Author Topic: McCain reacts to Trump: Suppressing free press is 'how dictators get started'  (Read 1403 times)

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
McCain reacts to Trump: Suppressing free press is 'how dictators get started'

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/mccain-reacts-to-trump-suppressing-free-press-is-how-dictators-get-started/article/2615251?utm_campaign=Washington%20Examiner:%20News%20From&utm_source=Washington%20Examiner:%20News%20From%20-%2002/18/17&utm_medium=email

Sen. John McCain said that suppressing freedom of the press is "how dictators get started" in response to a tweet from President Trump that called the media "the enemy of the American people."

McCain, R-Ariz., said that having a free press is "a fundamental part of the new world order" when asked by NBC's "Meet the Press" host Chuck Todd to respond to Trump's tweet that specifically calls out the New York Times, NBC and CNN as "fake news media."

snip
-----------------------------------------------------

Let the hate flow through you John, Feel the power of the Dark Side.

Offline flowers

McCain reacts to Trump: Suppressing free press is 'how dictators get started'

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/mccain-reacts-to-trump-suppressing-free-press-is-how-dictators-get-started/article/2615251?utm_campaign=Washington%20Examiner:%20News%20From&utm_source=Washington%20Examiner:%20News%20From%20-%2002/18/17&utm_medium=email

Sen. John McCain said that suppressing freedom of the press is "how dictators get started" in response to a tweet from President Trump that called the media "the enemy of the American people."

McCain, R-Ariz., said that having a free press is "a fundamental part of the new world order" when asked by NBC's "Meet the Press" host Chuck Todd to respond to Trump's tweet that specifically calls out the New York Times, NBC and CNN as "fake news media."

snip
-----------------------------------------------------

Let the hate flow through you John, Feel the power of the Dark Side.

New world order john?

Online DB

McCain is a moron. Using the power of the state to pass laws to restrict the free press is how dictators get started. Not mocking them. And there's plenty to mock...

Offline corbe

Meghan make the damn call, Arizona will give you his seat for 5 more years.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
He's right. Trumps not there yet though.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
No. Dictators NEVER get started by suppressing free press.

Dictators get started when their supporters suppress the free press.

A small but significant difference.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Funny that McCainiac had no problem when Obama was busy doing that during his tenure on the throne.

And yes, it's the mob that does the bidding of the wannabe dictator that makes dictatorship possible.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Taking lessons in free speech or free press from the co-author of McCain-Feingold--whose knowledge of the mob
doing the bidding of the wannabe is comparable to a charwoman's knowledge of astral physics---is a little like
Stalin accusing Mao of human rights violations.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Taking lessons in free speech or free press from the co-author of McCain-Feingold--whose knowledge of the mob
doing the bidding of the wannabe is comparable to a charwoman's knowledge of astral physics---is a little like
Stalin accusing Mao of human rights violations.

That's an excellent point.

Offline Vulcan

Offline Norm Lenhart

Actually I dunno if mighty Thor is the right drug. Give someone an ass full of 100MG and they are reduced to a lot of drooling on themselves, babbling incoherently and random body movements.

Who'd notice any difference?

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/02/john-mccain-takes-on-donald-trump.html?mid=nymag_press

I was thinking about making this a topic. But, I have had my fill of attention whoredom.

Yah. I know I am contradicting myself. Paying attention to attention whores is on par with pig wrestling.

Offline dfwgator

Meghan make the damn call, Arizona will give you his seat for 5 more years.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

McCain is a moron. Using the power of the state to pass laws to restrict the free press is how dictators get started. Not mocking them. And there's plenty to mock...

Excellent post @DB  and worth repeating....often! 

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
McCain's mad because Trump is dissing his buddies, the ones he runs to when he's feeling maverick.
The Republic is lost.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
He's right. Trumps not there yet though.

NO! He isn't! Not by a long shot!   

Telling the press what you think of them is NOT suppression!  When he starts blowing up printing presses and TV stations you might have a case. Until then you don't!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien