Author Topic: The Deadly A-10 Warthog: Why the U.S. Military Can't Kill the "Flying Tank"  (Read 720 times)

rangerrebew

The Deadly A-10 Warthog: Why the U.S. Military Can't Kill the "Flying Tank"
[1]
Main Image

It is a true warrior on the battlefield.
Kris Osborn [2]

By virtue of being able to fly at slower speeds of 300, the A-10 can fly beneath the weather at altitudes of 100 feet. This gives pilots and ability to see enemy targets with the naked eye, giving them the ability to drop bombs, fire rockets and open fire with the 30mm cannon in close proximity to friendly forces.

“We shoot really close to people. We do it 50-meters away from people. I can sometimes see hands and people waving. If I get close enough and low enough I can see the difference between good guys and bad guys and shoot,” Haden explained.

Known for an ability to keep flying after taking multiple rounds of enemy machine gun fire, land and operate in rugged terrain, destroy groups of enemy fighters with a 30mm cannon and unleash a wide arsenal of attack weapons, the A-10 is described by pilots as a “flying tank” in the sky -- able to hover over ground war and provide life-saving close air support in high-threat combat environments.

Source URL (retrieved on February 13, 2017): http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/the-deadly-10-warthog-why-the-us-military-cant-kill-the-19417

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Why would anyone want to kill it is the question!

It works!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Wingnut

These were taken the other day.  The boys from Eglin AFB were playing in the bay by my house.

Looking right at the camera!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
These were taken the other day.  The boys from Eglin AFB were playing in the bay by my house.

GREAT pics!  Thanks for sharing them with us!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

Tremendous aircraft. I got to watch a few in Nevada when I was working out there. Those guys were flying like raptors on the hunt. My first impression: "Damn!  I'm sure glad they aren't hunting ME!"
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis