Author Topic: The Never-Ending Quest to Build a Hotel in Space  (Read 1625 times)

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
The Never-Ending Quest to Build a Hotel in Space
« on: February 14, 2017, 09:34:29 pm »
THE NEVER-ENDING QUEST TO BUILD A HOTEL IN SPACE
Daniel Oberhaus
FEB—13—2017 10:49AM EST

The idea for a hotel in space is almost as old as the space race itself. It began at the 13th conference of the American Astronautical Society in 1967, two years before Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin became the first people on the moon. The topic of the conference was “Outer Space Tourism,” and it was there that Barron Hilton, son of the hotel mogul Conrad Hilton, gave a talk about hotels in space.
“Barron Hilton had always had this fascination with flying,” Mark Young, a historian at the University of Houston, told The Outline. “He was a glider pilot and sponsored airplane races, and this all kind of dovetailed into his passion for space hotels.”
Hilton imagined the first space hotels, dubbed Orbiter Hiltons, as something like “Hilton Inns, for short trips to space,” accommodating space tourists in low Earth orbit until they continued on to the Moon and other planets.
The hotels would be modeled after a conceptual space research lab designed by Don Douglas Jr., president of the Douglas Aircraft Company, who was known for dreaming up ideas for space stations. The buildings “would be 14 stories high and could comfortably accommodate up to 24 people,” Hilton told the conference attendees. “Now that may sound like a pretty small hotel, but my father’s first hotel in Socorro, New Mexico … only had 10 rooms.”...

https://theoutline.com/post/1073/hilton-never-ending-quest-to-build-a-hotel-in-space
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: The Never-Ending Quest to Build a Hotel in Space
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 02:10:33 am »
Screw building one in space. Build one on the moon.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 02:12:54 am »
I'd stay in either.

geronl

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 05:55:40 am »
Screw building one in space. Build one on the moon.

I agree. There is far too much space junk in low-earth orbit for me to want to stay there.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 06:19:15 am »
The big selling point will be zero G sex. Rent the pod by the hour, The management is not responsible for inhalation of stray globules of bodily fluids or other contaminants...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 11:08:27 am »
I agree. There is far too much space junk in low-earth orbit for me to want to stay there.

Astronaut Chris Hadfield says that zero G isn't nearly as much fun as people think it is. He says its fun when you're just playing in zero G but you miss gravity pretty quickly once you start trying to do actual work.

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 01:59:28 pm »
Astronaut Chris Hadfield says that zero G isn't nearly as much fun as people think it is. He says its fun when you're just playing in zero G but you miss gravity pretty quickly once you start trying to do actual work.

I have ~1000 parabolas on the Vomit Comet.  I will testify that it looks like a lot more fun than it really is.

If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 02:41:26 pm »
I have ~1000 parabolas on the Vomit Comet.  I will testify that it looks like a lot more fun than it really is.

The human body is made to work against resistance and nearly everything humans make is also made to work against that resistance.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 02:50:05 pm »
The human body is made to work against resistance and nearly everything humans make is also made to work against that resistance.

Including sex...... :smokin:

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 05:20:03 pm »
Including sex...... :smokin:

Hit a ping pong ball against the drapes for a demonstration.