Author Topic: How the Center Does Not Hold  (Read 6607 times)

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Re: How the Center Does Not Hold
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2017, 04:50:43 pm »
This is the takeaway.   The seeds were planted with Bork and Roe v. Wade,  and now one-half the country thinks the other half is evil and irredeemable.   And the other half feels the same way. 

And those few of us in the center are despised by both sides!
There's an old saying about white lines and road kill. Just saying.  :beer:
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2017, 04:53:45 pm »
Im talking about what you are criticizing - the approach trump has adapted with regard to the press and his political opponents. im suggesting that this approach might be the only way these days to reach a critical mass of popular opinion. We know what doesn't work.

Conservatism meaning an adherence to constitutional principles and original intent. I think there's general agreement among conservatives that this is the bedrock of their ideology.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2017, 05:08:04 pm »

Never forget:  the person you quoted is a rock-ribbed supporter of Roe V Wade. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2017, 05:18:26 pm »
Never forget:  the person you quoted is a rock-ribbed supporter of Roe V Wade.
Oh this saying has an origin? Fill me in please, I didn't know it went to anyone in particular. All my research turned up was picture of badger and squirrel pancakes with lines over them.   :shrug:

“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2017, 05:23:32 pm »
Oh this saying has an origin? Fill me in please, I didn't know it went to anyone in particular. All my research turned up was picture of badger and squirrel pancakes with lines over them.   :shrug:

I was referring to the poster you quoted (Jazz).  He spent three days on a 400-500 post thread defending the Roe v Wade decision from all protests.  Now he seems to say it's been a cause of strife and division.  Don't know the origination of the white line story.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 05:24:25 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2017, 05:27:39 pm »

Revelation 3:16 - King James Bible:

So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2017, 05:29:49 pm »
Revelation 3:16 - King James Bible:

So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

Spit-takes are in the KJ bible?   888high58888
I will NOT comply.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2017, 05:30:59 pm »
I was referring to the poster you quoted (Jazz).  He spent three days on a 400-500 post thread defending the Roe v Wade decision from all protests.  Now he seems to say it's been a cause of strife and division.  Don't know the origination of the white line story.

The white line story origin is here:

https://www.amazon.com/Theres-Nothing-Middle-Stripes-Armadillos/dp/0060929499/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487352502&sr=8-1&keywords=Yellow+stripes+and+dead+armadillos
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2017, 05:32:12 pm »
Ok now I got it. Think I'm going to go get another coffee. I think @Jazzhead is against it but with very "nuanced" approach. Not a can of worms we need to open again.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2017, 05:36:35 pm »

[/size]Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/444998/michael-flynn-resignation-trump-administration-turmoil-over-leaks

Well, without reading other comments, I've gotta say that I agree with Charles Krauthammer.  He explained yesterday that he was a severe critic of Trump all during the nomination process and maybe even after.

But he then declared that Trump is our president and as a conservative he intends to support him and urges that all conservatives do the same.

It is simply an exercise in vanity to join with the NYTimes and others in criticizing Trump about everything he does ... no matter how petty.

Anarchy will not be loosed upon the world by Trump but by the Dems and the Press.

Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2017, 05:37:38 pm »

Please read my signature, thank you.

Dammit... I've read your signature.  It ain't the Gettysburg address.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2017, 05:39:36 pm »

*snort*

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2017, 05:39:49 pm »

Thank you, Jazzhead. Frank Cannon is a angry, rage filled troll who cannot handle any dissenting opinion.

I warned you yesterday not to provoke Frank Cannon.  He could do you harm and he might find you.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2017, 05:42:36 pm »
I was referring to the poster you quoted (Jazz).  He spent three days on a 400-500 post thread defending the Roe v Wade decision from all protests.  Don't know the origination of the white line story.  Now he seems to say it's been a cause of strife and division.

Seems every horrific evil that we read or see on the 'news'/internet today, can be tied to discarding your own child/offspring as a matter of convenience.

In that sense, @Jazzhead is correct.

And it's getting worse, now that the hook-up, Tinder Generation is the 'norm'.

Circling the drain....

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2017, 06:02:23 pm »
Seems every horrific evil that we read or see on the 'news'/internet today, can be tied to discarding your own child/offspring as a matter of convenience.

In that sense, @Jazzhead is correct.

And it's getting worse, now that the hook-up, Tinder Generation is the 'norm'.

Circling the drain....

I don't think so.  Maybe I'm an optimist but I believe more people are beginning to realize that abortion is wrong.

I remember about ten years ago in a Bible class (liberal Episcopalian) I told the teacher that abortion was wrong.  He was genuinely shocked.  I explained that it weakens the moral fiber of society.  I left his gasping.  He had assumed I was a rational being.

Liberals simply refuse to address the horror of killing our young, but more and more people are beginning to ... sonograms help a lot !

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2017, 06:05:05 pm »
Spit-takes are in the KJ bible?   888high58888

:laugh:  Everything's in the Bible!   888high58888

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2017, 06:07:28 pm »
I don't think so.  Maybe I'm an optimist but I believe more people are beginning to realize that abortion is wrong.

I think so too.  Persuasion works slowly, but it does work.  What I objected to on that other thread was state-enforced coercion on a matter of individual conscience,  which has poisoned the civic discourse in this nation.
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2017, 06:09:11 pm »

I remember about ten years ago in a Bible class (liberal Episcopalian) I told the teacher that abortion was wrong.  He was genuinely shocked.  I explained that it weakens the moral fiber of society.  I left his gasping.  He had assumed I was a rational being.

Liberals simply refuse to address the horror of killing our young, but more and more people are beginning to ... sonograms help a lot !

Absolutely correct.

A picture is worth a thousand words..dollars...babies.    :beer:
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 06:09:59 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2017, 06:09:52 pm »
Absolutely correct.

A picture is worth a thousand words..dollars...babies.    :beer:
:amen:

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2017, 06:13:51 pm »

Offline r9etb

« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2017, 06:15:22 pm »

They don't "refuse to address it."  They address it by creating euphemisms designed to mislead as to the identity of what is being destroyed.  Modern sonogram technology provides an unambiguous way to reassert the truth of what is being done.

The underlying reasons for supporting abortion deserve to be named, and addressed individually.  Some of those include: convenience to the mother, health of the mother, deformities in the child, abortion is big money, the child is a burden to society, using abortion as birth control, and "you aren't the boss of me".

Some of those reasons are simply indefensible, and to address them individually would lead to an incremental reduction in abortions.  "Convenience of the mother," and "abortion is big money" are perhaps the low-hanging fruit in that debate.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2017, 06:19:53 pm »

For example, what "constitutional principles" are you talking about?  What is "original intent," and why is it important, and why should we adhere to it in a world that in many respects is immeasurably different from the one in which the Founders wrote the Constitution?

I only want to address this one point - the world may look superficially different, but I argue that on a basic level, it's pretty much the same as it has been since humans came onto the scene.  Adam and Eve are as relevant today as they were when the story was first told.

I have heard the argument, for instance, that the First Amendment is not particularly applicable today because when the FFs wrote it they couldn't have envisioned a world where most of us carry around little computers called cell phones, and the internet, and emails and whatevers. The basic rights to freedom of religion and speech are still applicable, regardless of the medium used. 

Some leftists claim that the Second Amendment is no longer valid because it was written at a time that muskets were the cutting edge of weaponry and that an AK could hardly be considered to fall within the limitations of the Second.

I don't understand your argument.  In what fundamental ways has society changed to the point that the Constitution is no longer valid?

Wingnut

« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2017, 06:22:32 pm »
I set my preferences so to block all sigs.  so if is worth reading he will have to post it in the main body of his post every time.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2017, 06:24:55 pm »
I set my preferences so to block all sigs.  so if is worth reading he will have to post it in the main body of his post every time.

I didn't know you could do that, but I get so much entertainment value from his sig that I wouldn't miss it for the world.  It's good for the soul to have a big belly laugh every single day!

Offline r9etb

« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2017, 06:36:22 pm »
I don't understand your argument.  In what fundamental ways has society changed to the point that the Constitution is no longer valid?

You misunderstand my point.  The context of my comment is, how can we sell conservatism to people who are not conservatives?

Those are examples of questions for which we need to develop answers that will be compelling to others.  The ones I listed are questions already raised in various ways, and we don't do a good job of answering them.  "Because I said so," is not a convincing answer; and "because a bunch of guys said so 230 years ago" is even less convincing.