Author Topic: Tesla driver crashes car to save man having stroke  (Read 873 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Tesla driver crashes car to save man having stroke
« on: February 17, 2017, 08:07:54 am »
MUNICH

A Tesla driver is being hailed a hero after authorities in Munich said he used his luxury electric car to stop another driver on the Autobahn who appeared to be suffering from a stroke.

The Tesla driver, who was identified by German newspaper Munchner Merker as Manfred Kick, was driving north on Bundesautobahn 9 near Munich on Monday evening when he noticed a VW Passat driving erratically.

When he pulled his €70,000 ($74,460) Tesla Model S up to the Passat, he realized the driver appeared to be in serious trouble, according to The Local.de.

"The driver had tipped forward and hung motionless in his seatbelt," Kick told Munchner Merker. "His head and hands hung limply. … I had to stop his car somehow, otherwise it would have continued forever. And it was clear that the driver needed help quick."

With what fire officials described as "incredible courage," Kick overtook the Passat. In front of the other car, Kick slowly pumped his brakes until both his Tesla and the Passat came to a stop.

He got out of his car and went into the Passat to check on the man, who he determined had a pulse, but was also foaming at the mouth.

"I felt like I was in a movie," Kick told Munchner Merker.

He had another driver who stopped to help call emergency services. The Passat driver was in stable condition Tuesday.

Fire officials said the Passat's driver, 50, "had a serious medical condition." He appeared to have suffered a stroke, according to Munchner Merker.

More and autoplaying video: http://www.ajc.com/news/national/tesla-driver-crashes-car-save-man-having-stroke/ihUVcNsWZXa0FljecXrdkI/

According to the story, Tesla is doing the repairs for free as a thank you.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Tesla driver crashes car to save man having stroke
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 09:49:53 am »
Nice of the driver to go above and beyond to attempt the rescue, and even nicer of Tesla to fix his car free. I hope the rescued driver does well.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 05:36:36 pm »
Kudos to the man who helped, but are we to infer he wouldn't have done the same if he had been driving an Opel? To me the car he was driving is rather superfluous to the deed. :shrug:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 05:45:11 pm »
Kudos to the man who helped, but are we to infer he wouldn't have done the same if he had been driving an Opel? To me the car he was driving is rather superfluous to the deed. :shrug:
As long as the brakes are up to the task, I would think so.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 05:48:52 pm »
Teslas are not common in Germany - there's about 2000 in the country. So it's notable to the German press - bit like someone in the US using a Lambo to stop a runaway car.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink