Author Topic: Harvard scientists pledge to bring back 'woolly mammoth' from extinction within two years  (Read 1552 times)

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer

Sarah Knapton, Science Editor, in Boston

17 February 2017 • 10:35am

"Woolly mammoths" could be brought back from extinction within two years, the scientists behind a groundbreaking resurrection project have said.

World-renowned geneticist Prof George Church and his team at Harvard University have been working for the past two years on recreating the DNA blueprint of the mammoth.

They have used DNA from mammoths that were preserved in Arctic permafrost to look for the genes that separated them from elephants, such as those with code for a shaggy coat, big ears and antifreeze blood.

By splicing the mammoth genes into the genome of an elephant embryo, the team believe they can recreate a mammoth-elephant hybrid, which would have all the recognisable features of a mammoth.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/02/16/harvard-scientists-pledge-bring-back-woolly-mammoth-extinction/
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Oceander

Oh goody.  Another endangered species the eco-freaks can use to bludgeon the rest of us with. 

Offline Idiot

Sarah Knapton, Science Editor, in Boston

17 February 2017 • 10:35am

"Woolly mammoths" could be brought back from extinction within two years, the scientists behind a groundbreaking resurrection project have said.

World-renowned geneticist Prof George Church and his team at Harvard University have been working for the past two years on recreating the DNA blueprint of the mammoth.

They have used DNA from mammoths that were preserved in Arctic permafrost to look for the genes that separated them from elephants, such as those with code for a shaggy coat, big ears and antifreeze blood.

By splicing the mammoth genes into the genome of an elephant embryo, the team believe they can recreate a mammoth-elephant hybrid, which would have all the recognisable features of a mammoth.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/02/16/harvard-scientists-pledge-bring-back-woolly-mammoth-extinction/
This ought to work out well.........

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
I hope they don't use frog DNA to fill in the gaps.   We've all seen how that turns out.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline r9etb

I hope they don't use frog DNA to fill in the gaps.   We've all seen how that turns out.

It gave us Dolores Umbridge?

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
This ought to work out well.........
I can't wait for them to be reintroduced into the Frank Church Wilderness River of No Return Wilderness area.  :smokin:
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline r9etb

I can't wait for them to be reintroduced into the Frank Church Wilderness River of No Return Wilderness area.  :smokin:

They ain't seen "overgrazing" until they've seen what a giant pachyderm can do.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
They ain't seen "overgrazing" until they've seen what a giant pachyderm can do.
Yeah, but if we can just get the numbers back so we can hunt them. Prepare to be put the test Paelo dieters; it's time to find out if all that cross fit was worth it.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline dfwgator

What could possibly go wrong?

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
Oh goody.  Another endangered species the eco-freaks can use to bludgeon the rest of us with.

Using basic English and logic, a species that can be re-created at will cannot possibly be "endangered."
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I bet they're delicious.

Offline r9etb

Yeah, but if we can just get the numbers back so we can hunt them. Prepare to be put the test Paelo dieters; it's time to find out if all that cross fit was worth it.

"Hey, Bob!  Spear season's coming up, and got my spear tag...."

Oceander

Using basic English and logic, a species that can be re-created at will cannot possibly be "endangered."

You, I, and all rational people would agree.  Unfortunately eco-freaks aren't among those groups. 

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Now you see it that way, while I had this thought

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdX6fwfrULI

You have to watch it all the way through.

@Oceander
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 01:25:17 am by GtHawk »

Offline Suppressed

I bet they're delicious.

My buddy wrote about this expedition he went on...

https://www.amazon.com/Mammoth-Resurrection-Ice-Age-Giant/dp/0738207756

(it was terrible and made people sick.)

Though it might not be bad fresh!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer

A sizeable herding of jumping mammoths could devastate subdivisions.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley