Author Topic: Trump Appoints Art Historian Victoria Coates to National Security Council  (Read 838 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
An art historian now holds one of the most important national security jobs in the country. Dr. Victoria Coates, who received her Ph.D. in Art History from the University of Pennsylvania in 1998, was tapped in late January to serve as President Trump’s senior director for strategic assessments on the National Security Council. The news was first reported by the Washington Post. 

Coates began her professional pivot from the arts to defense in the mid-2000s while blogging about national security for the conservative website RedState. At the time, she was also teaching art history at the University of Pennsylvania. Former Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld told Business Insider he saw “smart analysis and sharp writing” in her blog posts, and reached out for help researching his book after he left office. After assisting Rumsfeld, who oversaw invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan during his tenure as Secretary of Defense under George W. Bush, Coates continued to burnish her national security credentials while pursuing her career in art history.

She later assisted former Texas governor Rick Perry during his short-lived campaign for president in 2012. That time overlapped with her tenure as a consulting curator at the Cleveland Museum of Art (CMA), a position she held from 2010 to 2013. Coates, whose specialty is Italian Renaissance art, curated the CMA’s exhibition “The Last Days of Pompeii: Decadence, Apocalypse, Resurrection.”

More recently, she worked as a national security advisor to Texas senator Ted Cruz, helping him craft his defense policy during his failed bid for the Republican presidential nomination last year. Cruz advocated for escalating violence against ISIS in the Middle East. During a December speech, he said the U.S. under his leadership would “utterly destroy ISIS. We will carpet bomb them into oblivion. I don’t know if sand can glow in the dark, but we’re going to find out.”

The political viewpoint Coates will bring to the National Security Council represent a break with the prior administration. She has voiced strong opposition to the nuclear deal with Iran, a key policy initiative of former U.S. President Barack Obama. She also has been fiercely critical of the Obama administration’s position on Israel, forcefully arguing against a two-state solution based on the country’s 1967 borders. During her tenure with the Cruz campaign, Coates reportedly made interns read Ronald Reagan advisor Jeane Kirkpatrick’s “Dictatorships And Double Standards,” a 1979 essay in which Kirkpatrick argues dealing with anti-communist authoritarian regimes is actually good for human rights on the whole, since it prevents the rise of communism.

Though she has never published a book about national security, she released David’s Sling: A History of Democracy in Ten Works of Art last year. In a February 2016 review in the Washington Post, the Post’s non-fiction book critic Carlos Lozada said, “Coates reconsiders art, artists and their patrons through their relationships to freedom and democracy, writing with equal conviction whether those ties are strong or ambiguous.” Lozada also urged Cruz, then Coates’s boss, to read the book if partly to “reverse his plan to eliminate the National Endowment for the Arts.” Some are worried that the NEA still faces existential threats under a Trump presidency.

In the book, Coates said her time working with Cruz influenced her art history research. She has linked those studies to her belief that the United States should not become entangled with long-term nation-building efforts overseas. “That is also one of the great lessons of my new book, David’s Sling. Liberty is hard to both achieve and preserve. Liberty is very difficult to impose. It can be encouraged, but it’s very, very hard to impose,” Coates told the alt-right website Breitbart in an interview.

Her background in art history has provoked criticism in past. Writing in Esquire when Coates was still an advisor to Cruz, writer and former soldier Robert Bateman charged her with having “zero national security experience” and not understanding the high stakes reality of military conflict. He noted that Coates has never served in the Pentagon, the military, the State Department, or the intelligence community.

A spokesman for the National Security Council did not return a request for comment.

Read more: https://www.artsy.net/article/artsy-editorial-trump-appoints-art-historian-national-security-council

:shrug:

I'm going fishing.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Trump Appoints Art Historian Victoria Coates to National Security Council
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 07:38:46 pm »
For a LONG time the Army officer in charge of security for all our nuclear devices in Europe was a man who's degree was in - yes indeed - Art History!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 07:42:52 pm »
For a LONG time the Army officer in charge of security for all our nuclear devices in Europe was a man who's degree was in - yes indeed - Art History!

Truth be told, I did such a great job in getting my BBA in Public Accounting, the Army made an Air Defender out of me! I was so looking forward to serving in Finance Corps, but it wasn't to be.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 07:44:39 pm »
Watch the left go after her for not being connected to the military.  Meanwhile, they opposed Mattis because he was a military man, and there should be "civilian oversight."  I tell ya, we cannot win.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 07:49:39 pm »
So an art historian/blogger/policy crafter, for National Security Council.

The next thing you know, you'll have the National Enquirer and Gateway Pundit getting press credentials.. oh wait, never mind...

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 07:55:02 pm »
Truth be told, I did such a great job in getting my BBA in Public Accounting, the Army made an Air Defender out of me! I was so looking forward to serving in Finance Corps, but it wasn't to be.

My old co-worker washed out of being a helicopter pilot because he had flat feet. 

...they put him into leg infantry.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 07:57:04 pm »
Watch the left go after her for not being connected to the military.  Meanwhile, they opposed Mattis because he was a military man, and there should be "civilian oversight."  I tell ya, we cannot win.

"They'd bitch if they was hung with a new rope."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 09:34:50 pm »
She's a vast improvement over the unprofessional, community-organizer amateurs that we've had for the last 8 years!

Oceander

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 09:49:33 pm »
So an art historian/blogger/policy crafter, for National Security Council.

The next thing you know, you'll have the National Enquirer and Gateway Pundit getting press credentials.. oh wait, never mind...

It's sounds like she's got a wee bit of experience over and above art history.  I can't really fault this one based solely on the article.