Author Topic: Man convicted in Canada's deadliest mass killing is free  (Read 389 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Man convicted in Canada's deadliest mass killing is free
« on: February 17, 2017, 05:24:24 pm »
Man convicted in Canada's deadliest mass killing is free

Arden Dier, Newser staff 10:18 a.m. ET Feb. 17, 2017

(NEWSER) – After two decades behind bars and a year in a halfway house, the only person ever convicted in the 1985 bombing of Air India Flight 182 is free in Canada. Inderjit Singh Reyat, an Indian immigrant and former member of an extremist group fighting for an independent Sikh homeland, was convicted of building two bombs placed on flights departing Vancouver on June 23, 1985. One, hidden in a suitcase on Air India Flight 182, exploded mid-flight, killing all 329 people on board, reports CBC News. The second detonated at Japan's Narita airport, killing two baggage handlers. Reyat pleaded guilty to manslaughter in Canada's worst mass murder. Two others were acquitted, though prosecutors argued that was only because Reyat lied in court to protect them, per AFP.

Continued: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2017/02/17/man-convicted-canadas-deadliest-mass-killing-free/98038978/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_India_Flight_182

Horrible incident, I am not too aware of it.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: Man convicted in Canada's deadliest mass killing is free
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 05:40:26 pm »
Thank goodness the Canadians take the slaughter of over three hundred souls seriously, goodness twenty whole years, what harsh sentence!

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Man convicted in Canada's deadliest mass killing is free
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 05:42:24 pm »
Thank goodness the Canadians take the slaughter of over three hundred souls seriously, goodness twenty whole years, what harsh sentence!

I agree; the only thing I can think of is maybe he's largely a scape goat.

So, they did it for the Sikh cause, all Sikhs of course, should not be broadbrushed with this crime but I was really to aware of this incident.

Really horrific. And most of those killed were Canadian.