning to the Republican Party, where he later pledged to stay.[290][291]

Trump has made contributions to campaigns of both Republican Party and Democratic Party candidates, with the top ten recipients of his political contributions being six Democrats and four Republicans.[292] After 2011, his campaign contributions were more favorable to Republicans than to Democrats.[293] In February 2012, Trump openly endorsed Republican Mitt Romney for President.[294] When asked in 2015 which recent president he prefers, Trump picked Democrat Bill Clinton over the Republican Bushes.[295][296]

According to a New York state report, Trump circumvented corporate and personal campaign donation limits in the 1980s—although no laws were broken—by donating money to candidates from 18 different business subsidiaries, rather than donating primarily in his own name.[297][298] Trump told investigators he did so on the advice of his lawyers. He also said the contributions were not to gain favor with business-friendly candidates, but simply to satisfy requests from friends.[297][299]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Trump

Trump is a new party.  He said it.  Workers Party. He isn't either left or right.  Which gives him the advantage to claim all bias except what comes from him.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline skeeter

Even inventive insults become boring after a full day of them. Let's take a deep breath, then apologize.

The only apology of WTF's I'll accept is the one he owes for NOT being inventive.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Mattis was a very wise pick by the President.

Offline skeeter

What two parties?  There isn't anymore.  Where have you been.  Conservatives and Rhino's are no longer Republicans remember.  The right is more divided than ever. 

I agree, more or less, but you're changing the subject.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

Political affiliations

Trump's political party affiliation has changed numerous times over the years. Trump's political party affiliations prior to 1987 remain unclear, though Trump was an early supporter of Republican Ronald Reagan for United States President in the late 1970s.[286] By 1987, Trump had identified as a Republican.[287]

In 1999, Trump switched to the Reform Party for three years and ran a presidential exploratory campaign for its nomination. After his run, Trump left the party in 2001 due to the involvement of David Duke, Pat Buchanan, and Lenora Fulani.[288]

From 2001 to 2008, Trump identified as a Democrat, but in 2008, he endorsed Republican John McCain for President. In 2009, he officially changed his party registration to Republican.[289] In December 2011, Trump became an independent for five months before returning to the Republican Party, where he later pledged to stay.[290][291]

Trump has made contributions to campaigns of both Republican Party and Democratic Party candidates, with the top ten recipients of his political contributions being six Democrats and four Republicans.[292] After 2011, his campaign contributions were more favorable to Republicans than to Democrats.[293] In February 2012, Trump openly endorsed Republican Mitt Romney for President.[294] When asked in 2015 which recent president he prefers, Trump picked Democrat Bill Clinton over the Republican Bushes.[295][296]

According to a New York state report, Trump circumvented corporate and personal campaign donation limits in the 1980s—although no laws were broken—by donating money to candidates from 18 different business subsidiaries, rather than donating primarily in his own name.[297][298] Trump told investigators he did so on the advice of his lawyers. He also said the contributions were not to gain favor with business-friendly candidates, but simply to satisfy requests from friends.[297][299]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Trump

Trump is a new party.  He said it.  Workers Party. He isn't either left or right.  Which gives him the advantage to claim all bias except what comes from him.

Well said!
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads

Is this kind of personal attack allowed here???
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Victoria33

But as a fellow ex-journo, I'm sure you know that the market for a fair or conservative publication is poor.  City after city, the conservative papers die out while lib ones continue on, as conservatives don't read like libs do.
@Suppressed
@CatherineofAragon 

Didn't know you are an ex-journalist.  It takes four years of college to get a degree in journalism. I don't know what you do now, but you had a good accomplishment at that time.  I hope you worked for a conservative newspaper.  Houston had two newspapers and we took the more conservative one and it finally went down, leaving the liberal one the only one there.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I never thought I'd see disagreement on a conservative board on whether the mainstream media exerts an unfair and intolerable leftward influence on public opinion.

I can name two members that were so stridently anti-Trump, they stated they would vote for Hillary.

So I can only conclude some don't think before they write, and some just don't think period.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
I can name two members that were so stridently anti-Trump, they stated they would vote for Hillary.

So I can only conclude some don't think before they write, and some just don't think period.

You can?  Links please.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline alicewonders

I'd still like to know why this kind of personal attack is being allowed here?

@WTF was asked by a Mod to apologize.......no apology, and the personal insult is still allowed to stand. 

Just wanting some clarification here.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
I'd still like to know why this kind of personal attack is being allowed here?

@WTF was asked by a Mod to apologize.......no apology, and the personal insult is still allowed to stand. 

Just wanting some clarification here.

I'm still waiting for apologies for the times friends of yours called me a traitor.. A liberal...not patriotic and suggested there should be physical retribution for not voting for Trump.

So I guess we'll both be waiting.

Offline alicewonders

I'm still waiting for apologies for the times friends of yours called me a traitor.. A liberal...not patriotic and suggested there should be physical retribution for not voting for Trump.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

The irony of the emoji you posted is complete lost on you isn't it?

Yeah....it is.

Offline alicewonders

The irony of the emoji you posted is complete lost on you isn't it?

Yeah....it is.

Actually, it seems I've got my answer.....personal attacks like that appear to be tolerated.  Good to know!

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical

Comment is deleted.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 01:10:30 am by Weird Tolkienish Figure »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Actually, it seems I've got my answer.....personal attacks like that appear to be tolerated.  Good to know!

You should have known that from the ones your buddies tossed out and continue to toss out.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

I was called a snowflake yesterday so get skeeter needs to get in line.

Comment is deleted.

I guess only one side is allowed to be offended anymore. Since they "won" their insuts are justified and not counted as such in their eyes.

Offline alicewonders

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
buh bye

Do you have anything relevant or intelligent to say about the OP or are you just here to troll?

Offline Suppressed

Didn't know you are an ex-journalist.  It takes four years of college to get a degree in journalism. I don't know what you do now, but you had a good accomplishment at that time.  I hope you worked for a conservative newspaper.  Houston had two newspapers and we took the more conservative one and it finally went down, leaving the liberal one the only one there.

@Suppressed
@CatherineofAragon 

I didn't get a journalism degree -- I studied geology.  ^-^  I was recruited and hired while I was in grad school by some folks trying to make a go at a more conservative local paper.  They hired lots of students and needed some leadership.  From there, I became the editor in chief, and then moved away and started another paper.  It was also conservative, yes, in the sense that it was fair...factual reporting For The Win!

Houston is a great example of what has happened with towns with both conservative and liberal papers.  Lots of conservatives bury their heads in the sand when complaining about media bias, without admitting that it's mere market forces.  Houston, Cincinnati, Denver, Philadelphia, etc... the liberal paper can maintain circulation, but conservatives just don't give the circulation numbers.

I had married one of my editors, and we couldn't afford both of us in journalism and I missed science, so I left the business. 
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
I was the president of a merchant's association for six years, and was interviewed many times by our local news stations and newspaper.  The first time that they asked me questions about how the mayor (who was a conservative Republican woman) was handling things in our area - I was absolutely shocked at how they edited my words to take them out of context so that it appeared I was criticizing the mayor - who I actually had a good relationship with.  I was mortified!  The next time I met with the mayor, I explained to her what they had done.  She laughed and told me not to worry a bit, that was what they ALWAYS did to her!

I wised up on subsequent interviews, and had to carefully parse my words so they couldn't be misreported again - even then, they misinformed by omission and any other way they could. 

So now, I have trouble believing anything the press says - because I KNOW that they lie.  From the local level all the way up.  I have said for years that the media is our greatest enemy.  They were basically state-run during the Obama years, and their bias has been blatant as far back as I can remember.  I remember my father yelling at Walter Cronkite on the television when I was a kid - he taught me how biased they were back then! 

Trump is not wanting to censor the news - he wants to make us all aware of how so many of them LIE to us - to make us view them with a jaundiced eye, as we should.  He is trying to force them to clean up their act, and I like that he is giving some smaller news outlets a chance to ask questions. 

How any conservative couldn't like that is beyond me.   :shrug:

Interesting, Alice.  Your father was way ahead of his time.  Back then most people would have believed the sky was pink if Walter Cronkite said so.

And I totally agree with the points you made.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.