Author Topic: Brand New Maths Could Finally Explain How Disturbances Propagate Through Space-Time  (Read 1075 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
The Universe as we know it is made up of a continuum of space and time - a space-time fabric that's curved by massive objects such as stars and black holes, and which dictates the movement of matter.

Thanks to Einstein's gravitational waves, we know disturbances can propagate through both space and time. But what's less understood is exactly how that happens when properties of the fabric is continuously shifting.

That could soon be about to change. Researchers have just come up with a brand new mathematical framework that could finally explain how disturbances move through a dynamic space-time fabric - a concept known as 'field patterns'.

If that sounds mind-achingly complex, it's because it is - we're in the realm of theoretical physics here, after all. But the basic concept isn't actually that bizarre.

Field patterns, put very simply, break down space-time into a chessboard, like the one you can see below. The black squares represent one material, and the white squares represent another material with different properties.

The horizontal dimension of the chessboard represents space, and the vertical dimension represents time:

Now picture a disturbance, such as a pulse of laser light, moving forwards in time (starting at the bottom of the chessboard) and spreading out in space through the boundaries of each chessboard square, as in the animation above.

What field pattern theory aims to describe is the propagation of that pulse, and where it will end up. To do this, Milton and colleague Ornella Mattei use computer simulation to test and observe how a range of theoretical systems and patterns would behave.

You can see another example of those computer models in the illustration below - that pattern at the top is a field pattern:

Much more, plus graphics and video: http://www.sciencealert.com/mathematicians-might-finally-be-able-to-explain-how-disturbances-propagate-through-the-fabric-of-space-time
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Oceander

About bloody time. 

Offline andy58-in-nh

About bloody time.
That's relatively true.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Oceander

geronl

I'm going on record as opposing the word "maths".

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
I'm going on record as opposing the word "maths".

LOL, I thought the same thing. I even gave it a quick look up. It seems in the UK, maths is the acceptable plural of math, while in the US, math serves in both the singular and plural form.

There goes EC colouring up our language again. I'm surprised they don't spell it mauths.

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
We watch so much British television, I hardly notice the differences anymore.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Our plan to re-annex you moves forward smoothly.  888bravo

Oh. Nothing to see here. Just random words .... :whistle:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...

:silly: :silly:

Careful...  :patriot:

... or should I say mind how you go.  :nono:
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 01:26:26 pm by guitar4jesus »

Offline andy58-in-nh

We are well aware of your manoeuvres in our theatre of operations, and will endeavour to maintain a stout defence against British efforts to return the British colours to our shores.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Oceander

This, my friend, would be a case of "careful what you wish for, lest you get it."  I'm not sure there's enough room in the Commonwealth for such a white elephant!

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"Brand New Maths"...

Examples:
1+3=6
5-2=7
2x4=14
12/3=1