Author Topic: Conservatives fret GOP is blowing Obamacare repeal  (Read 9695 times)

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Re: Conservatives fret GOP is blowing Obamacare repeal
« Reply #100 on: February 16, 2017, 01:58:31 am »
Let's get real for a moment.  The fixing or replacement of the ACA is going to be extraordinarily difficult, and bound to disappoint those in the fever swamps.    The reason is the political realities of the age, realities that spawned ObamaCare and doomed it to failure.

Contrary to the folk tale,  the ACA is not a nefarious stalking horse for single payer, although there are no doubt those on the left who'd love the chance to replace it with single payor.   The temptation is irresistible if you deem health insurance to be a right -  if that's the case,  then spread its costs among the entire community, preferably in a progressive fashion. 

But the reality is that access to health insurance is very arbitrary in this country, and you can blame government policy for that.  It depends on whether you have a stable job with a stable employer.  And that causes inequities in, literally, matters of life and death, to be equally arbitrary.  Lots of hard working folks don't have health insurance.   

The ACA has its intellectual origins in 70s-era conservatism.   How to address the access issue through a private insurance marketplace without single payer  Require everyone to purchase insurance, and the pool will be large enough to sustain a market of guaranteed access insurance for all. 

But the political underpinnings of the ACA are all post-Bork partisan warfare.   The ACA garnered no GOP support,  yet Dem support was near unanimous.   So that required the ACA to basically be the bill that was able to satisfy the blue dog Democrats,  the most moderate elements of the party that would be willing to sign on.    The left essentially compromised with Democratic moderates, leaving a failed mess of the left's costly benefit mandates coupled with the blue dogs' insistence on a private insurance market financed by forced participation by both individuals and employers.

The boot's on the other foot in 2017.   Not one Democrat will support any GOP plan to fix or replace ObamaCare.  Not one.  Tit for tat.  We screwed them, they will screw us.   No, the only way we are going to be able to fix or replace ObamaCare is to do it the same way the Dems did.    The right will need to compromise with what the moderates and libertarians want  - the Susan Collinses and the Rand Pauls.    The moderates will dictate the result and the right will have to bend.   Why?   Because it has to be a near-unanimous compromise, or nothing will get done and the failures of the ACA - compounded by the uncertainty - will be laid at the political doorstep of the GOP.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 02:01:45 am by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #101 on: February 16, 2017, 02:12:11 am »
Contrary to the folk tale,  the ACA is not a nefarious stalking horse for single payer,

That makes you either ridiculously ignorant of what the architects of ObamaCare said the intent for this Act was themselves, or you are an Apologist for it.

I'm going with the latter.

The temptation is irresistible if you deem health insurance to be a right -  if that's the case,  then spread its costs among the entire community, preferably in a progressive fashion. 

So you just outed yourself from under the "Conservative" sheep's cloth you put over yourself to hide your true Progressive self.  Only a Leftist would ever suggest spreading the costs among everyone and forcing us all to pay for something a few imbeciles decree to be a 'right'.

The ACA has its intellectual origins in 70s-era conservatism.   How to address the access issue through a private insurance marketplace without single payer  Require everyone to purchase insurance, and the pool will be large enough to sustain a market of guaranteed access insurance for all. 

Right out of the encyclopedia for Marxism 101.

You can stop pretending to be a Conservative Republican now.

You have laid yourself bare for all to see. 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 02:12:40 am by INVAR »
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #102 on: February 16, 2017, 02:15:21 am »
But the reality is that access to health insurance is very arbitrary in this country, and you can blame government policy for that.  It depends on whether you have a stable job with a stable employer.  And that causes inequities in, literally, matters of life and death, to be equally arbitrary.  Lots of hard working folks don't have health insurance.   
Indeed, and unless you live in the cities or suburbs, or work for the government, health insurance is very hard to come by. Heck, health CARE is very hard to come by, which makes insurance worthless anyway. Where I live the doctors are 25 miles away in any direction and the few dentists we have are so overbooked it's impossible to get in—and this is in a county of 80,000 people, not exactly the middle of nowhere. (Even when you can get into the dentist there's no real guarantee they'll actually do the work you need done, either.)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #103 on: February 16, 2017, 02:18:33 am »
 :beer:   Got the fool to respond. 

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #104 on: February 16, 2017, 02:19:00 am »
I strenuously object to the very idea of being forced to pay for the healthcare of those who engage in every form of  sexual perversion  known to man!

No  way will I be forced to do that.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 02:20:33 am by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #105 on: February 16, 2017, 02:21:14 am »
Indeed, and unless you live in the cities or suburbs, or work for the government, health insurance is very hard to come by. Heck, health CARE is very hard to come by, which makes insurance worthless anyway. Where I live the doctors are 25 miles away in any direction and the few dentists we have are so overbooked it's impossible to get in—and this is in a county of 80,000 people, not exactly the middle of nowhere. (Even when you can get into the dentist there's no real guarantee they'll actually do the work you need done, either.)

I've never had a good relationship with a dentist.   

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #106 on: February 16, 2017, 02:22:41 am »
That makes you either ridiculously ignorant of what the architects of ObamaCare said the intent for this Act was themselves, or you are an Apologist for it.
One could argue—and I hold this belief—that the reason the ACA/Obamacare is such a debacle is because it was a botched attempt at compromise. Remember: Obamacare, as originally proposed, had a public option. THAT would have set the stage for a path to single-payer. The public option was stripped from the finished bill in a desperate attempt to get the majority of votes to pass it.

So, as of now, there isn't really a path forward to go from the ACA to a single-payer system. The gulf is just as wide now as it was before the bill was passed. The groundwork for it is not in place.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #107 on: February 16, 2017, 02:22:42 am »
A few years ago I had to get major dental work done as Chron's disease and healthy teeth are on opposite sides of the planet due to nutrient absorption). I could have spent about 10K up here at dentists getting my mouth fixed.

I ended up going to Mexico and taking my life into my hands with oral surgery. Obamacare would not have meant squat one way or another regardless. Fortunately I got the work done and done WELL in a clean, if older equipped place, for just under $1K.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #108 on: February 16, 2017, 02:23:58 am »
I've never had a good relationship with a dentist.
There is one VERY good one. But like I said, he's overbooked and it's hard to get in to see him.

The other one was just a waste of my time.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #109 on: February 16, 2017, 02:25:52 am »

A fool didn't respond. A fool posted more increasingly pro leftist nonsense. Invar merely corrected the fool's Democrat talking points.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #110 on: February 16, 2017, 02:28:34 am »
One could argue—and I hold this belief—that the reason the ACA/Obamacare is such a debacle is because it was a botched attempt at compromise. Remember: Obamacare, as originally proposed, had a public option. THAT would have set the stage for a path to single-payer. The public option was stripped from the finished bill in a desperate attempt to get the majority of votes to pass it.

So, as of now, there isn't really a path forward to go from the ACA to a single-payer system. The gulf is just as wide now as it was before the bill was passed. The groundwork for it is not in place.

BS Jimmy. Obamacare itself is the groundwork for single payer and the only reason that isn't in our faces this very moment is the highly unexpected election of Trump.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #111 on: February 16, 2017, 02:33:19 am »
 :beer: :beer:

Got the other fool to respond

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #112 on: February 16, 2017, 02:35:56 am »
BS Jimmy. Obamacare itself is the groundwork for single payer and the only reason that isn't in our faces this very moment is the highly unexpected election of Trump.

Incrementalism is how the left works. Enviro stuff/gay marriage/regulations...Americans will buy/accept anything if it's sold or forced on them a piece at a time.

"Well it's not THAT much different...besides, what can we do?"

And with that, the left wins victory after victory.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #113 on: February 16, 2017, 02:37:18 am »

Says the guy thats openly and loudly pro abortion, pro Islam and pro Obamacare on a conservative forum.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #114 on: February 16, 2017, 02:41:43 am »
The sad truth is that Republicans don't want to repeal Obamacare.  Which is why they voted to fund it in 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016.  And they will do so again in 2017.

One Republican candidate stood alone admitting that he liked the Obamacare mandates.  And that was the candidate who won the GOP nomination in 2016.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #115 on: February 16, 2017, 02:48:55 am »

I politely asked you to spell out the necessary fixes to Obamacare, upthread...but nothing yet.

Since you claim to have competence in this field, and since the GOP  are going to struggle, I sincerely would like your input.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2017, 02:52:18 am »

This "FOOL" ALWAYS responds to Liberal Leftist bullshiite passing itself off as 'reasonable' among likeminded Conservatives.

So continue patting yourself on the back.  You make fine practice and you also illustrate yourself plainly for everyone else to see through the disguise you wear.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #117 on: February 16, 2017, 02:52:56 am »
I politely asked you to spell out the necessary fixes to Obamacare, upthread...but nothing yet.

Since you claim to have competence in this field, and since the GOP  are going to struggle, I sincerely would like your input.

People in hell sincerely want ice water. They will get refreshed before the DNC ambassador gives you a straight answer.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #118 on: February 16, 2017, 02:53:28 am »
Incrementalism is how the left works. Enviro stuff/gay marriage/regulations...Americans will buy/accept anything if it's sold or forced on them a piece at a time.

"Well it's not THAT much different...besides, what can we do?"

And with that, the left wins victory after victory.

It would be difficult to quantify the number of times I have witnessed that  exact thing over the course of my life.  You would think we would  eventually catch on and learn how to defend against the  play!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 02:54:02 am by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #119 on: February 16, 2017, 02:54:57 am »
This "FOOL" ALWAYS responds to Liberal Leftist bullshiite passing itself off as 'reasonable' among likeminded Conservatives.

So continue patting yourself on the back.  You make fine practice and you also illustrate yourself plainly for everyone else to see through the disguise you wear.

I think Jazzy Godiva has pretty much exposed himself openly up there on his high horse over the last few weeks. He's not remotely trying to hide it at this point.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #120 on: February 16, 2017, 02:56:09 am »
It would be difficult to quantify the number of times I have witnessed that  exact thing over the course of my life.  You would think we would  eventually catch on and learn how to defend against the  play!

Because everyone is a conservative until election day.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #121 on: February 16, 2017, 02:58:47 am »
Because everyone is a conservative until election day.

Yeah  I've noticed!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #122 on: February 16, 2017, 03:00:09 am »
Yeah  I've noticed!

Winning! No matter what!

Must be that tiger blood.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #123 on: February 16, 2017, 03:10:37 am »

Thanks for asking,  TS.  Try my post # 38 for a start.  Reform the exchanges to offer more choices. Let consumers make their own decisions about what and how much to insure.  Let individuals insure themselves the way businesses do - by tax deductible spending coupled with stop loss insurance.   Encourage doctors to offer special pricing for cash transactions.   Separate at least some of the chronically sick from the general insurance pool by forming risk pools funded with general tax revenues.  Incentivize employers to turn over their employees to the exchanges so they can inject the marketplace with dollars and healthy lives.    When I have time, I can expand further.  My dog's just reminded me it's time for his evening walk.   

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #124 on: February 16, 2017, 03:34:56 am »
Thanks for asking,  TS.  Try my post # 38 for a start.  Reform the exchanges to offer more choices. Let consumers make their own decisions about what and how much to insure.  Let individuals insure themselves the way businesses do - by tax deductible spending coupled with stop loss insurance.   Encourage doctors to offer special pricing for cash transactions.   Separate at least some of the chronically sick from the general insurance pool by forming risk pools funded with general tax revenues.  Incentivize employers to turn over their employees to the exchanges so they can inject the marketplace with dollars and healthy lives.    When I have time, I can expand further.  My dog's just reminded me it's time for his evening walk.

Thanks. I am very disappointed the GOP is not ready, despite campaigning to end/replace Obamacare for years and years.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln