Author Topic: Silence the political rants on your Facebook feed  (Read 2033 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Silence the political rants on your Facebook feed
« on: February 18, 2017, 08:09:42 pm »
Facebook didn’t start out as a political pulpit, and there’s no reason it has to be one. If you turn to Facebook to relax and share recipes, photos and life updates with your closest friends, that is absolutely your right. But at the same time, you don’t necessarily want to unfriend people you care about because they happen to be blowhards.

Here are some handy tools for damming the deluge of politics on Facebook. They’re not perfect, but they’ll drastically reduce the spite and vitriol you encounter on social media. I think you’ll be surprised how well they work.

Unfollow the blabbermouths

If only real life were this easy: You can “unfollow” a friend, which means all her posts will vanish from your screen. It’s like having the ability to tell her, “I’m not listening to you anymore,” and everything she says is muted.

Simply find a post from your friend, click the arrow in the top right corner of the post, and hit “Unfollow Theresa,” or whatever your friend’s name is.

Just as when you “unfriend” someone, she will not receive an alert that you’re no longer following her. You have to do this for every one of your loudmouth friends, but for all they know, you’re loving and sharing every single manifesto they post. This is probably the politest way to leave a conversation on social media.

Add a browser extension

There are better ways to protect yourself from political posts. If you use the Chrome browser, there is a special plug-in that will scrub your screen of almost all political posts or comments.

The key word is “almost.” The plug-in cleverly tracks the posts and links your friends share, but it can’t necessarily figure out when a meme has a political subtext. Also, the plug-in works only with Chrome. If you use Safari or Firefox, it is useless.

But if you rely heavily on Chrome, allowing or disallowing politics on your wall is as simple as a thumb-slide to the left or right. Click here to start cleaning up your feed using this browser extension.

More: http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/02/18/silence-political-rants-on-your-facebook-feed.html

Since some people use FB.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Blizzardnh

Re: Silence the political rants on your Facebook feed
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 07:51:13 am »
A fire fox ext. for f b.
http://www.fbpurity.com/

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 09:44:17 am »
But I'd have to sign up to not rant on there.  :shrug:
Nevermind.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 12:14:32 pm »
Eschew Facebook. With prejudice.

Make your family bring over their children and pictures of their children. Make some Monkeybread and put a pot on.
Or grab a six-pack and go visit your friend... or many at once! Anyone ever hear of a tailgate party or a bonfire anymore? Here's a hint: That's how they start!

It's better than fb... I promise.

Offline Blizzardnh

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 12:22:27 pm »
But I'd have to sign up to not rant on there.  :shrug:
Nevermind.
I keep mine deactivated unless I need to steal pics from someone.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 01:48:05 pm »
I keep mine deactivated unless I need to steal pics from someone.
If I had an account, people would befriend me. My circle of 'friends' would be common knowledge among those who can glean that information.

Ain't nobody's business but my own.

If anyone wants to assemble dossier material on me, they will have to work harder than that, I won't do their job for them.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis